Thommo

Egress Bin Find

Tamiyadan is spot on accept just one thing, the prop shaft mount is shorter on the Avante due to its shorter wheel base.

Thanks guys, yes it all helps and I have encountered some of the suggested issues such as screws seared off in the threaded posts and cracked plastic everywhere. OK so the Egress is completely stripped now with all the plastic parts cleaned using hot soapy water and all of the metal parts cleaned using Wurth parts cleaner. Lucky for me, all of the parts trees I needed are compatible with Avante 2011. I have also ordered the metal parts bag and motor plate. These are all coming from a UK supplier that Tamiyoman knows pretty well. They are very nice people to deal with and I greatly appreciate their assistance. A friend of mine is fabricating front swivel hubs (knuckles) and the collapsable front end piece from solid billet aluminium. Only a few screws need replacing so they will come straight out of my spares. I have decided to keep the white star dish wheels as they are in mint condition and I will most likely fit spire spike or square spike tyres. This is going to be occasionally run rather than a new build replica so I am happy to go with some mild modification. Thanks for reading, keep the tips coming and the next update should have some images too!

I'm thinking of doing an Egress resto project but it's unlikely I'll run it ( I want to copy the reviewed Egress in RRC October 1989)

Should I start off with the Egress or could I get away with using an Avante 2001?

I'm thinking of doing an Egress resto project but it's unlikely I'll run it ( I want to copy the reviewed Egress in RRC October 1989)

Should I start off with the Egress or could I get away with using an Avante 2001?

Well I think TamiyaDan's Egress Buyers Guide thread pretty much nailed how to do it.:P

Here is a snapshot of where I'm at right now with the build. Most of the chassis parts are saved or new. I will definately be running this...gently.

post-36321-1302008298_thumb.jpg

post-36321-1302008328_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to the recent Egress/Vanquish threads I got Eggy out of the box for a butchers. Now I've decided to use as many of the original to car parts and build it as a runner first. All the extra plastic from Avante 2011 can be used later when Eggy retires.

All the mechanicals are original including bearings and all but a couple of screws. Non original parts are wheels, tyres, body, decals, rear gearbox covers and the front cross member (front hinge).

Egress281011002.jpg

This is my work station.

Egress281011001.jpg

Oh and I still need a steering servo link. :D

WAOOOOOOO,,,, another Eggy on the show,,,,great mate......

it is good feeling to see Egress/Vanquish threads after looooomg lime..

cheers

• Like 1

Yeah, this project has been shelved for months and the recent builds (you & Wez) have really motivated me.

When I stripped it down, the front cross member which is meant to be two piece was in five pieces. A friend is making me an alloy replacement which will kick start this project again. Then I can start thinking about which motor/esc and radio to run it with. All suggestions welcome.

I can't wait to be honest, this is a top shelf car for me.

Yeah, this project has been shelved for months and the recent builds (you & Wez) have really motivated me.

When I stripped it down, the front cross member which is meant to be two piece was in five pieces. A friend is making me an alloy replacement which will kick start this project again. Then I can start thinking about which motor/esc and radio to run it with. All suggestions welcome.

I can't wait to be honest, this is a top shelf car for me.

Thats great mate,,,,,

so waiting for the cross member to arrive then and see wats next :lol:

Looking good Thommo :lol:

With my front and your rear we almost make a whole Egress :lol:

Did you manage to find a steering rod yet?

Have you decided what you're gonna do with the body? Boxart or something different?

Oh and I still need a steering servo link. :lol:

If you can't find an Egress one, the steering rod 5315013 from the Avante 2001 shares the same part number as the Egress one.

Can be found in the 2001 Rod bag.

There is couple on the bay, £15/£20 :lol:

Thats great mate,,,,,

so waiting for the cross member to arrive then and see wats next ;)

Got it yesterday. Thanks to Hux Sr for the awesome job, built from scratch. Machined from aluminium billet, just check out his work on the front hubs (magic).

Huxsparts-1.jpg

Looking good Thommo :)

With my front and your rear we almost make a whole Egress :lol:

Did you manage to find a steering rod yet?

Have you decided what you're gonna do with the body? Boxart or something different?

No luck with the steering rod yet. <_< Getting a 2001 rod bag will be the last option though.

I'm going PS41 Bright Silver with clear windows. Maybe some orange accents if I get brave. White star dish wheels only because these were on the car as found (in a bin). I have some spire spikes for those. I have no idea what to run in it yet but deciding is half the fun. :D

Got it yesterday. Thanks to Hux Sr for the awesome job, built from scratch. Machined from aluminium billet, just check out his work on the front hubs (magic).

