mongoose1983

Subaru Brat decalling tips

Hey everyone.

I have been trying to finish a re-re Subaru Brat body but found a problem to do so and I'm here to ask you if there is anything I can do to make the black/gold decals provided in the kit fit the hard body. None of the door handles fit the clear spaces in the stripe decals and I'm giving up finding a way to finally get the decals on the body. I have seen people making this without any problems. Could you be so kind to let me know how y'all did it? Any tips will be welcome.

You all have a good Monday.

Does anybody know of a good way to make these decals fit the hard-body of the Subaru Brat?

I think they have to overlap each other slightly at the panel lines, I use warm water with one drop of washing up liquid then float them into position and remove excess water with a tissue then a hairdryer to help shape and stick them down.

I would be inclined to dry brush the fine details with a very good brush myself, or alternatively use a fine tip paint pen. I have never built or applied decals to a Subaru Brat though, so that is just an armchair observation.

I think they have to overlap each other slightly at the panel lines, I use warm water with one drop of washing up liquid then float them into position and remove excess water with a tissue then a hairdryer to help shape and stick them down.
The problem is the fact that the hard plastic Subaru Brat body has doorhandles and logos, and such. The decals provided with the re-re have clear spaces where stuff like the doorhandles *should* fit. Now it was not that nice when I cut off the clear space of one of them just to find it doesn't fit the body itself! It's almost as if these decals were made to fit some other Brat body, not the one provided with the kit. Now, since I have seen many correctly finished re-re Brats in here I thought somebody in TC would now of a way to make these fit. That's it.

maybe try and find some original 1983 decals or repros of the originals...

maybe try and find some original 1983 decals or repros of the originals...
Well, you hit the nail in the head, man. But for my money, that's impossible. Thing is, why on earth does Tamiya sell a kit like this one? Last year I had lots of problems with a useless set of decals for a Bronco. Whatever happened to the "first in quality around the world" motto? Can't believe how low Tamiya's quality has fallen over the last decade.

The problem is the fact that the hard plastic Subaru Brat body has doorhandles and logos, and such. The decals provided with the re-re have clear spaces where stuff like the doorhandles *should* fit. Now it was not that nice when I cut off the clear space of one of them just to find it doesn't fit the body itself! It's almost as if these decals were made to fit some other Brat body, not the one provided with the kit. Now, since I have seen many correctly finished re-re Brats in here I thought somebody in TC would now of a way to make these fit. That's it.

Just wondering if anyone knows if the decals fit the Lexan body that came with the re-release.

I just picked up a used re-release where the original owner painted and used the styrene body as a runner. My plans are to paint the Lexan one and use it for running and use the styrene one for display.

Due to reading this thread,i had a look at my Brat hard shell.im waiting for good weather?! so i can paint it.

as pointed ,out the decals dont match up good.i got the body and decals seperate from the kit,so i think that the decals are supplied with the lexan kit shell in mind?

i dont have the lexan one to check..but if thats the case....what are you supposed to use for the hard shell if you bought the whole kit?

the details are obviously meant to be painted on...but the stripe up the side?? i will be lucky if i dont mess up doing a single colour scheme...what chance have i got of getting the side stripe and BRAT bit right!!! :lol::blink:

Hey everyone.

I have been trying to finish a re-re Subaru Brat body but found a problem to do so and I'm here to ask you if there is anything I can do to make the black/gold decals provided in the kit fit the hard body. None of the door handles fit the clear spaces in the stripe decals and I'm giving up finding a way to finally get the decals on the body. I have seen people making this without any problems. Could you be so kind to let me know how y'all did it? Any tips will be welcome.

You all have a good Monday.

Bump! Someone that have done this with one of the rere kits must know of a good way to go through with this.

Well, I now have all the parts I was missing to complete my red Subaru Brat truck. But still can't solve the problem of the decals. Some of the decals are already placed. I noticed the problem while I was applying them, so I have no way to go back now. I have seen some re-re Subaru Brats here in TC with the hard bodies with the decals all installed. So far nobody have been able to share a tip on how did they fit these re-re decals to the hard body. Anybody out there? Anybody?

I see no real reason for Tamiya to make changes that only hurt their enthusiasts. At least there should be some warning about it somewhere. And since I can not finish my body the dang thing have been sitting unfinished here since last January! :lol:

the re-re kit only comes with stripes of 1 colour, doesn't it?

T re-issued the Brat hardbodyset as a show special about 12 yrs ago,

i think that came with stripes in several different colours

as did the original

multiple stripe sets = some builders might have leftovers :lol:

I didn't have any problem getting the black/gold stripes on my re-re brat - I just cut out the door handle / fender logo spaces before I cut the stripes off the sheet & they went on no problem ... TBH I can't see how that could go wrong?

the re-re kit only comes with stripes of 1 colour, doesn't it?

T re-issued the Brat hardbodyset as a show special about 12 yrs ago,

i think that came with stripes in several different colours

as did the original

multiple stripe sets = some builders might have leftovers :P

I didn't have any problem getting the black/gold stripes on my re-re brat - I just cut out the door handle / fender logo spaces before I cut the stripes off the sheet & they went on no problem ... TBH I can't see how that could go wrong?

Hi WillyChang and Johnny Retro.

Well, I thought some pictures will help you see what the problems are with the re-re decals when placed on the Subaru Brat hard-body. I found 2 mm differences in all of the Subaru logos, but the "blank space" of the decal sheet for the door-handles is about 3 mms wrong. Wonder what is the best way to precut that specific part of the decal sheet and then how to cover the part that will show up (if not showcase) the red color that's in the back. I have seen many nice looking re-re Brats here, but nobody has said a thing about how they got such nice results. ;)

Oh, and Willy, I'm sure thousands of people might have decal leftovers, but I already paid for these. Why should I spent more on something that should work. Also, there is no chance that I can get the stickers off the truck without ruining the paint.

