Sign in to follow this  
ryanb741

Mixing radio gear?

Can I mix a Futaba receiver with an acoms transmitter and Sanwa servos (as an example) or do all radio gear components need to be from the same brand?

Helping out a newbie! I feel like Superman! [:)]

Er... anyway....

As long as all the Radio is on the same frequency then that's OK. For example an ACOMS 27mhz Transmitter + Futaba R122JE 27mhz Receiver + HiTec Standard servo - will work as a combo fine.

Main thing to remember is to use the Transmitter Brand of crystals. This isn't an issue with 27mhz (as all 27mhz 'colour' crystals are universal) BUT with 40mhz, make sure the Radio has it's own crystals, irrespective of the reciever used (Example - KO Vantage MUST use KO Crystals / Futaba 3VC MUST use Futaba crystals and so on...)

Hope that explained things. [:D]

Many thanks. I'm kind of a newbie - I was really into R/C (Tamiya) when I lived in Australia but then moved to the UK and forgot about R/C for about 15 years until a fateful trip to the top floor at Hamley's! Now I'm hooked again, and there's just so many to get!

OOOOOOOhhhh! Ryan! Seriously - did Hamley's get you hooked? I've got TONS (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) of experience from them, due to being in a London hospital a lot and walking there eveyday as 'entertainment'.

The Tamiya Bloke there is a real sour-face, but the display is pretty impressive! Maybe you can e-mail me and we'll discuss this further, because I've a few 'tips' regarding purchases from Hamleys....

Well - Hamley's is quite pricey (I paid £150 for a Wild Dagger kit) but one of the guys who works on the Tamiya counter is pretty cool. Annoying thing is, when I bought a Mad Bull there, he removed the box from the back shelf to give to me and what did I see behind - a MAdcap box (now discontinued). Obviously I asked to buy that one instead but he wouldn't sell it to me as it was discontinued and was supposed to have been sent back to their storage depot for disposal. I was offering to pay £100 for it and yet they were just going to throw it away as it was company 'policy'. ******.....

quote:Originally posted by James

...Main thing to remember is to use the Transmitter Brand of crystals. This isn't an issue with 27mhz (as all 27mhz 'colour' crystals are universal) BUT with 40mhz, make sure the Radio has it's own crystals, irrespective of the reciever used (Example - KO Vantage MUST use KO Crystals / Futaba 3VC MUST use Futaba crystals and so on...)

id="quote">id="quote">

Not quite James... [B)]

AM gear is usually no problem to interchange between brands. Your xtals need to be matching freq pairs, of course.

You may have more difficulty swapping around FM & PCM radio gear as the receiver has to match what the transmitter is sending out; some TXes are switchable between modes too. There are also different flavours of FM... which is only where *brands* come into play.

Mixing AM & FM gear plain just won't work.

Putting AM xtals into FM gear usually damages some electronics.

The actual frequency themselves is just a carrier and does not denote AM/FM etc. You can get AM & FM on all freqs if you go looking around the world.

When changing freqs, the radio set is 'tuned' for a certain band, say 27Mhz. Putting a different band (say 29, 40, 72) will severely detune the equipment to the point of uselessness. If you're swapping xtals, swap only within that band, say between 26.995 to 27.255 only.

Oooops!

I remember putting some wrong crystals in my TX once, hope nothing was damaged! Running 40MHz AM, I rarely need an extra set of crystals, as no one else seems to run this freq.[:P]

quote:Originally posted by limas_mtb

...as no one else seems to run this freq.[:P]

id="quote">id="quote">

Haha, you sure its a legal one for ground use where you are?? [:D]

Don't worry, if radio gear is damaged it just plain won't work. If it continues to work then its probably undamaged. If you really want to be sure just do a range check... too lazy to do it on foot I just drive my car as far away as possible with the TX antenna down. (ESC equipped car of course... don't do it with a MSC or nitro car! [:0])

Well, as far as I know, there is no restriction for the band I'm using. I bought my Acoms Hayabusha radio from the Greek Tamiya distributor.

The army & police in Greece use 80-86MHz FM freq as I am told.

Another fact is that I never seem to have any radio-interference, while my mates running 27MHz AM suffer quite a bit[:(]

quote:Originally posted by ryanb741

Well - Hamley's is quite pricey (I paid £150 for a Wild Dagger kit) but one of the guys who works on the Tamiya counter is pretty cool. Annoying thing is, when I bought a Mad Bull there, he removed the box from the back shelf to give to me and what did I see behind - a MAdcap box (now discontinued). Obviously I asked to buy that one instead but he wouldn't sell it to me as it was discontinued and was supposed to have been sent back to their storage depot for disposal. I was offering to pay £100 for it and yet they were just going to throw it away as it was company 'policy'. ******.....

id="quote">id="quote">

If you want a NIB Madcap I know a shop near me ( Belgium ) that has one. Not sure of the price but I could find out if you like.