hi everyone. i just got the shaft from a buyer off fleabay this week. i had a used e-flight blade cx2 copter i received in a trade a while back in one of my "i think i can do this" phase that i listed on fleabay. it had a starting price of 99 cents and was listed for 3 days and in the description i listed it as used but everything in working condition and if there was any questions to contact me. well at the last second there was one person that basically sniped the bid and won the item, no questions asked before paying for the item or anything for that matter. i sent the item and when the person received it, he/she started saying that the item was not as described and that the batteries didn't work and the frame wasn't correct, basically an impuse buy without fully asking. well i explained to the buyer that was the way i received it and also everything was in working order before i boxed it and shipped..to make a long story short, i filed a complaint with fleabay and when i went to my paypal account, it showed i had a negative balance due to a chargeback and now i'm out of the money and no copter!!! thank you fleabay for looking out for the seller like you claim!! who's to say if the person MAY return my item that there are missing pieces or basically made the item inoperable because it wasn't to their liking???? HAVE ANYONE BEEN THROUGH THIS???

HAVE ANYONE BEEN THROUGH THIS???

Yep. I've been through this but I did get the item back, albeit damaged so that I couldn't resell it. :lol:

Yep. I've been through this but I did get the item back, albeit damaged so that I couldn't resell it. :lol:

Me too, I've been fairly lucky with ebay, but got stung once when I sold the rear tail lights to my Evo 8 (1:1), they were clean and mint I packaged them up perfectly and sent them.

Got an email back from the seller saying one was broken.

I said I wasn't responsible, but he said he would have to make a "not as described claim and leave a negative" I've got 100% feedback which I didn't really want to lose, so I swallowed it, he got a refund and sent "my lights" back.

One was mine, the other was smashed and dirty, obviously from his own car. I launched a complaint but got no joy from ebay, had to get a part claim from the parcel company but was still £50 out of pocket.

Some people do play the system, so annoying. B)

Bossgrabber1970 and Wez-li,

Sorry to hear about your woes. As someone who buys and sells on ebay periodically I'm interested in knowing: was the buyer in each of your cases someone with low/very low feedback ratings? Is this something you consider may have been avoided by stipulating a minimum feedback rating for bidders?

Thanks

Bossgrabber1970 and Wez-li,

Sorry to hear about your woes. As someone who buys and sells on ebay periodically I'm interested in knowing: was the buyer in each of your cases someone with low/very low feedback ratings? Is this something you consider may have been avoided by stipulating a minimum feedback rating for bidders?

Thanks

in my case the buyer actually have a higher feedback than mine but i also believe this person bought on impuse at the last second....i almost get caught up doing the same thing before i really think about buying anything. sometime i wonder if it is really worth trying to sell anything on fleabay anymore? either way it goes, you are really losing money when you list it, when it sells, shipping and now buyers remorse if they don't want the item even when the listing clearly states no returns. paypal is no pal of mine taking my money out before the issue is resolved!!! that alone shows that fleabay and paypal don't care about the seller or going through a process before they blatantly take the money out. to me, that shows that they don't want to be in the middle and automatically do what is best for them without being liable for anything. the next time i place anything for auction, if the person who buys at the last second hasn't bidded on the item previously, i'm seriously cosidering canceling their bid and sell it to someone who actually was bidding on it before they were sniped. that was the case with my item i had for auction. that person never even bidded on the item until the last 3 seconds, cutting out the person that was acually bidding on it since it was first listed.

Me too, I've been fairly lucky with ebay, but got stung once when I sold the rear tail lights to my Evo 8 (1:1), they were clean and mint I packaged them up perfectly and sent them.

Got an email back from the seller saying one was broken.

I said I wasn't responsible, but he said he would have to make a "not as described claim and leave a negative" I've got 100% feedback which I didn't really want to lose, so I swallowed it, he got a refund and sent "my lights" back.

One was mine, the other was smashed and dirty, obviously from his own car. I launched a complaint but got no joy from ebay, had to get a part claim from the parcel company but was still £50 out of pocket.

Some people do play the system, so annoying. :lol:

I totally sympathise. My story is similar.

I'd sold a tyre for my brother, a near new run flat from his BMW, and the buyer said it was damaged and "couldn't be fitted". We asked for pics and compared pics when they'd sent them and we decided that it was a different tyre, albeit the same model. We contacted eBay and Paypal and sent them our pics as well as the pics they'd sent then the buyer did a dispute and won. What annoys me most is that the buyer had done a dispute with 2 other sellers for the same model tyres and won on those too so this buyer has a complete set of run flat tyres for their car and they got them for nothing. I'm £110 out of pocket and I was left with a part worn tyre for my brothers car which has been cut on the bead so it had to be chucked. B)

...the next time i place anything for auction, if the person who buys at the last second hasn't bidded on the item previously, i'm seriously cosidering canceling their bid and sell it to someone who actually was bidding on it before they were sniped. that was the case with my item i had for auction. that person never even bidded on the item until the last 3 seconds, cutting out the person that was acually bidding on it since it was first listed.