Huxsparts.jpg

No luck with the steering rod yet. <_< Getting a 2001 rod bag will be the last option though.

I'm going PS41 Bright Silver with clear windows. Maybe some orange accents if I get brave. White star dish wheels only because these were on the car as found (in a bin). I have some spire spikes for those. I have no idea what to run in it yet but deciding is half the fun. :)

This is AWESOME............. ( i want some... :lol: )

Dear,, i have a steering rod.....

but the problem i live in Oman,,,,,

the best i can do for you is charge u for shipping only....

but ofcourse, ur chance to go for the full bag set, if the cost is near :D

This is AWESOME............. ( i want some... <_< )

Dear,, i have a steering rod.....

but the problem i live in Oman,,,,,

the best i can do for you is charge u for shipping only....

but ofcourse, ur chance to go for the full bag set, if the cost is near :)

Thanks TE, I would be stoked if you could find out how much. I will see if I have something that might be a good trade and PM you. :lol:

I can't offer any aluminium front hubs sorry. They are a one off set and took many hours to produce. Much better than the die cast ones you see on ebait though.

Thanks TE, I would be stoked if you could find out how much. I will see if I have something that might be a good trade and PM you. <_<

I can't offer any aluminium front hubs sorry. They are a one off set and took many hours to produce. Much better than the die cast ones you see on ebait though.

PM sent mate

FYI: The original Egress front suspension mount has been re-relased with the Vajra

gallery_14.jpg

Also the Egress style steering rod on the Vajra has been beefed up. Includes ball connectors on both ends instead of that cruddy slip fit into the servo saver. Way better setup.

is there a close up picture of the re-released suspension mount for the Vajra?

No, but you can bet they just took the Egress/2001 mold out of storage and started stamping out parts again. That picture definitely shows the two piece front mount with the hole for the Vanquish body mount that only came with the carbon-chassis upgrade kit.

be-careful ;). the 2001 did not use the front lower shock mount.

the lower shock mount for the egress is a 2 piece metal stamp out.

Of the low res pictures on the internet for the vajara there is no clear shot of the lower front suspension mount. in some photos it just looks like they used the mount on the suspension arm like the 2001 or vanquish. which is different on the egress.

There is no parts listing for the truck, nor a manual available to look at. On ebay they have a few kits for sale no parts.

Since the kit is already discontinued :) i'm sure it will be impossible to find out for sure unless you want to spend over 400-500$ for one to find out if BF8 and Bf9 are included for sure.

from the photos its impossible to tell anything.

Well,, i have 2 pairs full set of these parts............:),,,waoo makes a fortune...loool

be-careful ;). the 2001 did not use the front lower shock mount.

the lower shock mount for the egress is a 2 piece metal stamp out.

Of the low res pictures on the internet for the vajara there is no clear shot of the lower front suspension mount. in some photos it just looks like they used the mount on the suspension arm like the 2001 or vanquish. which is different on the egress.

There is no parts listing for the truck, nor a manual available to look at. On ebay they have a few kits for sale no parts.

Since the kit is already discontinued :) i'm sure it will be impossible to find out for sure unless you want to spend over 400-500$ for one to find out if BF8 and Bf9 are included for sure.

from the photos its impossible to tell anything.

lower shock mounts and lower suspension mounts are two different things. The 2-piece Egress/2001 lower "suspension" mount I'm talking about is the black plastic part that connect the two front lower A-arms to the front of the gearbox. Same purpose as the large block that Thomo had reproduced in aluminum.

Your talking about the stamped-steel Egress lower shock mounts (cantilever style). You can easily tell from the pictures that the Vajra does NOT use them.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58497

You experts are overwhelming! I get lost trying to follow your conversations... ;)

Not a criticism, I'm just not able to fill in all the gaps that you naturally do inside your heads... <impressed>...

Can you identify by part number according to Egress manual? If it's impractical that's cool too... but I'd like to follow because a 100% Egress restore is a real dream.

You experts are overwhelming! I get lost trying to follow your conversations... ;)

Not a criticism, I'm just not able to fill in all the gaps that you naturally do inside your heads... <impressed>...

Can you identify by part number according to Egress manual? If it's impractical that's cool too... but I'd like to follow because a 100% Egress restore is a real dream.

Ah yes, I can definitely see how this can get confusing as we have even confused ourselves.

I'm talking about the N1 & N7 parts (page 7 step 9) which have now been re-released via the Vaj, and TamiyaDan is talking about the BF4 BF8 & BF9 parts (page 11 step 18) which have not been re-released.

A shock/damper mount, mounts the shock/damper.

A suspension mount, mounts the suspenion (ie control arms). I guess another/better term would be front crossmember. :)

I spend too much time thinking about cars.