Sign in to follow this  
rudeboy

Another Clod Project

hey guys after seeing some of the clod's on here i ended up putting a random bid on one on ebay and won, ooopsss, its totally standard at the moment and seems to be in quite good condition, i'll put some pics up later,, but this will definately not be staying as standard thats for sure, i'll have to get my f350 highlift finished first though so watch this space..

Rudi..

Clod projects are not cheap ! Neither is a highlift lol!!

Custom chassis come up on ebay reasonably frequently, and its not too difficult to build your own with bits from a DIY store.

Loads of options, to go racer or crawler !!

Clod projects are not cheap ! Neither is a highlift lol!!

Custom chassis come up on ebay reasonably frequently, and its not too difficult to build your own with bits from a DIY store.

Loads of options, to go racer or crawler !!

tell me about it mate,, been pricing everything for the clod and its gonna be pricey,, looking at either the gmade dragoon or spider chassis depending on which way i go, probably go more for racer than crawler but havent made up my mind yet,, got plenty time to decide though!!! although i'm blaming you for the random bid i put on as i was reading your project thread then decided to have a nosey on ebay and what do ye know i now own a clod.... i hope your happy with your self... hahahahaha

Rudi...

I went Spider, but thankfully bought a used but NIB chassis on here.

Not sure the Spider conversion is still available either - migth only be the full 1/8th Spioder that uses Gmade axles nowadays.

Also look at CPE - their Terminator is a good race type chassis. Importing from Far East / US is prertty much only option for aftermarket stuff. Crawler Store in Italy do some crawler chassis, but nothing 'sporty'

yeah mate looks like the only spider/dragoon ones available are the full kits,, been having a look at the cpe stuff and there carbon chassis quite takes my fancy so might go for that,, like i said i'm in no hurry with this one so i'll keep an eye on the bay and the forums and see what turns up..

cheers

Rudi..

Anyone any experience with ESP chassis, been having a look and they seem okay and there doing a deal on one of there race chassis just now,, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them

Rudi..

Anyone any experience with ESP chassis, been having a look and they seem okay and there doing a deal on one of there race chassis just now,, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them

Rudi..

There are quite a few ESP owners over on www.clodtalk.com

Twinset on here has had a fair few different Clod chassis too. Kaiser has the CPE Terminator chassis with twin brushless motors

I have two of ESP's chassis. The Clodzilla IV is mediocre at best. A bit flimsy and feels "cheap". The Rokzilla is a MUCH nicer kit but there are MUCH nicer chassis out there.

CPE makes quality stuff. You really can't go wrong with any of Crawford Performance's chassis kits.

Another option is Thundertech Racing. I have both the Rage and the Ripper Pro and LOVE them both. I owned a Centurion LTD in the past which I sold (it was too beautiful to run). Quality stuff and Darren, the owner is a great guy and VERY accessible. Most of the time he is the one who answers the phone. http://www.thundertechracing.com

If you're into crawling, MICO Engineering / RCguy makes a fantastic chassis called the Gecko Pro. I owned the 60/40 version and it was a great truck. http://www.rcguy.com

If you want BLING there always JPS products: http://www.jpspro.com

But - perhaps the BEST chassis EVER - in my humble opinion - is the Berzerker by Team PRP - although he no longer makes them: http://www.teamprpracing.com/clodbuster.html. If you can find one on Ebay it's a FANTASTIC kit.

These are what I own / have owned. Whatever you choose, have fun.

Cheers for all the info guys,, looks like its going to be between the thundertech ripper pro and the CPE carbon terminator chassis,, decisions decisions.....

Okay guys so far project is looking like this

CPE carbon terminator chassis

2 x titan 550 motors with CVX2 ESC (won on eBay tonight, possibly going brushless at a later date so these will do for now)

amoeba adjustable rims or RC4WD beadlock rims still to decide on that one????

Align 610 steering servo (basically a re-branded ace DS1015, a spare that i have left over from one of my helicopter builds)

original clod body (for now anyway)

shocks??? not sure yet but i do have a set of brand new shocks lying in my spares box that are made by a company called innovative RC in the UK that have fully cnc'd bodies that were for a project i had a while back that i ended up selling on to a mate, so hopefully they'll do the trick as there fairly substantial looking numbers..... but failing that i'll pick something up

Planning to run it on 2 x 7.4 2S Lipo's as i have plenty of these for my helicopters so already have all the necessary chargers, balance boards etc..

think thats it for now i'm sure there will be more to add as the build progresses, for radio gear i'll use my existing handset which is a futaba 4PK 2.4ghz FASST system

really looking forward to this build as its been a while since i've messed around with electric RC's most of my other cars have been either nitro or large scale 2 stroke, just need to get home from this job first,

feel free to shout up if anyone see's anything wrong with this set up..

i'll be posting pics as the build progresses so watch this space..

cheers

Rudi..

That's a nice shopping list and will end up with a pretty quick and tidy handling truck.

Your steering servo needs to be 12kg or higher and the shocks around 100mm length. I have traxxas xxl ones with red springs, may need to find some hardersprings for mine, the chassis drops almost 2inches on the suspension when I hit the throttle and that's with a single nimh pack hooked up; yet to try my twin lipos!

Oh well thats the CPE carbon terminator chassis and amoeba adjustable alloy rims purchased,, now the long wait on the parts arriving and me getting home to start the build,,, looks like this build has taken priority over the f350 highlift...

Rudi..

mate , you will love the rims .. only thing i find wrong is you have to glue the tyres on , no biggy , i used a few dobs of contact , and the weigth of them , but it gives the clod a solid feel on the rough stuff.. ..

And so it begins at long last so here 's a few pics for now

the donor chassis, its in really good condition almost seems a shame to strip it but needs must

S1010002.jpg

the cpe carbon termiator chassis, really well made looking bit of kit this

S1010004.jpg

the amoebe alloy rims

S1010003.jpg

and last but not least the titan motors and esc,, these will do for now until i decide whether to go brushless or not..

S1010005.jpg

I'll update with more of pics of the build as it progresses but at the moment all i'm waiting on is a set of ballraces...

Rudi..

are you going to run 2 batteries with the esc ? i bought a set up like that and then found that you can run up to 16v through it ! no wonder the traxxas picks up it skirts and bolts ! .

i have two 550 titan motors running of an a-max esc in my zilla now but i need to get the gearing righ as its slow with one battery . what pinon size are you going to use ?

you will love the amoebe rims . bit tiring putting them together but ..they have the WOW factor !

Yep planning on running 2x 2s 7.4 lipos as for pinion gonna see what the stock 13 tooth is like then take it from there, yes the amoeba's are nice bits of kit only thing I've noticed with mine though is that fitting the centres on the back of the rim covers the small hole that allows air in and out of the tyres so not sure yet whether to change the wheel set up or drill another small hole in the rim to allow the air flow in and out....