LamboDave

Japan Earthquake - Near Tamiya Factory ?

Thanks for the supporting comments from some of you guys - It seems I've been taken way out of context.

- When I started this thread, the confirmed death-toll was less than 20 (as reported on the News).

- Being a Tamiya fan, I thought it would be in interest to us all to know if the Tamiya factories had sustained any damaged or not.

- In the coming weeks I am sure our Japanese members will be able to provide us with an update.

- Of-course I feel for the people of Japan (who wouldn't), but I thought this was a Tamiya website, not Facebook ...

"- Of-course I feel for the people of Japan (who wouldn't), but I thought this was a Tamiya website, not Facebook ..." haha nice

When I first read your post I understood what you meant, in all honesty I was curious too and of course everyone feels for the people of Japan what kind of person would you be if you didn't?

Well, the whole thing is a sad unfortunate mess. Like others my thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.

And like others, I also am curious on the fate of any Tamiya factories and the Tamiya Headquarters where they had all the models on display. (This does not make me a jerk)

If I had a vintage to donate to Tamiya for a rebuilt museum, I would and will ! (I've only a few vinatge NIB but they are yours Mr Tamiya if you need 'em).

We have about 70 people here in the Company coming from 27 different nations.

Our feelings are with Japan all the time - especially since 5 Japanese colleagues sit here next door to me.

We all are pretty much personally affected by the tremendous damage and loss of lives which happened.

But having experienced the Japanese perfection and professionalism - I strongly believe if there is a Nation which is capable to quickly recover, then it is Japan.

I think that the tamiya factory in Shizuoka should be ok, since Shizuoka is at south of Tokyo ( more or less 1.30 hour by train Shinkansen) and very far from the places damaged by earthquake and tsunami. Surely there could be problems with the electric forniture.

I only hope and pray now for Japanese, that the nuclear implant in *******ushima could resist. Since earthquake and tsunami alone are terrible, radioactivity contamination, if possible, it's even worse.

I found this from RC Car Action.com

A massive 8.9 magnitude earthquake has hit Japan, the home of many of RC’s most iconic brands. The island country has been struck by resulting tsunamis that, combined with the earthquake, have led to significant loss of life. It has been reported that this has been the most powerful earthquake to hit Japan in over 100 years. The earthquake’s center was reported to be north of Tokyo and off the eastern coast of Japan and the city of Sendai. RC Car Action and Air Age Media wish the best for the RC companies and all of Japan that have been impacted by this tragedy.

The devastation has been severe. Many well-known RC manufacturers call Japan home. We will continue to report on breaking news and will update this page as we learn how our RC industry friends have fared during this terrible event.

Our friend Steve Pond heard from Kuni of the Kyosho Diecast offices after the quake. Steve relates that the office is located in Atsugi, which is southeast from Tokyo about 275 miles from the epicenter. Thankfully everyone from the office is well.

Below are some RC companies located in Japan:

Futaba. Chiba Prefecture.

Tamiya. Shizuoka City.

O.S. Engines. Osaka.

KO Propo. Arakawa-Ku, Tokyo.

Yokomo Ltd. Adachi-Ku, Tokyo.

But nothing on Tamiya itself...

Badboy

The devastation we have witnessed is beyond words. Japan is a great nation, and like previous posters have mentioned....if any country can recover from such a tragedy, it is Japan. We had hoped for zero loss of life, but now we pray for an end to the growing number of casualties. This will bring out the worst in some people, but also the very best in most people. We here in the USA are contacting our government officials to be sure they are doing all they can to aid and assist our brothers in Japan. At a time like this, monetary issues should not be a factor. I could not put a price on helping my neighbor in times of tragedy let alone helping another country that has done so much good for the rest of the world. They are down but not out, and we need to help in what ever way we can....even thoughts and prayers can give people confidence to continue on in the face of hopelessness.

It is perfectly reasonable to inquire about the fate of the Tamiya factory. This is a Tamiya forum after all.

