Sign in to follow this  
sirandy

Rally Conversion Dilemma

Hey All,

I am looking for a decent rally chassis, and although the DF-03RA stands out as the logical option, I am not convinced is the best one.

I have heard that the DF03 Mainshaft is made from the same butter that Tamiya pinions are made of, and I dont use those EVER. Five Stars makes a steel alternative and I have not seen one on ebay for 3 weeks, neither have I the ability to decipher Japanese, so cannot determine other sources. I am also not super keen on the battery location and hear that it is difficult to get them in and out. I am using either Yeah Racing 3200's or Turnigy 5000Mah packs from Hobby King, I think the 5000 Mah's might be a problem to fit.

Other options I have seen on the net are the venerable TT-01 being chopped to fit, and it seems to be pretty capable with ride height increased (butchering a TT-01 chassis, so what?), the parts are EVERYWHERE and putting decent shocks and making sure the steering is modded to ball joints on turnbuckles, appear to work quite well. There are some conversions on the net when searched.

Another option is th TA-02, there are Hummer, Ford F150 and some other models on this chassis that seem to work ok...but spares seem a bit rare.

I dont like the TL-01's, just personal really, but the parts are becoming harder to find too and it simply doesnt appeal to me... there, I said it :)

TB01 is good, but hard to find now, as are spares.

The one that interests me, and I cannot find any google info on it, is a conversion of the belt-drive buggy platform, I think it is the DB02, the same as the Baldre....it seems to have a ready suppy of parts, the belts are fully enclosed and I believe a slipper clutch is available. I am worried about the diffs but if built ok they should be alright, they seem reliable on the buggy version. The trackwidth would need to be brought down and I need to find out of the short touring arms would fit on it. Turnbuckles and drive shafts should be pretty easy to source from some other car...

Opinons?

You should still be able to find a TB01 kit on ebay. I think there were a few for sale here in the marketplace as well.

Spares are still easy to come by. They are built rally ready, with dust shields, and the drivetrain can handle 9.6v brushless as I can confirm.

Good choice if you can find one, most even come with the interior as well!

Cheers,

Skottoman

I have both the DF-03Ra and the TB-01.

The TB-01 is indeed indestructible (the gearboxes are the same ones from the old Tamiya petrol engined buggy), so they will hold up to whatever you wish to throw in there, but that is the only real drawback with the TB-01.........mine may have the same Super Stock TZ motor that my DF-03Ra has in it, but the DF-03Ra being a lot lighter, and better geared wipes the floor with it. As I'm old school (nothing brushless yet) that is going to mean putting something with a far lower turn in the TB-01.

My DF-03Ra has been planted at speed into very solid objects by my friends son, and so far the only damage is one cracked Lancia Delta lexan shell. How the drive shaft will hold up I'm not sure, but if a possessed kid can slam it from forwards to reverse and back again, for (usually) the duration of 2 5000mah batteries they can't be made completely of butter. And I have no problem at all fitting my 5000mah Intellect 7.2V packs in there, and they're a touch oversized as I found when I tried to fit them in my Avante.......had to make a few adjustments to the battery holder on that beastie.

Only thing with the DF-03Ra........buy yourself a Keen Hawk body to go under the rally shell as they don't half collect dirt and grot in that bathtub chassis without it.

Another option is th TA-02, there are Hummer, Ford F150 and some other models on this chassis that seem to work ok...but spares seem a bit rare.

Tamiya released TA02 rally cars. They work well in the dirt. It's basically a TA02 tourer with the dampers built long and rally block tyres. They also had TA01 rally cars. (same gearboxes).

The DF01 Hummer series is still in current production (same gearboxes again). Parts supply isn't an issue unless you are after some of the original Tamiya TA01/TA02/DF01 hopup parts.

I have TA02 for offroad rally and TA03F for onroad rally.

Thanks all for the opinions, and the link to the other site.

