Sign in to follow this  
Tom E

Thorp diff should I buy this?

Ok just saw this thorp diff on ebay(I removed the item number because Im not sure its allowed in here..) The add says: "Tamiya blackfoot thorp used/new", and description only says :"Thorp it looks like it was never used.new gearcase and arms. full bearings. you can use stock wheels or after market ". I want to buy it, but is this a a thorp dirtburner balldiff or another type of thorp diff? I asked the seller if it was a dirtburner balldiff and he said it was a balldiff, but said nothing about it being dirtburner..I dont know anything about thorp diffs, other than that dirtburner is good (and rare and expencive) so can anyone tell me what this is and if its a good buy(current bid is 50$ but will likely rise at the end of auction) If its good, dirtburner or not, what is a fair price for this thorp diff? Whats so good about dirtburner balldiffs anyway and where can I learn about the thorp diffs? thanks for any advice

edit..removed the ebay number so this post now probably makes no sence without pictures of the diff, but I want to learn about thorp diffs so if anyone have any advice for me or can tell me about the thorp diffs feel free to educate me

Tom Erik

Ok just saw this thorp diff on ebay(I removed the item number because Im not sure its allowed in here..) The add says: "Tamiya blackfoot thorp used/new", and description only says :"Thorp it looks like it was never used.new gearcase and arms. full bearings. you can use stock wheels or after market ". I want to buy it, but is this a a thorp dirtburner balldiff or another type of thorp diff? I asked the seller if it was a dirtburner balldiff and he said it was a balldiff, but said nothing about it being dirtburner..I dont know anything about thorp diffs, other than that dirtburner is good (and rare and expencive) so can anyone tell me what this is and if its a good buy(current bid is 50$ but will likely rise at the end of auction) If its good, dirtburner or not, what is a fair price for this thorp diff? Whats so good about dirtburner balldiffs anyway and where can I learn about the thorp diffs? thanks for any advice

edit..removed the ebay number so this post now probably makes no sence without pictures of the diff, but I want to learn about thorp diffs so if anyone have any advice for me or can tell me about the thorp diffs feel free to educate me

Tom Erik

Hey,

I am guessing that if it is advertising a Ball Diff for a Blackfoot that mostlikely it is a Thorp Diff. I have one that I have not yet installed into my Frog Project because I have too many other things that are taking priority right now. Do you have a picture of the ball diff? I know that they were high valued at one time and maybe they still are by some but I know for sure that if you decide that you are going to run this diff, and it is infact a Thorp Diff (which it sounds like it is) you will need to also need the Thorp Dogbones and Thorp Drive Cups for it unless it already comes with them.

For what I think it is worth I am not too sure here. I know that when I found mine they were super popular because of the fact that most origianl Frogs, Blackfoots and Brats out there were running the old hex axle set-up which was known for its faults and issues. When I found two new ones 6 years ago for $49 each in a hobby shop that smelled like cat *******. I kept the one and sold the other to someone for $100.00 before the Frog was re-released with the new dogbone set-up that you can see being sold on eBay.

I myself would be interested in what they are worth today due to the fact that the Tamiya got smart and re-released the frog with a dogbones and drive cups set-up instead of the old hex axle set-up.

Hope that helps

OSR