A few of you seem to have misinterpretted what I meant and yes its reasonable to ask about tamiya factory what I meant was that the first post on forum about earthquake was to see if a factory was ok.. whereas my frst thought was to the effect it has had on the human population rather than the plastic population. It may seem trivial point to others just didnt to me,.

Backtomyroots, no comment was made that I, or others, think your a jerk for thinking about the Tamiya Factory not sure where u got that idea from!

I do also believe that everybody here feels for the people in Japan, me too. But since this is a Tamiya Forum it is just normal that we are talking about Tamiya in every daily case, and as there has been this massive earthquake we could talk about the factory and so on.

I personally was wondering if the Japanese government would regulate the amount of electricity sent within the country would this also affect Tamiya even if their factory wasn´t damaged at all ( i don´t kow this just guessing)?

I would belevieve that parts and kits are not shipped from Japan for the next few weeks or even months. What do you guys think? Would this affect the prices in any way?

Well lets put this to rest Tamiya Japan is located around Shizuoka, and the earth quake has effected japan in the north past sendai. thats approx 3-400KM or 200 miles away.

Shizuoka is south and on the ocean but it was protected from the north by the Izu peninsula as far as tsunami damage.

That still doesn't mean there was no damage, although that likely is limited to toppled cupboards and the like (see pics of Kyosho's office linked to earlier).

however i would be more worried with the possible fallout from the 2 nuclear reactors power plants that sustained massive damage and the ensuing explosions that have occurred from hydrogen release.

right now 2 more explosions occurred over night and cores on at least 2 reactors have been exposed again because fuel ran out for the auxiliary pumps trying to cool them with sea water.

Exposed within the containment structure, not to the outer environment! The hydrogen explosions only blew away the outer walls.

Western media seem to be rather exagerating some of the damage - I've compared the actual English language press-releases from Japan with articles published in Western media and there's quite a lot of stuff reported wrongly, which either means English-reading journalists can't actually read or are just making things up on the spot. :D

Wikipedia seems to be one of the better English-language sources right now.

Edit: Shizuoka gets rattled by a 6.0 quake: http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/78319.html

Link to live NHK Japan news channel online in English

Suggest we don't debate/suggest details but simply listen to the JP news and reflect in your own mind about it.

It's horrific, devastating, and a reminder that don't have control over everything that exists.

And there are lots of people in that power plant, and outside supporting them, who are giving up self interest to try and help and minimise the disaster. Hero's one and all.

Looks like all 4 reactors are now in some level of meltdown. The Japanese power company is trying to play down the situation, but given their past history, I would'nt believe a word they are saying. My sympathy goes out to the Japanese people. They did a magnificent job in their construction and building standards, and from all reports, quake damage was low. The tsunami was a different outcome. How can you prepare for that much water along a long low coastal area? Top all that off with the nuclear mess. Aside from what the official word is in Japan right now, there are 4 nuclear reactors out of control, and like pandora's box, you can't get that genie back in the bottle...........

Just find out Shizuoka City is the capital city of Shizuoka Prefecture. :(

Well as of 12 noon my time looks like they lost containment after the latest fire and radiation levels have started to spike and 140,000 people are being evacuated :(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

TOKYO WIND: Radiation From Latest Blast Could Reach Tokyo by Nightfall...

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/internati...ml?cid=29698946

:P horrible.

The 150,000 people are not being evacuated. The Government has told them to "seal themselves indoors". Yeah, I'm staying right next to the microwave oven (not!). I think the more appropriate thing would be to tell them pack up whatever you can and leave. Oh, and by the way, you won't be coming back here for over 1,000 years.

My thoughts and prayers have been with the people from the time I heard. It's almost to big to talk about. I think it was a brave move for Lambo to post as I was in two minds becouse of how people would react. I think a lot of us would have felt the same. I hope that the people on the ground are getting the best possible treatment and being put first above all else for once. If this thread reaches one person and lifts their spirits even for a second even if it's years later, it has been worth while.

