mtbkym01

I have a Dilema

Last time I asked for help, the community here was awesome in convincing me in buying both cars :( (Hotshot or Boomerang)

Funnily enough, the Boomer is again in my dilema, Again, I still want one.

My choice this time is:

Boomerang & Lunchbox OR Superclodbuster metallic edition.

Both the Boomer and Clod have been discontinued, and I'm afraid the Clod may 'disappear' first

At this stage I can only afford one purchase, so do I get 2 kits, or 1

I look forward to comments

Cheers

Last time I asked for help, the community here was awesome in convincing me in buying both cars :) (Hotshot or Boomerang)

Funnily enough, the Boomer is again in my dilema, Again, I still want one.

My choice this time is:

Boomerang & Lunchbox OR Superclodbuster metallic edition.

Both the Boomer and Clod have been discontinued, and I'm afraid the Clod may 'disappear' first

At this stage I can only afford one purchase, so do I get 2 kits, or 1

I look forward to comments

Cheers

Have you thought about this? :(

It's a TLT-1 with a lengthened wheelbase, shortened DB01 driveshafts, Wild Willy 2 tires (on Wild Dagger wheels as I couldn't find WW2 wheels at the time), locked centre diff (with JB-Weld) and a HPI Wheely King body. It's reasonably affordable (I got this TLT-1 for 110 canadian dollars excl. shipping - Seperate axles are available for +/-50USD, and you could fit any chassis in the middle of it to make it a complete truck). The size is 1/12-ish, based on the HPI Wheely King body. However, it's about the same size as a Wild Dagger, just slightly higher, so one could say it's a 1/10th scale monster truck.

I did this project as I wanted a Monster truck with live axles and a 'scale' look (for a Monster truck), bigger than the Mini Monster trucks (for getting the offroad capability of a proper monster truck), yet smaller than a Clod Buster because it's rather big to carry around on a bicycle (or in a backpack when traveling longer distances). They didn't really exist, so I needed a base to start with ;)

Anyway, assuming from the last time you asked advice, you already have a Boomer and a Hotshot? If that's the case, I'd certainly get a Monster Truck - either the Clod Buster, or if you're looking for something smaller, the project I mentioned above is an option :P

You know everyone is going to say 'buy all 3'! :(

I'd go with the Clod if stocks are drying up.

Oh yeah, all 3 are on my list.

I got the Hotshot last time, still to get the Boomer, and now I cant decide again.

As said, I definately plan on all 3, do I get 2 now and risk missing a clod, or do I get the clod now and risk (less risk I think) not getting a boomer NIB?

Decisions, Decisions

I'd say sod the Clod and grab one of these superb TXT-1 bargains out there first!

I've had both the Clod and the TXT-1 within the last 6 months.........the TXT-1 is so much more truck than the Clod, hence why I sold my Clod and now only have my TXT-1.

Yes the Clod has infinitely more customisation things for it seeing as it's been around for Millenia, but straight out of the box the TXT-1 is superb.

Three of my local stores still have Boomerangs (deepest darkest Norfolk) so they're not running out of stock yet.

If you're insistent on buying only what you list on here then I would go with the Boomerang and Lunchbox option.

Straight out of the box without modification they're the more fun........especially the Lunchy.

The Boomerang will be around for a while yet. Even though they've discontinued it you'll be able to pick one up from somewhere even if its through the trades section here. The re-re is never really going to rocket in value, for a while anyway.

As a TXT-1 owner I can only agree that its an amazing kit to build and run, even just to look at. You get an awful lot of kit for your money. I would have to point out though that it can be an expensive truck to run and maintain but the joy it brings is arguably worth every penny.

It looks like the Clod will be re-re-re-released soon and they turn up regularly on the bay so I would think your chances of missing out are almost non-existant. I'm also going to add my vote for the TXT-1, it's an awesome piece of kit and will out-perform the Clod in every way (except pulling wheelies!).

Well, the Boomerang isn't really all that different from the Hot Shot. The build will be a bit more simplied but the drivetrain construction will be the same. With an upgraded suspension, the Hot Shot will drive just like or better than the Boomer (with exception of bumpsteer). However I can never say no to a Lunchie. They're oodles of fun even if the build is simplistic (I've done it blindfolded for giggles before). I really wouldn't fret about the Super Clod as it will be re-re-released :( as previously stated. The new version will likely be more expensive though as its slated to include an ESC which will no doubt drive the price up.

