Sign in to follow this  
unrise_lyrical

Brushless setup advice for (gasp) a drift TA03F

Hey guys,

I am modifying an old TA03F I built with my dad about a decade ago (took me a while to get around to it!). I have no grasp on how Brushless motors & ESCs work together...Petrol motors I can deal with but I am lost on electric. Can anyone recommend a good place to look for matched motors & esc combos? The only thing I have really grasped so far (which may be wrong anyway) is the less turns means the more top speed...but I would assume with less torque than a motor rated at more turns? What is a good figure to aim at for a drift car...around 8.5t from what I have seen so far? It also seems sensored brushless motors are the best for smooth throttle control....does all this sound correct so far? I can probably spend around $200 - $250 on the motor and esc combined...

Thanks guys :)

I would suggest a hobbywing ezrun, these aren't sensored but are a good reliable brushless system, for you application i would say a 9t/35amp esc combo would be more than enough, they can be had for peanuts too, hobbywing also do sensored systems called xerun.

another thing is what batteries your using, would they be upto the job if your going brushless.

I would suggest a hobbywing ezrun, these aren't sensored but are a good reliable brushless system, for you application i would say a 9t/35amp esc combo would be more than enough, they can be had for peanuts too, hobbywing also do sensored systems called xerun.

another thing is what batteries your using, would they be upto the job if your going brushless.

Thanks for your reply mate....what about the following setup:

HOBBYWING XERUN Blue V2 Brushless Motor 60A ESC

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOBBYWING-XERUN-Blu...6#ht_1977wt_907

Hobbywing Xerun 10.5T 3300kv Sensored motor RC 1/10 car

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hobbywing-Xerun-10-...#ht_3636wt_1033

ends up at around $150...

I will second the 9t/35A EZRun.

I have a TA03F drifter with one of these & it works a treat. Just over half throttle will keep it sliding all day & should you find it starting to grip a bit too much, just punch the throttle again & off you go.

If you prefer a sensored system, then go for the XERun, but as you're not using it with slow motors / crawlers then the potential cogging shouldn't be any issue with the cheaper unsensored ones.