THE HP FREAK

Got me a Tamiya "WILD WILLY"

HI!... The opportunity came to to buy this Tamiya "WILD WILLY", so I took it. This is a original, (1982) not a re-re. It's in pretty good shape. I need to restore it but 98% is there. Should be a nice little shelfer when it's done. I'll update this thread as the restoring goes.

th_987655040.jpg

th_987655026.jpg

th_987655027.jpg

th_987655022.jpg

th_987655023.jpg

th_987655024.jpg

th_987655025.jpg

th_987655035.jpg

th_987655034.jpg

th_987655033.jpg

th_987655032.jpg

th_987655031.jpg

th_987655030.jpg

th_987655029.jpg

looks like PO hacked out the battery tray to fit a stickpack, which is a pity... most other cars its ok,

but in WW losing the tray sides causes structural instability with the motor hanging off that ledge :lol:

looks like motor may have been replaced with a newer metal endbell unit?

would be interesting to see more pics of the re-power job when you get around to dissecting it

HI!... Well I have another Wild Willy I can use for parts. It still has a mint battery tray and original motor.

yea that's serendipitous! :)

its good to have 2 body posts back there linking direct to the chassis;

i usually carry the thing with the body's rear rollbar too

I'm the PO, and yes, I "hacked" the battery cover. I was 15 at the time and my hump pack died. I never knew it would be worth anything in the future and at that age I didn't care :).

FYI: the motor is original with the kit. If you look refer to the instruction manual, Tamiya supplied a heat shrink wrap from the factory. The WW was marketed with a water tight chassis so the wrap sealed the cooling vents that come stamped into the side of the 540 motor.

And even with my mod, the chassis was still rigid and the body didn't move around anymore than stock as the battery was sandwiched in bewteen. It worked at the time. Before selling it to HP FREAK, I considered keeping it, but finding a new hump pack is next to impossible. It's too bad there isn't a way to accomodate flat packs w/o cutting the chassis.

After seeing some of HP FREAK's posts, I have the utmost confidence my old WW will be restrored to it's former glory!

ahh ok, was wondering about the bullet connectors on the yellow/green wires... usually its just twist + black shrinkwrap :)

yeah your grey shrinkwrap doesn't show any bump near the edge, usually the plastic endbell shows up a ridge under the shrinkwrap

its not that easy to fit a newer 540 motor to WW, would be neat if it was replaced