Forgive my ignorance with Tamiya trucks and I hope I don't side-rail this thread but how does the High Lift chassis fit into all of this? I don't see it mentioned above, what's the principle difference with the "intended use" so to speak? I realise the TXT has two motors and the HL has 3 speeds but in a practical sense, what are the chassis' meant to do differently?

Forgive my ignorance with Tamiya trucks and I hope I don't side-rail this thread but how does the High Lift chassis fit into all of this? I don't see it mentioned above, what's the principle difference with the "intended use" so to speak? I realise the TXT has two motors and the HL has 3 speeds but in a practical sense, what are the chassis' meant to do differently?

They're completely different fishes. Their size is completely different for starters, obvious really. The TXT-1 has a brilliantly designed and relatively complicated 4 link cantilever suspension system that gives it tons of articulation. The F-350's suspension is almost non existent in comparison. Having owned both trucks the TXT is much more fun to drive but does need hopping up, at considerable cost I might add, from the stock set up. Either with a brushless motor or two higher turn standard motors. Big beefy ESC (it eats ESC for breakfast if you're not careful) and needs two decent batteries to power it. Costly stuff - but worth it. And aluminium servo axle guards are a must too.

The TXT is a sight to behold when built it just towers over any other RC car or truck. Its a fantastic RC model.

Here's mine

post-15879-1299441049_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply's so far, I guess I'm talking Clod over TXT due to it's significance in Tamiya's model line. And yes I know it's not an Original Clod (as are not my other Re-Re's) but to me, it's still a Clod (a version anyway) and a required item in my collection.

I guess that's why I'm looking at these 3 at the moment, all pretty significant in Tamiya's history, after these 3 I will be wanting an Avante, followed by a HB 2010.

Thanks for the reply's so far, I guess I'm talking Clod over TXT due to it's significance in Tamiya's model line. And yes I know it's not an Original Clod (as are not my other Re-Re's) but to me, it's still a Clod (a version anyway) and a required item in my collection.

I guess that's why I'm looking at these 3 at the moment, all pretty significant in Tamiya's history, after these 3 I will be wanting an Avante, followed by a HB 2010.

I'd add my vote for the TXT-1. I also had a clod and sold it after having a TXT for a while. If you're going to buy a monster truck I'd definetly disregard anything apart from the TXT. The whole point of a monster truck in my opinion is being able to go anywhere, and nothing beats a txt for grip, ground clearance, and articulation. You can't beat the mechanically driven 4wd, I wouldn't even bother with looking at the VLB as it's only 2wd. The TXT is Tamiyas top electric truck and a work of art, and if you buy anything else you'll only end up wanting one anyway.

Of course, you have your cake and eat it go for a 4x4x4 Lunch Box. Unfortunately I've got the only one ! muhahahaha :(

img33435_16122010204612_4.jpg

img33435_16122010204612_9.jpg

Grab a Clod or TXT-1 as they might be getting thin on the ground.

There a about 10 million VLBs out there in various conditions and while everybody should own at least one before they die, I just don't see them getting that scarce anytime soon.

They're completely different fishes. Their size is completely different for starters, obvious really. The TXT-1 has a brilliantly designed and relatively complicated 4 link cantilever suspension system that gives it tons of articulation. The F-350's suspension is almost non existent in comparison. Having owned both trucks the TXT is much more fun to drive but does need hopping up, at considerable cost I might add, from the stock set up. Either with a brushless motor or two higher turn standard motors. Big beefy ESC (it eats ESC for breakfast if you're not careful) and needs two decent batteries to power it. Costly stuff - but worth it. And aluminium servo axle guards are a must too.

The TXT is a sight to behold when built it just towers over any other RC car or truck. Its a fantastic RC model.

Here's mine

Perhaps it wasn't so obvious to me but thanks for the info.

So it's largest electric 4x4 Tamiya make? Is it 1/10? And it comes with a MSC according to tamiyausa. :(

If the TXT-1 is as good as you guys claim in this thread, and I've no reason to disbelieve, then the High Lift to me seem relatively overpriced.

Ok, let me explain, for me, it's not about how it performs, it's more about having models that are significant. Although these are re-re's, it still represents a significant model to me. I guess I'm dabling in collecting without spending mega-bucks on original NIB's (I do have one NIB Fox :( ). I do build these kits with full bearings, hotter than silver can motors, digital servo's and Spektrum 2.4ghz Radio systems. They all run, but dont get driven very much.

Cheers

At this stage I think I'm leaning towards the clod so I dont miss out

I have similar goals actually. Original is very nice, but I'm generally content with re-res in my "collection" since I fully intend to run them anyway.

