Sign in to follow this  
dimebag2007

smoked 3 esc today :-(

I received a tl01b chassis from eBay yesterday. It came with a tazer 12t esc and a trinity chameleon 19t motor.

the truck has standard gearing but is fitted with wild dagger wheels. Ballraced throughout.

I plugged in my standard tamiya pinned 25c 3200 lipo. I hadn't even completed the esc setup before it went up in smoke.

The wires to the motor weren't in the best shape so I swapped it out for one of my vega flux 19t motors, installed an Lrp 15t ai fwd/rev.

This esc has 4mm bullet connectors so I used a 3700 lipo with bullets also.

Up the road it went. And back it came. Smoking like a chimney.

I whipped it out quick before it melted anything other than itself.

Uber mardy by now.

Next up is an Mtroniks viper 15t esc back to the tamiya plugged lipo.

I've used this numerous times in my sons midnight pumpkin with a cheap etronix 22t motor.

In the buggy it goes. Up the road it goes. Back it comes. On fire. Again I quickly remove the esc to avoid further damage.

Any advice is welcome.

I'd be inclined to take a walk up the road and check there's nobody playing silly beggars with a flamethrower B)

I was gonna suggest it's either going to be the motor or the wires to the receiver but you've changed the motor.

If it smokes ESCs before moving it's looking like a wiring issue as opposed to load

Lol at Twinset and the flame thrower.

The wild dagger wheels might explain it - gearing is WAAAAY off now perhaps?

The gearbox is not binding?

It's just one of those days... try again tomorrow and cld be fine! B)

No binding on the gearbox. For the few seconds it ran it was smooth as silk.

I installed the radio gear. A 27mhz acoms receiver.

Would that cause the meltdown?

I only have one esc left and that's staying put.

I am waiting on delivery of a losi brushless system but I'm wary of putting it in the buggy in case I kill another esc.

The dagger wheels are WAY too big for the tl01b, and you are putting alot of strain on the ESC's and motor.

You might find switching the wheels to a set of 2.2 buggy wheels sorts this out.

Those tyres would still be too big I think. Have a look at the TL01B's in the showrooms, they will give you an idea of what size wheels and tyres to look for.

I plugged in my standard tamiya pinned 25c 3200 lipo. I hadn't even completed the esc setup before it went up in smoke.

If ESCs are barbecuing themselves before the car's even moving, it's not gearing or tyre choice :P

I received a tl01b chassis from eBay yesterday. It came with a tazer 12t esc and a trinity chameleon 19t motor.

the truck has standard gearing but is fitted with wild dagger wheels. Ballraced throughout.

I'm with Twinset on this one, you either have a polarity problem in the lead / plug that goes from the ESC to the receiver.... OR the ESC was faulty when you got it...

The wires to the motor weren't in the best shape so I swapped it out for one of my vega flux 19t motors, installed an Lrp 15t ai fwd/rev.

This esc has 4mm bullet connectors so I used a 3700 lipo with bullets also.

Up the road it went. And back it came. Smoking like a chimney.

I whipped it out quick before it melted anything other than itself.

Uber mardy by now.

Next up is an Mtroniks viper 15t esc back to the tamiya plugged lipo.

I've used this numerous times in my sons midnight pumpkin with a cheap etronix 22t motor.

In the buggy it goes. Up the road it goes. Back it comes. On fire. Again I quickly remove the esc to avoid further damage.

Any advice is welcome.

I would suggest that in an ideal situation, any ESC with a 15 turn limit would have trouble running a 19 turn 'spec' motor.. These motors are basically performance orientated "race motors" and as such have super strong magnets, and are designed with maximum performance in mind, so would have a current draw similar to a motor with a much lower wind..

Add to the equasion a buggy with limited gearing options (TL01B), and massive stadium truck tyres, your poor old 15 turn ESC's didnt really stand a chance...

Cheers

Looking through the Baja king showroom there are a few trucks with bigger wheels.

What's the secret to it? Or am I looking at a polarity issue on my receiver?

Opinion seems to be be divided between the experts.

Ideally I want to run beetle blitzer wheels. Once I've refurnished my other bubbies with esc's that is.

This was to be a beetle project. Kamtec body is waiting to be painted here.

I received a tl01b chassis from eBay yesterday. ...

you don't mention if you opened up the car to check the insides... i'll assume you didn't?

Is it really totally ballraced? & none have jammed up? -- huge difference when there's 24pcs of 1150 whirring around

these things largely came as kits targetted at noobies; not uncommon

to find a few 'extra' 1150 bushings leftover after build - yet the car somehow still runs

there's also further complications when they either under OR over grease the 2 broze bushings on the spur,

it can either seize to the shaft or bind up - melting out the chassis mounting point & gear mesh goes out the window

also some ppl install the hopup high ratio gearing (NOT suitable for TL01B)

Thanks for that Willy. I admit that I hadn't cracked it open.

I will in time. It's been shelved for a while now while I concentrate on some other projects.

I know whY you mean about noob builders.

I have recently restored a thundershot that was so badly built I almost replaced the lot.

I think they used syrup to grease everything. By the spoon.

A5 part was gone (as per usual).

Wrong screws in the wrong places and a Allan key being used as an arm securing pin.

Chassis is now complete and will be the basis for a beetle buggy.