Thommo

Egress Bin Find

Ah yes, I can definitely see how this can get confusing as we have even confused ourselves.

I'm talking about the N1 & N7 parts (page 7 step 9) which have now been re-released via the Vaj, and TamiyaDan is talking about the BF4 BF8 & BF9 parts (page 11 step 18) which have not been re-released.

A shock/damper mount, mounts the shock/damper.

A suspension mount, mounts the suspenion (ie control arms). I guess another/better term would be front crossmember. :)

I spend too much time thinking about cars.

Nice one, thanks. Much clearer for me now! :D

it would be nice if the BF8 and BF9 reproduction parts would hit the market already.

I have a spare bf8/9 if anyone needs it :)

You guys are really killing me all the BF parts availability. It would be interesting to try the Egress shock setup on my Vanquish... :D

Must be strong. Must resist. :)

You guys are really killing me all the BF parts availability. It would be interesting to try the Egress shock setup on my Vanquish... :D

Must be strong. Must resist. :)

and just checked my staff,,, i have 3 pairs of the BF set B)

Any one has the BP1 & BP2 ( Rear Are Stay ) from the Avante 2001,,,,so i will trade with the BF8 & BF9........ :)

There are ways around a few of your concerns. Yes you can still use unmodified bodies with the Egress or hi-cap shock tower. This is what I do. The catch is you will have to unbolt the shock tower every time you want to remove the body completely. With the way these cars are setup, it's not as big an issue as you might think. You only need to remove the body to service the ESC, and motor (servo too for Vanquish tub). The battery is always serviced by removing the undertray or tub bottom door. Plugging the pack in is can be done by lifting up the side of the plastic body, which is easy since the bodies only mount with two snap pins down the center-line.

The front Vanquish body mount can still be used with any style front shock tower. Even though there is a snap-pin nub on the Vanquish shock tower, it is not for the Vanquish body (rather for using Avante bodies on the Vanquish). Either way, you can use the Vanquish or Avante/Egress parts to make any of the bodies work.

The Vanquish and Egress steering bridges are identical. The Vanquish is FRP and the Egress is Carbon. The bell cranks are different, but still interchangeable as well (I have Egress/2001 bearing Bell cranks w/ stock Vanquish steering bits.

Changing the way the front upper arms mount vs the front shock tower is a concern. On both my Vanquish, I think I used the Egress setup. My shelf-car uses Vanquish rear upper arms in the front (oversized ball connectors instead of sleeve bushings). My runner has the blue Egress upper arms.

The real trick is using hi-caps in the back of a Vanquish tub chassis setup. This is where the rear shocks mount inside the lower a-arms like the original Avante. Tamiya's recommended setup renders those shocks almost useless with zero droop. Additionally the shocks are almost fully compressed once installed (at least that's how it looks). I had to swap the steel lower mounts from right to left and then flip them upside down to allow a longer shock. Then I had to cut custom spacers for the shock shafts to get the correct rear shock length. The spacers that come with the hi-caps are too long which causes the assembled shocks to be silly short. Took me a few tries. But once I got it sorted, I was very pleased with the results.

They are NOT identical

I can confirm that, the steering plates are indeed different. Creates different geometry, different handling.

Basicly one is wider one is narrower.

I prefer the one on the Avante 2001.

I can confirm that, the steering plates are indeed different. Creates different geometry, different handling.

Basicly one is wider one is narrower.

I prefer the one on the Avante 2001.

Dan is talking about the Egress & Vanquish plates. Without lining them up, they seem identical. The 2001 plate is obviously WAY different than both.

Vanquish

egress-chassis-almost-finished2.jpg

Egress

dscf3680x.jpg

Doesnt the length of the Egress steering plate cause bumpsteer? Atleast the original Avante one does.

I use a steering asembly from Tamiya 05 m-chassis. Havent tried driving with it yet, but on the table it produses alot less bumpsteer atleast when moving the car up and down.

19nov2011_064.JPG

post-24075-1321711176_thumb.jpg

Doesnt the length of the Egress steering plate cause bumpsteer?

That's exactly the reason why the Avante 2001 has a different steering plate from the Egress.

unequal-length double wishbone suspension will always have bump-steer. It is only minimized by designing it properly. And even then it is only minimized at a specific ride height. Since our cars have adjustable height suspension, you will never have it perfect. No matter what the length of the tie rods are.

This is how you make a near zero bump-steer setup. All three arm planes have to intersect at the same point in space (called the instant center). As you can imagine, as soon as the angle of the arms changes (ie: alter ride height), you start to encounter bump steer. It's not as big a deal as you think:

BumpSteer.jpg

But the Avante is far from perfect ! Just trying to improve

Well let us know how much it cuts of your lap times.

Not having time to work on this has been haunting me lately. It would even wake me up at night sometimes. :lol:

Anyhow, thanks to Huxy Snr for the handmade parts and good member Tamiya Era for the steering servo link, literally the last link in the parts chain.

Egress021211001.jpg

This has come up pretty tight with some shimming and note the prop shaft ends are loaded with AW grease before using heatshrink as a boot.

Egress041211003.jpg

Egress041211002.jpg

Hot from every angle this chassis and very 80's. Thanks Mr T.

Egress041211001.jpg

Egress041211004.jpg

I've retained as many original parts as I could including the scratched up plastic because I want to give her a good last hurrah before eventual retirement.

The next thing to decide on is what motor to run in it? I won't be buying a 540VZ or Dyna Tech anytime soon. Suggestions are very welcome! :lol:

An amazing looking...just like new......i feel soooooo excited when see such a chassis waoooooooooooo.... ( carbon fiber fever ) :lol:

cheers mate....

for the motor,,, why dont u go for: Dyna Run Super Touring Motor....

I've retained as many original parts as I could including the scratched up plastic because I want to give her a good last hurrah before eventual retirement.

The next thing to decide on is what motor to run in it? I won't be buying a 540VZ or Dyna Tech anytime soon. Suggestions are very welcome! :lol:

Consider the initial state this is a miraculous restore, well done!

For the motor, well if you've eliminated the 01R then the 02H falls into the same cost category so that's possibly eliminated too. As Tamiya Era say then I'd go for the Dyna-Run Super Touring, it will still fit the mold quite nicely. Or really, if you want to save any more just get a black can RS-540 Sports Tuned (53068) which is about $25 and will still look the part for sure. You don't really need a 10 turn motor in these cars! :lol:

#Update# Better pics in daylight.

Not having time to work on this has been haunting me lately. It would even wake me up at night sometimes. :lol:

Anyhow, thanks to Huxy Snr for the handmade parts and good member Tamiya Era for the steering servo link, literally the last link in the parts chain.

Egress021211001.jpg

This has come up pretty tight with some shimming and note the prop shaft ends are loaded with AW grease before using heatshrink as a boot.

Egress041211003.jpg

Egress041211002.jpg

Egress041211001.jpg

Egress041211004.jpg

I agree, from every angle it looks hot and it is very 80's. However, I feel the guys at Tamiya HC were not inspired by Mr T but rather by this 80's figure.

bell222airwolf.jpg

I can just imagine the turbine whistle as your car performs a pass by!

I agree, from every angle it looks hot and it is very 80's. However, I feel the guys at Tamiya HC were not inspired by Mr T but rather by this 80's figure.

bell222airwolf.jpg

I can just imagine the turbine whistle as your car performs a pass by!

Ah, Airwolf, what a classic!