Is this what Tamiya used to claim as "first in quality around the world"? Gimme a break, whatever happened to Tamiya's quality? ;)

Please have a look at the pictures.

(Oh, and by the way, you all have a great Monday!)

jul1011004.jpg

jul1011012.jpg

jul1011010.jpg

jul1011009.jpg

I can see why you are miffed that they dont fit straight out of the box but to solve the "gap" problem with the decals you've already fitted I'd just fill them in with a matching acrylic paint. Problem solved yes?

I've found the Brat stripes/decals were some of the best fitting of re-re cars around that point , for instance I found the Grasshopper stripes overlapped at some points & didn't meet up at others, and don't get me started on the stripes on the Hornet - i found those an absolute pig :P

Looking at your photos, compared to my Brat, the gaps on your front fenders are very bad, and your tailgate handle gap is a little worse ... so I'm not sure what's going on there - maybe a duff sheet?

Is the rear one supposed to be like that on the tailgate, kinda looks like a recess where one would put the hand into to click open the subaru logo'd handle? Maybe have a look at a real Brat? I would recommend Tamiya paint markers to fill in your black holes...

James

Brat decals are not the easiest to fit, I've done loads over the years (including the reissue)

I always have a bowl of water and rag and dab the side of the panel with water first.

I always start with the rear wing and line it up with the line round the taillamp and then with the swage of the door and over arch. Yes it will overlap with the door - you can either trim it to the edge of the door or overlap it. I then do the other side 1/4. Then I add the rear pillar ones making sure that they line up at the roof top either side, make sure no screws in for glass then add the roof one matching left to right.

Then do doors, I always cut out the transparent section and use that as my method to line up - line it up with the rear wing at the rear and swage at the front. Trim edges as required.

Then front wings using the transparent section of the badge (the hole they ask you to cut is too small) but I still use it to line up. Then trim the edges with a sharp knife.

I do the tailgate off the body and trim the transparent section as suggested. The pain is the centre because the decal is very weak with the centre cut out. But after practice i've found it ok.

I do have lots of spare decals however I'm sure i've sent you stuff before and it got lost in post so not sure you'd want me to send stuff to you again..

Thanks Johnny, James (How have you been?) & Zakspeed (yeah I do remember that body post. It's been years since it was sent :P ).

As I see things now, I will have to use matching black paint to cover the borders, but that will never look as good as the original 1983 Subaru Brats. I am still wondering what to do with the door decals, but I never liked overlapping so I keep the decal borders up to the ends of the doors. Not sure. I don't want to ruin the decals or get the truck even worse than it already is.

Oh, and by the way, I will have to say HI to this guy who sent this nice & "constructive" personal e-mail to me. Yeah you're probably right, mate. Maybe it is because this is my first Tamiya build? Anyway, I'm sure if you compare the original decals side-by-side with the re-re ones you'll get to see for yourself what I am ranting about. Tell me I'm responsible for that, too!

CHEERS ;)

mike.jpg

Wow, on all the other sites I frequent, people usually just post their jerkery in the thread rather than sending e-mails.

NOW THAT , IS FROM A DEDICATED TROLL OR WHAT ! :D even after he gives you a blast for being a total useless numpty , he finishes with '' best regards '' .. he has to work covertly for tamiya ! :)

I have just got my brat today & it say,s

( Sticker can be applied to plastic body through it is DESIGNED for use with transparent body . ) <<<<<<<<<Page 17 ( 58384 Brat )

The transparent body is slightly bigger , As i can put my body over the ABS one . So maybe this is why it don't fit well .

Gee i'm not looking forward too doing mine now . :D .

"TROLL ALERT " "TROLL ALERT " "TROLL ALERT " "TROLL ALERT " :) I would say your right commiedoor

hey mongoose , heres a advertizing broucher pic from '84 showing you the real brat decals ..

1982-brat-d.jpg

and heres my lexan body with the decals fitted , a real mongrel to cut out the stripes close to the colour so i didnt get a heap of clear on the body !

bratandhunter007.jpg

I have just got my brat today & it say,s

( Sticker can be applied to plastic body through it is DESIGNED for use with transparent body . ) <<<<<<<<<Page 17 ( 58384 Brat )

The transparent body is slightly bigger , As i can put my body over the ABS one . So maybe this is why it don't fit well .

Gee i'm not looking forward too doing mine now . :) .

Oh, well. THAT explains why the decals won't fit. I was using the first gen. manual...

Will have to try and put them anyway, cause I can't get the others off of the body.

It sure's been a hard way to learn about this!

You all have a great weekend! :)

Is this the very same Mike that sent another pleasant and informative email to another member recently? I think it could very well be!

Erich just stop whinging okay, clearly despite your amazing skills altering the re issue Scorcher body into something that looks incredible you clearly lack the relevant skills to line up and apply decals correctly, mate sort it out for Pete's sake! :):unsure::lol:

Mate not sure what to suggest, haven't a Brat but it seems the decals are made to fit the ever so slightly larger lexan shell as mentioned. I think i'd just bite the bullet and remove them. Get another sheet and have another go with soap and water.

Good luck with it :lol:

Hey Rosey,

Well I finished my three 2010-2011 Tamiya projects last weekend (the others are the Sand Scorcher and the Fast Attack Vehicle. See HERE). The Subaru Brat was a b***h to finish because of the decals that are meant for the lexan shell not the hard one.

Anyway here's one picture. Not too bad :)

003-3.jpg