Sign in to follow this  
Tom05

Tire Question

I got a TL-01. I was wondering if it's a must to glue the stock rubber tires to the wheels?

----Also----

Are tire inserts necessary or can we substitute it with something else?

Thnx

Tom

Yes glueing is nessecary. other wise the tires will fly off at full speed. a medium to thin superglue will do the trick.

the foam inserts are okay but your car will handle better if you install a shaped insert. plus tey are reusable when your tires wear out.

Jim

i found this to be a problem also.

i bought some superglue yesterday and glued the tyres.

only real problem is that the superglue gets every where, including all over your fingers.

i think i'd rather use a different glue in future, and one that takes a while longer to dry.

maybe something like a airfix glue.

that's why you must use the force wisely. or else you will end up glueing the tire to your hand and your lips to your teeth

Jim

If you have access to Shoe Goo, or Zappa Dappa Goo, it works great too. I find it at shoe stores or most larger department stores here in the US. It gives you more time to work the tire just the way you want it on the rim, excess cleans up fairly easily so no glue mess on your wheels and tires, plus the tires can be removed later on and the wheels reused. Just let it set up overnight.

Shoe Goo is probably too heavy to be used as tire glue, you might cause imbalance problems.

Tyre gluing shouldn't be a messy job. You should mount all the tyres and make sure they're all nicely seated on their beads before even opening the glue tube. Peel a little bit of tyre away at a time and put a small drop in the gap, then move on; about 5-6 drops per side is plenty.

There are also "tyre glueing helpers" you can buy if you really need to.

Lots of us have used shoe goo for years on our racers without any balance problems. A very thin application is all that is needed, not a big thick bead. The bonus is that it lets you try different tire inserts and tire compounds without ruining the expensive tires, wheels and inserts as they can be easily disassembled and reused. Once you find the combination of insert/tire compound that works, then CA the tires.

I have never been able to spread Shoe Goo thinly, and it always pulls into a long strand too... is there a secret to it? [:(]

The best way I have found is to first put the tube in hot water to warm it up, then I spread it with a small bladed slotted screwdriver, just a little at a time. I have to admit it is more time consuming than using CA, and I don't particularily like the smell in a closed room. Also, once the Shoe Goo tube is opened, it tends to get less flexible as it dries out in the tube, even when closed. That's why I like zap a dap a goo, it stays "fresh in the opened tube" and also doesn't smell as bad as shoe goo.

Shoe Goo cures as its solvents evaporate... and the metal tube can get perforated as you squeeze it. Trick to store it long time is to seal the whole tube tightly into an airless ziplock bag.

CA cures in contact with moisture, so store longterm it where there isn't any. Mine lives in the 'fridge. I always buy the smallest tubes.

Silicone sealant is the same too, I keep it in the freezer.