Singleseven

Sand Scorcher Gearbox mk1 vs mk2

Hi Guys,

Are there any differences between a mk1 and mk2 gearbox casing and mechanics, that would prevent me replacing a mk2 with a mk1?

i've had a scan through older posts but cant find any info...

thanks,

Hi Guys,

Are there any differences between a mk1 and mk2 gearbox casing and mechanics, that would prevent me replacing a mk2 with a mk1?

i've had a scan through older posts but cant find any info...

thanks,

The gear covers don't match.

Interesting info. What about the compatibility of these old ones and the Buggy Champ's?

Can I use a Buggy Champ gearcase with old gears and covers?

Interesting info. What about the compatibility of these old ones and the Buggy Champ's?

Can I use a Buggy Champ gearcase with old gears and covers?

Form what I remember the MkII covers don't quite align with the MkI casings.

Depends on what you mean by mk1 and mk2. I know some people refer the old sand scorcher as mk1 and the 2010 SS as mk2. And most of us here refer the mk1 as the early black bumper SS and the later grey bumper SS as mk2.

Depends on what you mean by mk1 and mk2. I know some people refer the old sand scorcher as mk1 and the 2010 SS as mk2. And most of us here refer the mk1 as the early black bumper SS and the later grey bumper SS as mk2.

I consider the black bumper to be a mk1 and the grey mk2, I see the rere as a mk3 because I believe there are differences, not least to the body styling but I am sure there are probably others too, I am sure i have seen a post related to the motor housing on a mk3 being different in size to a mk2 (or mk1).

Thanks for all the feedback guys; great stuff!!!

Indeed there are 4 gear case covers if you include the superchamp version (has a hole centred on the pinion) which was shipped with some of the last scorchers sold and now the 2010 version.

The problem between mk1 and 2 was most prominent in the motor cover not quite lining up with the screws, barely visible but noticeable when you tighten them up.

Hi guys..

So the MK1 versions are from '79.

And the MK2 is the re-release? Or am I wrong?

Thanks

Bram

Hi guys..

So the MK1 versions are from '79.

And the MK2 is the re-release? Or am I wrong?

Thanks

Bram

Hi Bram.

The MK1 version is from 1979, you're correct. The MK2 versions were produced from 1980 to 1985, when they stopped making the sand Scorcher.

The re-release version is been out in the markets since 2010.

Cheers,

;)

Cristal clear mongoose... Are there any difference in gearbox in terms of endurance or durability of this gearbox..besides the fact that the gearbox don't fit on each other..

Greets

• Like 1

Cristal clear mongoose... Are there any difference in gearbox in terms of endurance or durability of this gearbox..besides the fact that the gearbox don't fit on each other..

Greets

Well, I only know the classic ones so I can say much.

I do know, however, that the new front spindles sometimes come out of the main piece, it's something I've heard from members here, and as far as I know I have never seen that problem in old ones (the Frog and Brat used the same ones, never seen anything like that happening to those).

Anybody running a re-re might be able to be more specific on the subject. ;)