Sign in to follow this  
SteelRat

Heng Long 1/16th Tanks

Very much an impulse buy this, but I've bought a Heng Long Tiger mk 1 tank to use as the basis for an RC camera bot project. Bought as "not working" for about £30 and it has its tracks missing.

Looking around replacement metal tracks would cost me somewhere in the region of £70 new, and the existing ones don't appear to be offered as a spare part.

My question is therefore this: How interchangeable are tracks between Tamiya, Heng Long and Mattoro and does anyone know of a good source of HL tank spares (the only one Ive found is tankzone.co.uk)

Of course, if anyone has a spare set of tracks that they want to sell, that would be ideal! ^_^

Tamiya tracks will fit straight onto the HL Tiger 1.

I run a set on mine as "indoor" tracks and the original HL tracks for outdoor use.

If you put it on metal tracks you need to start looking at uprating most of the drive components,

(3:1 ratio gearboxes,fitting cooling to the mainboard FETS,drive sprockets and idlers)more than

likely fitting a track tensioning system and eventually metal suspension arms and strengthening the

hull internally.

Thanks guys, I managed to find a set of plastic ones on Ebay for about £12, so I'm sorted.

@Miggers.. I've ripped out all the original HL electrics anyway as most of it wasn't needed for the purpose this particular tank is being used for. I've just got a couple of old Mtroniks RV20s in there linked together that drive each motor, and they work just fine.

I have thought about putting a couple of 540 motors in there for a bit more oomph, but given the space in the standard hull, it would mean a complete custom chassis, so at this stage I'm adopting an "if it aint broke, dont fix it" approach!

Thanks guys, I managed to find a set of plastic ones on Ebay for about £12, so I'm sorted.

@Miggers.. I've ripped out all the original HL electrics anyway as most of it wasn't needed for the purpose this particular tank is being used for. I've just got a couple of old Mtroniks RV20s in there linked together that drive each motor, and they work just fine.

I have thought about putting a couple of 540 motors in there for a bit more oomph, but given the space in the standard hull, it would mean a complete custom chassis, so at this stage I'm adopting an "if it aint broke, dont fix it" approach!

I'd still see if you can gear it down a bit.

The bog stock HL tracks aren't too strong,they're good at breaking where the pins go through the outer

and inner full holes if you strain'em too much.

The Tamiya tracks are a much better bet(much more expensive too)being a lot stronger on the pin holes

with bigger and stronger steel pins in them.

Mark