Sign in to follow this  
jasonnewyork

Remove glued tires from wheels

How would you bake it, in an oven, at what temp?

Is acetone ok for plasitcs? I would think it would discolor or melt the plastic?

How would you bake it, in an oven, at what temp?

Is acetone ok for plasitcs? I would think it would discolor or melt the plastic?

Acetone will leave some (not all) Tamiya wheel plastics as a melted puddle of goo. I would only use that as a last resort after testing on a small area.

Try boiling the wheels/tires first. Use some string to keep them off the sides.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61017

- James

Also try putting them in the freezer for 15 mins or so and then taking the tires off.

I've tried this recently with some success

This is for a vintage JRX Pro. I think the wheels are made out of nylon, but not too sure. I know this is a Tamiya forum, but do you guys know what they used back then?

I watched Jang's video and read all of your suggestions. So what do you think is the best option based on the car?

The reason I'm asking, looks like it's impossible/hard to find 2" x 1.5" wheels and tires for this thing, so trying to keep costs down by recycling the wheels. I found NIB Losi tires on EBay for a reasonable price, but the wheels are $70US+ with shipping :) . I see all the new wheels are hex drive, mine uses the old skol pin. Anyone know where to buy new wheels and/or adapters? Thanks for all your help.