I too like specimens of important models [at least to me - I'm sure it's different for everyone after we all agree on maybe the top 10 most "iconic" models or so]. I had to have a Clod. Just had to. Then I wanted the TXT. And then ....

Yeah, I pretty much intend to get one or two of everything that interests me - OOOH SQUIRREL!!! - sorry, I lost my train of thought. :(

Ok, let me explain, for me, it's not about how it performs, it's more about having models that are significant. Although these are re-re's, it still represents a significant model to me. I guess I'm dabling in collecting without spending mega-bucks on original NIB's (I do have one NIB Fox :P ). I do build these kits with full bearings, hotter than silver can motors, digital servo's and Spektrum 2.4ghz Radio systems. They all run, but dont get driven very much.

Cheers

At this stage I think I'm leaning towards the clod so I dont miss out

+1

I hear you mate.

If we wanted outright performance, we wouldn't be playing with cars that are 25-30 years old! ;)

I have my own wishlist, and they are the cars I eyed off as a kid, but never could own at the time.

(I don't want to highjack the thread with any more details ;) )

I'll get there one day. Hopefully that 'one day' isn't too far away! :(

I'm not a big fan of monster trucks myself, but I still reckon you should go the Clod.

Then Boomer, then Lunchy.

(If I were to get a monster truck, it would probably be a VLB)

I'd add my vote for the TXT-1. I also had a clod and sold it after having a TXT for a while. If you're going to buy a monster truck I'd definetly disregard anything apart from the TXT. The whole point of a monster truck in my opinion is being able to go anywhere, and nothing beats a txt for grip, ground clearance, and articulation. You can't beat the mechanically driven 4wd, I wouldn't even bother with looking at the VLB as it's only 2wd. The TXT is Tamiyas top electric truck and a work of art, and if you buy anything else you'll only end up wanting one anyway.

Of course, you have your cake and eat it go for a 4x4x4 Lunch Box. Unfortunately I've got the only one ! muhahahaha ;)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/tc_userimages/33...010204612_4.jpg

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/tc_userimages/33...010204612_9.jpg

You know, this actually inspired me to make a Monster Truck of approximately that size - with 4WD and 4WS :( I absolutely love it, and if it wasn't for I came across a pickup type body, I would definetely be driving it with a Lunchbox body!

It's good to know you're essentially looking for Tamiya icons only ;) The Super Clod may not be an original release, but considering all (or many) of the parts came out of the original mould, it's indeed as much as an original as it can get! :P

Perhaps it wasn't so obvious to me but thanks for the info.

So it's largest electric 4x4 Tamiya make? Is it 1/10? And it comes with a MSC according to tamiyausa. :(

If the TXT-1 is as good as you guys claim in this thread, and I've no reason to disbelieve, then the High Lift to me seem relatively overpriced.

Yup its the largest truck Tamiya make. 1/10th scale. Though I think most people consider it closer to 1/8th. It comes with a MSC, which is one of the more puzzling decisions Tamiya have made taking into consideration that its totally useless for running the truck. I wonder how many beginners bought a TXT and never used it properly simply because they didn't realise the MSC is dreadful, especially for a truck this size. Tamiya shot themselves in the foot there slightly.

The pricing of the TXT-1 these days seems a bit strange when you consider you get more truck for your money than you do with the F-350, or Tundra. However the TXT-1 has been out for a much longer time, its had a really long production run.

Personally I would be falling over myself to get a TXT-1 just now if I didn't already have one, way and above a Clod, Lunchbox or Boomerang. I wouldn't like to stick my neck out too far and predict it'll be as collectable as the Bruiser one day but it will be an increasingly sought after kit I think. The higher engineered kits always tend to be. There also doesn't appear to be any TXT-2 on the horizon, so its a one off chassis truck. Its unique.

Well if it wer me i wouldn't be bothering with a Boomerang - far too similar to the Hotshot (weighty, 4wd, buggy, monoshock front etc etc). If you wanted the hotshot as a shelf queen and the Bommernag as a regular user/basher then maybe, but for irregular use of both i'd look elsewhere.

VLB or Midnight Pumpkin (or Wild Willy) - all 2wd, mini monster truck type cars - they aren't the most stable but their appeal comes from a simple build and ease of use. Easy wheelie action, which appeals to kids and adults. For use in the garden or park they are great fun, but they have their limitations (speed, handling etc).

