LamboDave

Japan Earthquake - Near Tamiya Factory ?

Shaken but i'm sure Mr Reid is ok, he's only an hr's north of Tokyo not 300km.

He's been listing up new stuff this week so afaik its biz as usual.

I got an email from the ebay shop called Hobby Japan which is loctated in Osaka South of Tokyo. They said they had been asked about the business and if they have suffered from the earthquake or the Tsunami. They are all well and as said in other posts they do business as usual. As the economy will also suffer from this desaster we should just keep on buying stuff from Japan if they do normal business like before the earthquake.

442xcar i think you may have been watching too much fox news?

anyone wanting to know why this nuclear situation isnt as bad as the western media is making out, please read this:

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/...clear-reactors/

My brother lives 2 hours south of tokyo, near the beach, he got out of it with just a broken hand! it could have been much worse as he was planning on going to the beach on friday but he got the flu so stayed in bed!

Firts of all, most of SA is also donating and praying for the devasted Australia, New Zeeland and now the latest, Japan. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Lots of varying reports are recieved here as the many varying views on this topic right here reflects.

According to our importer of Tamiya, there are no known problems at Tamiya. This is as per my supplier who was in contact with Tamiya Japan so I will at present take that as the truth.

442xcar i think you may have been watching too much fox news?

anyone wanting to know why this nuclear situation isnt as bad as the western media is making out, please read this:

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/...clear-reactors/

My brother lives 2 hours south of tokyo, near the beach, he got out of it with just a broken hand! it could have been much worse as he was planning on going to the beach on friday but he got the flu so stayed in bed!

Sorry for the gloomy posts. It's hard not to think of what is happening in Japan right now. In my Military years of service, I worked with nukes and am very aware of what the endgame is with that nasty stuff. On the bright side, many of the Sellers I deal with regularly have emailed that they are mostly south of Tokyo, and are adjusting and keeping their business going. Got to give it to the Japanese people. I think we can all learn something from them in times like these.......

My heart goes out to all the people in Japan.....

I do not know which forum to place this topic in....

I would like to share some info that i had a parcel sent to me from Saitama (Just north of Tokyo) in Japan about 5 days ago for some Tamiya Avante parts, after opening up the medium size box and putting the parts away i noticed i had a strange strong metallic taste for about an hour in my mouth afterwards.

Now i must admit i can be a little paronoid at times.. so i googled slight radiation detections with the human body and one of the few topics that came up was that radiation therapy can cause the the metallic taste or being exposed to a very tiny dose of radiation fumes or particals etc can cause the metallic taste but not harmful enough... I just wanted to let other poeple know about this..

My heart goes out to all the people in Japan.....

I do not know which forum to place this topic in....

I would like to share some info that i had a parcel sent to me from Saitama (Just north of Tokyo) in Japan about 5 days ago for some Tamiya Avante parts, after opening up the medium size box and putting the parts away i noticed i had a strange strong metallic taste for about an hour in my mouth afterwards.

Now i must admit i can be a little paronoid at times.. so i googled slight radiation detections with the human body and one of the few topics that came up was that radiation therapy can cause the the metallic taste or being exposed to a very tiny dose of radiation fumes or particals etc can cause the metallic taste but not harmful enough... I just wanted to let other poeple know about this..

I would like to continue supporting the Japanese economy over these trouble times, but with the ongoing nuclear reactor saga I too am worried about items being contaminated with low levels of radiation. Especially with young children in the house.

I bought a couple of things a week before the earthquake from different Japanese sellers, one arrived, the other so far has not. With everything they have endured over the recent weeks I am happy to accept that I won't receive it. So haven't and won't be contacting the seller for a refund, etc......

Am I just being paranoid, or is there really a risk??

:)

Seeing as they're apparently already identifying traces of Japan's radiation in UK sea water...

Not sure who you'd go to for a definitive answer, the 'experts' in the media offer vastly differing opinions on the matter in general, let alone something as specific as mailed items - unless you knew the region it was shipped from and where it passed thru on the way, any answer would be purely speculative.

http://www.postcom.org/public/2011/05_1%20...%2017032011.doc

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content...mediaId=3800088

Items sent from Japan, are safe to be delivered as normal.

I would guess if there's a danger, then they'd stop postal workers handling Japanese parcels until thorough checks were preformed, especially in the more 'litigious' countries

Been no warnings via Australia Post or media, down under about potentially radiated items through the post. With so many products which come out of Japan, electronic or otherwise I am not panicking.

My prayers are with Japan during this difficult time. They need our support.

personally i have doubt that, short of you receiving a glowing green rod of nuclear fuel (cue Simpsons intro) in your parcel,

it is highly unlikely to receive any harmful material hitchhiking with your parcel of plastic/aluminium/CF/paper/steel.

You really need to be there on site or inhaling the radioactive dust downwind to suffer harmful exposure.

seawater otoh... the huge volumes TEPCO is flushing thru SMURFushima, i'll assume a lot of it is leaking back out to sea

and taking with it various heavy metals & boric acid... those isotopes have varying halflives from 8days to 24,000yrs

these will accumulate in sea life, with the larger older creatures (whales?!) posing the most potential health risks.

Not sure how much Japan exports in seafood, but i don't think i'll be choosing to eat much of that in coming years.

anyhow... anybody got a spare geigercounter to borrow me?

accepted delivery on one of these last week from Shizouka, i swear the bling is positively glowing... :D

b_84188.jpg

well if its Carbon11-fibre... it'll be lighter than normal!

Been no warnings via Australia Post or media, down under about potentially radiated items through the post. With so many products which come out of Japan, electronic or otherwise I am not panicking.

My prayers are with Japan during this difficult time. They need our support.

Im going to ring Australia Post about radiation scans upon delivery etc..also japans end of sending items... Just for reassurance is all.

Hey Sb_Aust.... Dont go using your mint superchamp on that beach ok :o Shelf life only for your Superchamp... :)

I miss my mint Super champ :D

Im going to ring Australia Post about radiation scans upon delivery etc..also japans end of sending items... Just for reassurance is all.

Hey Sb_Aust.... Dont go using your mint superchamp on that beach ok :o Shelf life only for your Superchamp... :o

I miss my mint Super champ :D

Best to check if you are worried. Let us know your findings.....cheers.

The Super Champ has only ever collected dust on the shelf where it belongs, not sand from the beach :)

Here in the UK our "media" seemed to take great relish in stating front page news that radioactive iodine particles from Japan were recorded in Scotland....it then went on to say that the measure was minutely tiny and no threat to health.

I really dislike how it was presented in the default "scare first-facts later" fashion.

I along with all Tamiya fans send the people of Japan our best wishes and feel quite terrible by association when i read such sensational garbage in the press.

Japan needs the worlds help right now.and it certainly does not need the media scaremongers implying that we handle Japan from the "safe" end of a long stick.

or to build a 10m tall new sea wall?

Heard TEPCO was recruiting foreign nuclear technicians past 48 hrs.

i was made Subject Matter Expert on Concrete Pumps in a previous careerpath,

so coincidentally i've learnt more than i've wanted about those beasts B)

the largest Putzmeisters bigger than the truck-demountable giants are fully self-contained behemoths

that can pump anything you feed into its hopper... and the hose is hydraulically positionable remotely

up to like 100yrs away.

They got their own onboard diesel powerplants so they have no need for electricity supply.

Supposedly they are only using it to pump seawater for now, supposedly there's already a few smaller units onsite.