Hmm, it's a difficult one. I have to admit that I commonly lurk in auctions for items I am interested in buying and then attempt to pip everyone else to the post at the last instant. However, I proceed to pay immediately if I have won the item. Therefore, it doesn't necessarily follow that that 'sort' of person should be excluded. Besides, by excluding people like myself you are also reducing the price you sell your item for...

Not sure what the solution is, if indeed there is one. :lol:

@ ?VagabondStarJXF - looks like that guy had his scam well planned out :lol:

@ Rob Buckle - no, he had quite decent feedback, which makes it even more annoying as he came across as a "genuine ebayer" which really, is about as rare as sharks tears.

Ebay is defiantly for buyers rather than sellers.

Got a few bits for sale on there now, but once they're finished I'm not gonna sell anything on there worth more than £20/30. Too much of a risk, fees are a getting ridiculous too.

But without sellers, there can be no buyers, so realistically ebay and paypal should look after them, but don't.

Hmm, it's a difficult one. I have to admit that I commonly lurk in auctions for items I am interested in buying and then attempt to pip everyone else to the post at the last instant. However, I proceed to pay immediately if I have won the item. Therefore, it doesn't necessarily follow that that 'sort' of person should be excluded. Besides, by excluding people like myself you are also reducing the price you sell your item for...

Not sure what the solution is, if indeed there is one. :lol:

my thing is i don't mind people bidding on the item, but before they place a bid in the last second, assuming that they were watching it, is to ask questions before placing it and then they can decide if it is worth buying or passing. i have done that plenty of times before i place bids that way i don't get burned with an item that was misrepresented or wasn't to my liking. my thing is you should be aware of what you are bidding on fully before committing to buy in the last second. if there is something sketchy about a listing i'm interested in, i ask questions and when i get an answer that doesn't suit me, i simply don't bid. how simple is that to comprehend? i had some that requested pics of an item i was selling and i sent them, no extra cost or time on my end and the person was actually pleased that i did that to help with their decision. i could post more pics on a listing but i don't see paying more money for something that should be free when you are getting charged for listing and a percentage of the final selling price.

@ VagabondStarJXF - looks like that guy had his scam well planned out :lol:

I'll say he did. My brother even took the time to contact the other sellers who'd been scammed and they said they'd been trying to reason with eBay and Paypal just as we had but they'd been screwed over too. eBay and Paypal just didn't seem to care that this scam had been performed a few times in succession by this 'buyer'.

At the moment I'm trying to wean myself off of eBay. It's just too easy to buy from there. Fortunately we do have some decent sellers on there that we can use in good faith (e.g. europro and jrrc amongst others) but there's no way of controlling who buys from you when you're the seller, not until you get shafted at least. It's one of the reasons why I've been so reluctant to sell anything on eBay since this happened to me. I've got loads of stuff that I really should sell off but this incident has really scarred my opinion about being a seller on there.

my question is how hard is it to set up a site similar to "fleabay" but when a person list an item, they just get charged 10% of the total selling price instead of nickel and diming a person to death by charging for bold type, u.k. exposure, the number of pics you can post, and anything else they can charge and especially penalizing sellers because of bad feedback from a buyer who just want to give out a bad rating? also why does paypal take a a percentage of the total selling price when they are just providing a service for a person to pay for an item? they didn't help the person out with the listing but they want to get paid like they totally set up their listing? i guess that's what happens when fleabay owns pay"us"pal...we get the shaft every time and there is nothing we can do about it. truthfully it stinks but until something better comes along, i just have to be very careful with who i sell to if i decide to continue selling.

There is an alternative auction site with a totally different pricing structure to ebay - it's called EBID - the trouble is ebay has totally dominated the market and the buyers go straight there. I've had items listed for weeks on ebid with no interest then copied the same auction across to ebay and had it sold within days. Unfortunately if you want to sell then mostly we're stuck with ebay. But why not spread the word - as a buyer try ebid first. If the buyers start looking on ebid then as sellers we will list more stuff there.

Just one other thing though - avoid ebids PPPay payment system - don't even go there, some credit cards treat every PPPay payment as a cash advance rather than a purchase so whack on cash advance fees and immediately start charging interest. Stick with Paypal - atleast you know what they'll be charging. The grass isn't always greener on the other side!

thanks for the info. i just went to www.ebid.net and from what i can see, it's similar to ebay but no outrageous fees and they only charge 3% of the final value, 0% if you are a seller+ member. i think i just found my new auction site!!! :rolleyes:

i decided a while back that i'll never sell on eBay again, it's just too risky. It's a buyer's heaven though. I also sent a set of rear lights from my RS Turbo that were in perfect nick, they arrived to the guy damaged. He contacted me straight away and returned them. I gave him the refund and claimed back from the Royal Mail so thankfully it worked out alright but it opened my eyes to how easily the seller can lose out. Plus the final value fees and Paypal charges! Never again

I'll check out eBid.