A few suspensions here & there and a couple of temporary closures, but it so far seems largely like business as usual at Shizuoka...

http://tamiyablog.com/

2011 March 14th (Monday) the 13:45

Customer Guide

In everyone who suffers by northeast local Pacific Ocean open sea earthquake we visit from heart.

We pray the revival whose also one day is quick.

Below, the [tamiya] sponsorship event (RC and mini- four running, company seeing academic society) we guide opening schedule, [tamiyasakitsuto] and the business schedule etc of [tamiyapuramoderuhuakutori].

* It is information as of March 14th. When it is modified according to circumstance, it is.

* About the opening of this corporation sponsorship event

<RC event>

March 19th (Saturday) 20 days (day) Mini- F-1 champion decisive game [tamiya] Kakegawa circuit -> discontinuance (* The alternative event is held on April 10th)

March 26th (Saturday) RC [pakutamiya] Kakegawa circuit -> execution (* Only crawler MTG modification on April 23rd)

April 2nd (Saturday) 3 days (day) [tamiyaguranpuri] in Tokyo Asakusa ROX3 -> discontinuance

April 16th (Saturday) 17 days (day) [tamiyaguranpuri] in Kansai Kobe fruit flower park -> execution

April 23rd (Saturday) 24 days (day) [tamiya] F-1GP electromotive durable [resutamiyasakitsuto] -> execution

<Mini- four running events>

March 19th (Saturday) 20 days (day) Spring GP/Shizuoka [tsuinmetsuse] Shizuoka -> discontinuance

March 25th (gold) ~27 day (day) Mini- four running fair 2011 [tamiyapuramoderuhuakutori] Shinbashi stores -> execution

March 27th (day) Spring GP/Osaka Kyocera dome Osaka -> execution

April 3rd (day) Spring GP/Okayama toy kingdom -> execution

April 17th (day) Spring GP/Sendai Sendai business support center -> discontinuance

April 30th (Saturday) Junior cup/Yokohama [toretsusa] Yokohama -> undecided

<Company seeing academic society>

March 24th (the wood) ~25 day (the gold) spring day off parent and child seeing academic society -> execution

About the use of the â– RC car circuit

[tamiyasakitsuto] and the [tamiya] Kakegawa circuit open alongside the circuit calendar.

* About the business of [tamiyapuramoderuhuakutori]

<Shinbashi store> March 14th (month) temporary suspension of business, 15 days (the fire) ~18 day (the gold) business hour 12 o’clock is shortened at the time of the ~18.

<Yokohama store> March 14th (month) and 15 days (the fire) temporary suspension of business, 16 days (the water) business hour 10 o’clock is shortened at the time of the ~18.

* Description above is information as of March 14th. When it is modified according to circumstance, it is.

In addition because also the fact that you make illuminating and heating etc inside the store moderate it is please acknowledge.

Above, understanding of the customer that it can receive cooperation, we ask may.

Changing, we pray the restoration revival whose also one day of suffering area is quick.

Tamiya Corporation

Many prayers go out to the victims of the Japanese earthquake disaster.

To those who are thinking about the Tamiya business aspect, I read this from TamiyaUSA

A message from Tamiya America, Inc.

Tamiya America, Inc. would like to extend our deepest sympathy to the people of Japan in regards to your country's recent disasters.

We would like to thank all of our customers, clients and fans for every kind sentiment after the recent disasters that have hit Japan.

We would like to inform everyone Tamiya Inc, which is located in Shizouka City (approximately 100 miles south of Tokyo), had no major problems from the March 11/12th earthquake and Tsunami. Our normal daily communications with Tamiya Inc. have not been severed or have slowed down. We are in daily communication to ensure operations and normal business schedules are on target.

Sad to say, as of today, Americans returning from Japan are setting off radiation detectors at airports in Chicago and Dallas.

My prayers are for Japan and its people. Earthquake, tsunami, radiation and snow. It's heartbreaking. I've donated to Red Cross Japan and Pacific Disaster Appeal.

Has anyone heard from Jason of jr-rc? I know he is based in Saitama, north of Tokyo.