Richard001

RC Car questions

Hi

I have already built a Tamiya Scania big rig and trailer, and due to lack of funds cant afford to build another anytime soon, So I was thinking of getting a RC car to build/run. My first question is this: Is the Tamiya TT01 type e chassis alot better than the original TT01? Also will all the bodyshells from the TT01 right thru to the TT01 type e fit? I am thinking of geting the following http://www.fusionhobbies.com/ProductDetail...10&CartID=4 if I get the ballrace bearings is there any other hop ups that would be suggested?

Thanks for any info

Richard

Hi Richard,

There is a long list of bodies that will fit the TT01. Most of Tamiya's touring and rally style bodysets work on the TT chassis. None of them are pre drilled so you get to chose the body mount position. There is a long list of JTCC car bodies also for the TT01.

The Type E has some minor differences like the most obvious one, the upper deck that runs from the front to the rear accross the propeller shaft. Takes a lot of flex out of the chassis and makes steering a lot more precise and responsive.

The 3-piece tie rods on the steering is a lot better than the one found on the straight forward TT01. You also get the bearings for that part when you use bearing kit part no. 54025. makes for some super smooth steering. The front and rear uprights are also different and seems to be a little improved.

Suspension wise all is the same except that the type E has redesigned damper stays and offers 2 damper attachment points. Get mini CVA's as replacement for the mini pogo stick dampers or TRF dampers, part no 42102 or 53571.

Other upgrades I'd suggest is the propeller shaft and joint set part no 54026 to go with the bearings. Do away from the standard drive cups of the kit and use cup joints part no 53790 and universal shaft set part no 53792. They work and looks a lot better than the oversized plastic ones of the kit.

If you want to go faster just get a RZ motor from Tamiya part no 53697. Run that with the 25t pinion and 55t spur gear and you will get a nice turn of speed without really having to fork out a lot of money for an expensive speedo and motor combo.

Most of the other TT01 upgrades are not worth spending money on.

Hope that helps.

Henk :blink:

Another quick question :o

I have looked at upgrading the prop shaft, joint cups etc and just wondered is the upgrade for the part to last longer or just for handling response etc The reason I ask is the car wont be used in competion or anything, it's only going to be used on some tarmaced land at the back of the house :blink:

I don't know if your planning a hotter motor, but even with the silver can and a different pinion/spur setup you will not believe the slop in the standard shaft. It just makes the chassis a lot smoother and more responsive to throttle inputs.

Another quick question <_<

I have looked at upgrading the prop shaft, joint cups etc and just wondered is the upgrade for the part to last longer or just for handling response etc The reason I ask is the car wont be used in competion or anything, it's only going to be used on some tarmaced land at the back of the house :rolleyes:

If you are just driving it around for a laugh you only need bearings. All the other fixes are only needed if you want to refine the handling. If you were to do that then don't waste your money get a TB03 or TA05 as they are much better chassis and cost less than upgrading the TT01

Hi Richard, I agree with all the comments above. I've found the TT-01 to be a really good fun car, I built mine with the ball bearings all through it and the alloy Tamiya shaft with upgraded cups at each diff, the shaft was added because i saw how much it flexed under power. I added the TRF dampers to it and although i dont race or anything even close these dampers are awesome. The feel of the car is just so good with them. As usual I couldn't stop adding other stuff and after a while i've spent more on it than some of the better chassis out there but mate, I wouldn't have it any other way:)

cheers and good luck

Hi chaps back again with another question :lol:

When I painted my scania R470 it was painted using car paint from halfords, However when reading about painted rc car shells the general advice was to use Tamiya PS paint, I have looked into these further and alot of sites are saying to spray the body from the inside? I assume this is so that if/when I bin it into a wall then the paint wont be scratched/damaged but what about the stickers they cant go on from the inside can they?

Sorry might seem a daft question but I have never done this before :lol:

Thanks

Richard

Hi,

Yes, clear bodies are painted on the inside. It is actually easier to get a good finish (IMO) and they can chip less. The stickers still go on th eoutside though...

check the Wheelbase specs... normal is 257mm, short is 251mm. Rear arms just flip around to shorten.