I was not aware that TB01's were still available, the Enzo Ferrari version is available from a few Ebayers, and I would like the body lit to go on one of my other tourers..I have seen some versions for under US$150....

The DF03Ra Mitsu is available from RCmart at US$129, as is the DF-01. Having a look at the spare available from RCmart, the DF-01 seems to lack them, but I assume TA02 parts will fit in many instances.

I am still a little nervous of the DF03RA, despite some instances of them lasting well....I know my luck, I will get a super-duff one.

Still not decided....but learnt a lot......

Thanks

The DF03RA is a fine vehicle. Just keep an eye on that aluminium gear on the mainshaft for wear (lift the gear cover every 10 or so battery runs). If you can get your hands on the Five Stars steel shafts they make the DF03 or DF03RA pretty much trouble free. (FS7038 for standard shaft or FS7039 for the slipper shaft).

Note that the DF01's are wider and longer than a TA01/TA02 so regular 257mm wheelbase rally bodies don't fit straight on.

I dont like the TL-01's, just personal really, but the parts are becoming harder to find too and it simply doesnt appeal to me... there, I said it :P

Shame on you Andy! One of the best and you slander it! ROTFLMAO!!! :lol:

Crazy good basher, bar the stuck battery syndrome, but I take it you want a better dune tool.

Pity about the TB01 not being available anymore. I would have loved one too, especially the Focus.

Henk...

I dunno what it is, but I just dislike it.....compared to other tourer/chassis cars, it is just non-starter....I saw rcmart clearing them out for US$6o a throw, and still could not bring myself to buy one...

TB01 Enzo Ferrari's are available on ebay.....nice model too, just begging to have the body shoved on a shelfer, and the chassis to get blistered on the trail! I am not really looking to 'dune' anything....the slash is the best on the dunes...more looking to hard-surface rally...

@ Mark, thanks for the input, I may just go down the DF-03RA route....what sort of lube is advised to lengthen its life? I expect that Tamiya Antiwear might even wear it more if grit gets in there....maybe some simple silicone spray?

My DF-03Ra is built up using the same top end cycling Ceramic Grease.

I ride and race a full carbon race bike so in the pursuit of seconds on the clock even the grease has to be looked at. However speed is nothing if you're forking out hundreds (even thousands) of pounds on components and they go really fast but wear out in 8 weeks of racing. Ceramic grease is therefore the weapon of choice!

So far it's standing both my DF-03Ra and TXT-1 in good stead, and when I've run more batteries though it I'll tell you how its getting on with my Avante. Considering I run them (when I get the chance) on sand up on the North Norfolk coast I'm pretty sure that'd break them if it wasn't doing its job.

TB01 Enzo Ferrari's are available on ebay.....nice model too, just begging to have the body shoved on a shelfer, and the chassis to get blistered on the trail! I am not really looking to 'dune' anything....the slash is the best on the dunes...more looking to hard-surface rally...

Just so you know, the TB01 Enzo kit comes with the on-road plastic bevel and ring gears + notched driveshaft. They work fine, but if you want to put monster power through them (9.6v brushless), you'll need the metal ring and bevel gear + splined driveshaft from one of the rally kits or a TG10. I shredded 4 sets of plastic bevel gears from my TB01 Enzo kit with the massive brushless power.

Cheers,

Skottoman

I dunno what it is, but I just dislike it.....compared to other tourer/chassis cars, it is just non-starter....I saw rcmart clearing them out for US$6o a throw, and still could not bring myself to buy one...

Eish!!! Waar was ek!!! Sou 'n paar gekoop het teen daai prys. Andy, know what you mean but for what I use them for, nothing better at the price. Was Neo's first proper RC after the slaughtered Pumpkin chassis thingy mabob. Plus that sport tuned Baja King I have makes for the perfect basher. The only car of mine that I don't mind rolling. So in my stable, the best basher out there.

So by the way, hoe gaan dit met Craig?

Regards

Henk B)