Sign in to follow this  
jasonnewyork

Easy way to remove double-stick tape residue

Does anyone have an easy method to remove the tape residue that's safe on black Tamiya plastic, reciever/ESC plastics, and graphite?

i use shellite . soak a piece of cotton rag with shellite and let it sit on the tape for about 3 minutes or till the shellite evaporates then rub the tape , it usually is softened and comes off taking the glue with it . might take a couple of goes but it dosent mark any thing

I often use "Motor spray cleaner" sprayed onto a soft cloth or paper towel, and then lightly rub to remove the residue.. For extra sticky residue, I spray the motor spray directly onto the goo, and rub it with a fingernail to remove the bulk of the sticky and then clean with the cloth or towel method.. (Remember some electronic cleaners (motor spray) will eat plastic, so test it first..)

Methylated Spirits also works, but is not as good as motor spray..

I have also used WD40, but not sure how it will go on some plastics..

Cheers

lighter fluid on a cotton ball. really. it works.

its real name is shellite , avalible in most supermarkets and hardware stores .. :D

I use isopropynol. Or just my finger - rubbing with a finger works surprisingly well - especially on smooth surfaces. Don't do it for too long though, it starts to hurt underneath your fingernail...

i used white spirit on saturday to remove the sticky tape from my TL01 chassis (the black plastic part)

WD 40 works like a charm and won't ham the plastics

Thanks for all the responses. I have a few of these solvents in my house so I will give them a try. I did use rubbing alchol in past, but never worked well. I usually ended up putting new tape on top of old tape residue. I'm hoping some of your recommendations work better.

white spirit got really hard to shift stuff for me in less than one minute on saturday