I wish someone would start some competition with paypal though.

They're getting a load of money for nothing. <_<

they've started withholding funds for payments for 21 days as well and it's a bit rotten asking buyers to Paypal it as a gift as there is little protection.

they've started withholding funds for payments for 21 days as well and it's a bit rotten asking buyers to Paypal it as a gift as there is little protection.

Really??!!

So they can skim more profit from other peoples money by using it in the finance market maybe?

it's all about "protection" but that was my initial thought too

I can't see how it protects the buyer if the funds can be withdrawn after the 21 days even if they put a claim in so they wouldn't do this so it must be about protecting the seller. But wait, if they buyer can receive the goods then claim the money back after 21 days then the seller is unprotected. Who is it benefitting then? Oh aye, Paypal, as they have your money in their account so they can play with it.

I can't see how it protects the buyer if the funds can be withdrawn after the 21 days even if they put a claim in so they wouldn't do this so it must be about protecting the seller. But wait, if they buyer can receive the goods then claim the money back after 21 days then the seller is unprotected. Who is it benefitting then? Oh aye, Paypal, as they have your money in their account so they can play with it.

Sounds dodgy.

I'm always cynical of financial institutions 'holding' your money through transfers etc.

We're in an electronic age, computers can do instant transfers.

It really agitates me, when weekends/public holidays slow transactions.

I have never heard of a computer taking a day off! <_<

that's what it feels like living in the UK, the working man is pooped on from a great height by anyone and everyone. As long as fatcats are making money they don't care and no-one does anything about it.

I'll be joining you lot in Aus in the next few years once i qualify as i reckon i could make a better life for myself over there. I'm almost qualified as a Quantity Surveyor so getting a job shouldn't be a problem and moving somewhere where there's a better climate, stronger economy, good job prospects, better lifestyle and a great outlook on life makes sense to me. The only downside is my kids would end up with Australian accents!

that's what it feels like living in the UK, the working man is pooped on from a great height by anyone and everyone. As long as fatcats are making money they don't care and no-one does anything about it.

I'll be joining you lot in Aus in the next few years once i qualify as i reckon i could make a better life for myself over there. I'm almost qualified as a Quantity Surveyor so getting a job shouldn't be a problem and moving somewhere where there's a better climate, stronger economy, good job prospects, better lifestyle and a great outlook on life makes sense to me. The only downside is my kids would end up with Australian accents!

With the amount of construction going on down here, I'm sure you'll have plenty of work.

Oz is the place to be!

I'm not sure what my Welsh ancestors would think of my Aussie accent, but I guess they'd be glad I'm not slaving away in a coal mine! <_<

that's exactly what happened in my case when the buyer claimed the item was not as described.....paypal took my balance out and deducted the other amount making it go negative and to add insult to injury, they stated if the negative balance wasn't taken care of within 7 days, my account would be suspended!!!! so in order to "protect" my account, i had to transfer the negative amount out of my personal bank account into the paypal account and while that's going on, the buyer has my cash, the item that i sold, and extra money since before i shipped the item, i issued a refund for shipping because it was cheaper than estimated in the listing!!!!! thanks to the jackwagons like paypal and scammers that can get away with theft without any legal consequences!!!!!!

I'm not sure what my Welsh ancestors would think of my Aussie accent, but I guess they'd be glad I'm not slaving away in a coal mine! <_<

B)

that's exactly what happened in my case when the buyer claimed the item was not as described.....paypal took my balance out and deducted the other amount making it go negative and to add insult to injury, they stated if the negative balance wasn't taken care of within 7 days, my account would be suspended!!!! so in order to "protect" my account, i had to transfer the negative amount out of my personal bank account into the paypal account and while that's going on, the buyer has my cash, the item that i sold, and extra money since before i shipped the item, i issued a refund for shipping becuse it was cheaper than estimated in the listing!!!!! thanks to the jackwagons like paypal and scammers that can get away with theft without any legal consequences!!!!!!

he'll also be able to leave you negative feedback and you can only leave him good, a total joke as far as i'm concerned. Shame you've lost out so much, i hope the guy's next turd is a hedgehog

he'll also be able to leave you negative feedback and you can only leave him good, a total joke as far as i'm concerned. Shame you've lost out so much, i hope the guy's next turd is a hedgehog

<_<

You'll be saying echidna, once you make the big move! B)