Sign in to follow this  
Mykel320

Battery help

Dear all

I have just read Robs thread about batterys and understand alot more then i did.

Im sort of in the same situation,

I have just purchased a Wild Dagger which has been modified and am trying to find out more about it all before i run it properlly. Ive gone from a Vintage Clod buster QD to a fully modded "Propper" model, And I think I might have bought something out of my league.

I have understood alot from what ive read

(I have some learning & mental health probs, but im no madder than most LOL)

but still dont know what charger to buy.

I have a limited budget but will intend to eventually build up to a better charger but for the moment If an over night charger (as they used to be called) will charge my battery then so be it.

I just want to be able to run my new obsession,,,,,lol.

Please find below all the info i have so far

a tamiya wild dagger 1/10 scale twin motor 4wd racing truck with a rare hummer body. it has many upgrades,

ripmax quake speed controller, uprated shocks a futaba crystal radio and receiver a nicad battery pack.

the instruction manual is included along with many spare parts as shown in the picture, it is ready to run.

post-35998-1298736980_thumb.jpg

this is what ive bought

post-35998-1298737027_thumb.jpg

and the battery i need to charge

post-35998-1298737077_thumb.jpg

post-35998-1298737125_thumb.jpg

can any one suggest a budget charger just to get me going

Many thanks

Mykel

In sunny Cornwall :rolleyes:

hey buddy most of the chargers on this page will work,, depends how budget you want

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=tamiya+...6.c0.m270.l1313

if you can afford it it definately worth buying a decent peak charger as these will keep your batteries in better health so to speak which mean they will last longer before you start to see considerable drops in run times power etc...

hope this helps,, feel free to fire anymore questions and i'll do what i can to answer them..

here's a budget type peak charger that would be worth keeping your eye on

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ripmax-pro-peak-batt...=item1e61dfadd1

Thanks Rudeboy

I have a better Idea on what to look for.

The Ripmax pro-peak looks like its what i need but the others are more like the budget allways the way.

I might have to Sell my Clod QD to fund a charger,,,,lol.

Im gonna have a look around e bay.

Many thanks

:rolleyes:

You have a 4300mAh NiMH battery, so you really need a charger that will do at least 2A output, preferably one with 4 or 5A

At 2A charge your battery will take 2.15 hours to charge from dead flat to full charge (4.15/2 = 2.15). A charger with variable output set to 4.3A charge rate will charge in 1 hour dead. Slower chargers will work, but if you eventually get bigger capacity or extra batteries a slow charger can be a real pain, especially as you should check your batteries frequently during the charge process.

Will you be charging from the mains, or from car battery in the field ? - some chargers will work from both, lots are 12V input only so you have to use a car battery or an external power supply (typically £12 on ebay).

I bought an Ansmann xbase before Xmas - it'll charge up to 5A, is mains only and is easy to use. It won't balance charge LiPo batteries though. Ansmann also sell a xmove version which operates from 12v supply.

I just bought a Turnigy Accucel 6 from ebay because it will balance charge LiPo batteries and just about anything else - cost me, £27 plus £7 for a power supply plus a mains lead. Great little charger (Imax B6 is the same essentially) but be careful if you buy one as it came with a few charging leads but nothing of any use to me (no Tamiya plug, no deans plug, no Traxxas plug) so i ended up having to make up my own leads.

Thanks Percymon

I think I get it now, so the ripmax Rude boy has sugested would charge my baterry in ? as an example.

I will be charging mainly from a wall socket .

Wont be getting into Lipo yet as i want to run what ive got, But will soon be able to get some more NiMh batterys (which will be good)

Ive got a tamiya plug with lead which i can use (new) so just need to be able to charge it up in a reasonable time and cost as im out of budget now (ish)

I need to learn about my speed controller yet!

thats the next thing. LOL

Many thanks Mykel

post-35998-1298824115_thumb.jpg

Mykel, you'll find a great upgrade is to bin the Tamiya battery plugs on your battery, speed controller and charger for something a bit more substantial, Deans for example.

It's the first thing I do with any car or battery I have.

Just chop the old ones off and solder on some new ones, if you're not confident enough to do it yourself, I am sure someone close by will help, most model shops will do it for a few quid.

Standard tamiya plugs tend to melt if you thrash your car too much, especially with a hot motor, or two in this case.

Thanks Tony

I know nothing about Deans but will look into it, A tougher connector?

Many thanks LupoGtiboy for putting me onto a bargain Ripmax Propeak charger from "Twinset" I can now get on with my new car! :unsure: !

and thanks all for all the great advice

I know nothing about Deans but will look into it, A tougher connector?

A Tamiya plug is rated at 7.5 Amps. A Deans plug is rated at 100 Amps. Just a small difference in current carrying capacity.

Ahh got it

Just been out and purchased 4 sets off Deans plugs. I see the difference there alot tougher as well.

Thanks for that Ta-Mark

I like this site alot of good people giving great advice!!!!! :(

Ive Bought this charger (below) from Twinset and he has told me it should charge my 4300 Minh battery in about an hour so I think im up and running..

Next purchase 1 more battery Hurrah

post-35998-1299064652_thumb.jpg