Clod - i deliberated for some time, missed the last of the SuperClod kits and then ruled out the metallic version as overpriced, especially with outdated control system, and the rumour of a new Clod around the corner. I watched loads of youtube vids of the Clod and was largely unimpressed with its bouncy behaviour and general instability. I stumbled across the mutlitude of aftermarket Clod chassis and components, and finally decided to go that route to get my monster truck, being able to largely spec my truck with what i wanted rather than what Tamiya dictated in a box. I have something that is now far from a Tamiya Clod, but at i do have something that is what i hoped the Clod would be (quick, stable, able to corner at speed, decent suspension etc). Its by no means a historic Tamiya model, its much nearer to a TXT than a Clod in behaviour but i think its the dogs wotsits.

I'm rebuilding a Blitzer Beetle now, to satisfy the 2WD 'buggy' chassis tick box on my list - the fact its a Beetle shell at least makes it look different to my (and my son's) other buggies (Manta Ray, Hotshot, Rising Storm - all 4WD). The rerelease of the Stadium Blitzer (same chassis, but pick up body) means parts supply is guarantted for some time, and i can always change it to a pick up at a later date if i fancied.

There are a multitude of on-road cars to choose from (i'm not tempted at the moment) and there are always the crawler type models (cc-01 chassis is limied but cheaper than the CR-01 chassis).

Honestly, while the Clod Buster is significant, they made billions of them in one incarnation or another. It also makes them less rare so they won't be highly collectable (except the early Chevy-badged versions). If the new Clod IS a re-re of the original truck, I'd get that over the Super Clod. It just looks more "classic". We'll have to wait and see. The TXT-1 may have been out for awhile but no where near as long as the Clod. I don't think, with its higher price and increased competition (the Clod was at the top truck for a long time but the TXT-1 has to battle E-maxxes and the like for consumer attention) the TXT-1 sold in nearly the same numbers even given the same timespan. The TXT-1 will be a future classic in my opinion. It is indeed a work of art.

Unless you want the Clod only to look at or otherwise have alot of money to mod, I would forget it completely.

Stock Clods are rubbish to use. They are somewhat interesting to build (if it's your first twin motor) and to look at, but almost every other truck (2WD included) runs rings around it.

And given that Clod is infact one of the highest numbers produced of ALL Tamiya r/c models up till today, there is no fear of never being able to buy one.

Build and shelf ok, but to enjoy via using: any of the others discussed in the thread are more enjoyable.

Given the pricing, I would certainly take the TXT.

Yeah, I pretty much intend to get one or two of everything that interests me - OOOH SQUIRREL!!! - sorry, I lost my train of thought. B)

PMSL! :P

Also keep in mind to build the collection for your OWN satisfaction. There is much speculation about which Tamiyas will collectable in the future and therefore escalate in value. The fact is we're likely at the peak now. As we collectors or keepers of the Tamiya faith die off, there won't be many replacements. The cars mean something to OUR generation and now we have the money to collect them. In the future its unlikely a 5 year old today will seek out , say, an SRB, 30 years down the road. In other words, if you like it and its place in the Tamiya history books, get it to make yourself happy.

Also keep in mind to build the collection for your OWN satisfaction. There is much speculation about which Tamiyas will collectable in the future and therefore escalate in value. The fact is we're likely at the peak now. As we collectors or keepers of the Tamiya faith die off, there won't be many replacements. The cars mean something to OUR generation and now we have the money to collect them. In the future its unlikely a 5 year old today will seek out , say, an SRB, 30 years down the road. In other words, if you like it and its place in the Tamiya history books, get it to make yourself happy.

I disagree with the peak of the Tamiya buggy value being now. There is a lot of interest at the moment as the re releases by Tamiya bring back memories of 20 to 30 years ago. The age group that Tamiya are targeting is around the late thirties early forties as I suspect many of the members on this forum are, which I call the buggy boomers. This the age group that lived through the original buggy boom in the 1980's. The age group now looks for a distraction from their own children or enjoy buggies with their own children/nieces/nephews and some may be entering the age of the mid life chrisis.

The age group will no doubt be earning their peak earning power as they near retirement in whatever occupation they undertake. This is when the price of vintage Tamiya and the re releases will earn their peak in money value. Some will also be looking for a hobby once they reach retirement. This will be around 20 to 30 years time. There is the chance that Tamiya will also do a 2nd re release of the vintage buggy range around this time, which would be great as it will make spare parts available again but possibly effect values of vintage buggies as is happening now.

Another 10 to 20 years after the peak as the original buggy boomers start to end up in retirement homes and pass away the price of vintage buggies will slowly drop as the generation dissappears. No doubt some of these will end up in the musems, garbage tips and antiques roadshow or equivalent of that time.

Meanwhile collect what you collect, build what you build, run what you run now and enjoy the wonderful hobby of Tamiya as it isn't all about investing for the future.