Sign in to follow this  
MAD RACER

Turbo Optima ( runner)

At long last i finished this long term project for this yr Australian Vintage festival.

Started as a Optima Pro but had a complete rebuild with a belt drive conversion, Hard final pinion, Rear sway bar, Option House Shocks, Motor guard, New shell and decals. 2.2 wheels with race rubber. Quantum speedie with Ready 19t mod motor. Turbo under guard. Alloy front bulk head brace.

The Turbo Optima was my first proper race buggy and thought i should have one in my collection.

BILD0538.jpg

BILD05362.jpg

BILD05382.jpg

Dear Mad Racer,

congratulations for that nice buggy, It's great to know someone involved in racing with classic optimas, here you are using a 19 turns single wind motor, and I always had a doubt, what is the most powerful motor that this belt transmission can cope? and the standard chain ones?

had someone tested the optimas with 11t 10t or 9t motors? double wind? or better quad wind to prevent damages?

thank you

Jose R.

Hi Jose.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I have herd that these old girls can handle motors down to 10t. I think Terry hear has proven that. Last yr i saw a chain drive T/Optima with a 10t with no problems. I don't need anymore than a 15t as they are so quick with a low final drive ratio. The problem is being able to fit the right pinion in. The belt drive is no better just a little quiter and doesn't stretch . If you keep the chain adjusted right it can handle the same power. The front only provides around 30% of the power. Try taking the rear drive shafts and give it a run and you will see what i mean.

Cheers.

Mark

These cars are pretty robust. The gears are strong and the sprockets are thick. I wouldn't try any crazy brushless, but 10 turns sounds about right.

Love your personalised decal on the kick tail, Mad Racer! Nice unit. Should I buy one? I've always liked Kyoshos build quality, but have never owned one.

Very nice indeed.

I have developed a liking for vintage Kyosho of late.

BILD05382.jpg

Is this one a Limited Edition Tron version? :(

I have developed a liking for vintage Kyosho of late.

That's the way mate, As good as the old Tamiya stuff is, Kyosho takes it to another level, as they do in modern racing, (2010 1/8 Nitro Offroad WC ;) )

Might have a second optima once I rebuild one and find out what else I require, who knows, may end up being surplus aswell :(

That's the way mate, As good as the old Tamiya stuff is, Kyosho takes it to another level, as they do in modern racing, (2010 1/8 Nitro Offroad WC ;) )

Might have a second optima once I rebuild one and find out what else I require, who knows, may end up being surplus aswell ;)

How is that build going?

I'll put my hand up for any surplus! :(

*Edit*

Just saw your latest post Kym!

Thanks guys.

The third pic was my partner playing with her new lap top. Thought it looked good.

The Turbo was a awesome buggy being a fully optioned optima. The Le Mans motor was a 19t single mod so was very quick. Unfortunately mine came with Jap instructions so i never thread locked any thing and it kept falling apart. Too add to my frustration i was racing the mighty quick P,B Mini Mustang 2 speed. So i was out paced and didn't make run time. I kept devolping the Optima for that season and smashed the total lap record set by the fastest guy who raced the Optima the previous season but jumped on the P.B ship.

I pre odered the Mid for the next season and had the first one in my state at the end of a bad season with the Optima. My results with the Optima Mid was nothing short of amazing . Still have that mid after 25yrs. Will be running that too. A pic of my Mid in action at a vintage meet 2yrs ago. Oh it has a Orion 10t Double in it. Was amazing how fast it was. Retro R/C and I had some good races with each other that day. He was running a MID too ..

blackoptimamid201.jpg

Hi Mad racer,

thank you for the info about motor limit of this cars, now I can put my 14t double with no worry , my favourite motors when I raced early Lazers were 14t double "trinity bad boy" (48.000rpm or 52.000, I can't remember) and a 13t single . a 9t pinion is reccomendable ,not? and a slipper pinion? I have some lying around.

The 9t pinion is not what i used . This was to slow it down alot when using the eight. four volt battery pack.

Just make sure the chain is set according to the manual . A loose chain will cause problems as well.

Those slipper pininon are garbage from what i was told.