Thommo

Egress Bin Find

I wonder where you did find these front alloy knuckles...

Max

Hi Max,

These are custom made from billet aluminium. They are a one only set that took my friend many late nights to make them.

Huxsparts-1.jpg

• Like 2

Here's an update now that I've worked out the front end. There is custom parts, modified Avante steering bridge, Avante Hop-Up front shock tower, Egress 2013 rear shock tower, remove front stabiliser bar, front shock lower mount as per Egress 2013, Technigold with 21t steel pinion and DF03 wheels / JC Barcodes,

IMG_2018_zps0r5azgr8.jpg

IMG_2017_zpsr1okzyp1.jpg

IMG_2015_zps7hsi9rng.jpg

IMG_2010_zpsry8vba0a.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good there thommo . We need to run our Egress again some time , that was a fun day .

But it's coming along nicely .

• Like 2

The original Avante steering bridge is the worst option. It has the least amount of ackerman an d the greatest amount of bump-steer (both bad things). I believe it was designed to work with the upper holes on the aluminum uprights too.

The egress/Vanquish bridge has more ackerman, and the 2001 steering bridge has better bump-steer. Either of those is a better option for handling.

• Like 1

The original Avante steering bridge is the worst option. It has the least amount of ackerman an d the greatest amount of bump-steer (both bad things). I believe it was designed to work with the upper holes on the aluminum uprights too.

The egress/Vanquish bridge has more ackerman, and the 2001 steering bridge has better bump-steer. Either of those is a better option for handling.

Hi Sean, I know what your saying if it was all original parts but in this case the changes are specific to the custom front hubs. The Avante steering bridge was modified, flipped upside down and used quite deliberately to bring the tie rods parallel with the suspension arms and also to achieve more suspension travel. Without going into too much detail, the difference here is the custom alloy front hubs which changed the geometry because of a changed position of the outer tie rod end. The result was horrendous bump steer (bump out) with the Egress steering bridge and also limited suspension travel as the inner tie rod adjuster would foul on the outside end of the steering bridge and bind up the suspension movement (a feature of standard Egress set up) so it was never getting as much up travel as possible. The result with this new set up is this car has zero bump steer and maximum possible suspension travel. Akerman stays the same as standard which is pretty much zero. The improved travel and no bump steer is more important to me than ackerman angle because my Egress is used off-road.

Hey matman, thanks for the comment and looking forward to another run Mate. Cheers.

• Like 2

So , it runs better now , with that setup ?. Well it sounds like it . Nice work .

Like night and day !

The biggest improvement comes with the front shock tower and shock position. It's the Avante 2001 / Egress 2013 position, it made front grip heaps better.

Notice the Steering bridge is flipped upside down and mounted on top of original Egress steering arms not underneath like the Avante.

Ah I didn't even notice the alloy hubs. Interesting to see they put the tie-rods in line with the upper arms (in reference to the ground). That would definitely eliminate bump-steer.

Hi Max,

These are custom made from billet aluminium. They are a one only set that took my friend many late nights to make them.

Huxsparts-1.jpg

I want a a pair of them :-P

I really like your solution to remove Bump-steer, excellent work.

• Like 2

how did I miss this thread? ... shame on me, awesome mate, looking great, and I just broke the arm on my Egress 13 steering, so interested to see what you come up with.

Thanks z00ter. My custom parts were scratch made before the Yeah racing steering hubs became available. I'm not sure about the Yeah racing version but mine we're made thicker at the arm to improve strength but this raised the tie rod outer location and changed the geometry. Then I had to mess around to make this correction.

Getting your steering tie rods parrallel with the suspension arms is the key to reducing bump steer. Also check that the inner adjuster on the steering tie rod doesn't foul on the outer edge of the steering bridge. If you push the front of the car down and the tie rod touches the edge of the steering bridge before the shocks bottom out, then you're not getting full suspension travel. Worth checking with the Yeah racing hubs I think.

• Like 2

This chapter closes with the last two pics I have of Eggy as a true vintage runner, taken at last years WATC run.  Running her with the Technigold fully timed up was heaps good fun too, real vintage nostalgia.

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

Next chapter is Shelf Queen !  ;)

• Like 4

On 2/16/2011 at 7:17 PM, Thommo said:

Thanks Rosey, I will be subscribing as soon as I've got a budget for the Egress and can't wait to start posting my projects. I'm definately leaning towards fix it up to run as suggested, maybe some 2.2 wheels and Tyres and a BZ Super Stock to start with. I do value everyones opinions and suggestions so please keep them coming and don't be scared to elaborate. Thanks again.

Regarding the wheels just get any 2.2 light coloured wheels and use Rit dye to dye them black. 

• Like 2