Sign in to follow this  
nosthevamp

Brat Rat & TEU-104BK

I have just about finished reviving my original Monster Beetle, but that is another story. During the time i have been doing it up I have collected quite a few spares along with some bits I got cheap of ebay thinking they be of some use. Along with the Monster Beetle I picked upo a Mud Blaster body and a couple of sets of yellow wheels. The Idea being to sometimes use the MB as a Mud Blaster.

On surveying all my spares I realised I have enough to make a new car including radio gear, all i needed was an engine speed controller and receiver, after collecting these I started putting it all together It looks quite good (or it will do once the Mud Blaster body is painted). I have a Frog chassis with a Blackfoot gearbox fitted with Lunchbox wheels and tyres, and Brat body mounts; all fits together realy well. I bought a Ansmann clash 23 motor and a TEU-104BK ESC. I was thinking as the 104 was a direct replacement for the 101 and that would suit a 23 turn motor the 104 would to.

Troulbe is though on reading the TEU-104BK manual it says it is suitable for a Sports tuned Motor or down to 25 turns. Will it be safe to use this motor? Alternativly can I use this motor in my old FF01 with a MSC? I can then use the standaard motor from that in my Brat Rat. I am thinking the later option would be a better idea as then the Hybrid would make a good match with my old Monster Beetle in a family race.

Any answers would be a great help.

Cheers

I can't say I've tried it but my response would be that the motor would cause the ESC to have a meltdown or at least have damage.

I'm thinking I'd better put that motor in my Touring car, and use the standard motor from that in the bitza. I guess the standard MSC will take that motor?

Officially the TEU104 will only take anything down to a 25T motor.

Now if you're racing the things that is probably going to bear out, however I have a TEU104 running a Tamiya Super Stock TZ motor in my DF-03Ra that I use for bashing down the beach. Now that is a 23T motor and even after a whole 5000mah Nimh battery I'm not seeing meltdown of the TEU104.

Admittedly I normally swap cars after each battery to allow motor and ESC to cool down, but my TEU104 is still ticking along quite happily.

I needed an ESC for my TB-01 that I built recently from NIB (had an original MSC in the kit, although where you put an MSC in the TB-01 bathtub chassis is anyones guess!) and the only spare ESC I had at home was a slightly temperamental TEU104 so I figured "what the heck.......if it dies it dies". That one is now running a Yokomo 19T quite happily. When it finally melts it I'll tell you!

Not trying to Hijack, but has anyone tried the Mtroniks Speedies. Seem pretty good for the money to handle 23T Superstock motors.

Only issue I see is no reverse, not great for bashing, but I rarely use reverse anyway due to regular racing

Thanks for your input guys. In the end I have put the standard motor from my old FF01 into the bitza and put the 23t motor in the FF01. I don't want it to be too fast when compared to my Monster Beetle.

Well i use a teu101bk with a 21t and 7cell and its still going strong! You'll be fine.

Thanks Dan, so I should be OK if I need to put the 23turn motor back in the brat thing.

Cheers.

Pinions arrived this am now just got to sort the gearing and wait for new batteries.

Thanks Dan, so I should be OK if I need to put the 23turn motor back in the brat thing.

Cheers.

Pinions arrived this am now just got to sort the gearing and wait for new batteries.

yer, somepeople run them on 19t's and even 12t titans!!

Ansmann clash motors arent very torquey so dont gear too high.

I'm running the standard engine from the FF01 in it at the moment. I put a 12 tooth pinion on with the blackfoot spur gear. not sure how many teeth this has, but gearing seems about right. It's seems be going OK with 15 year old ni-cad. I have a couple of different pinions (18 & 19) but without a spur change or adjustable motor mount they won't fit. I've got to get some new batteries, but for now all seems good.

I wasn't a 12t pinion I had but a 16t. Have managed to get hold of a new CRP motor mount. I'm looking for a 11 or 12 tooth pinion to work with the Lunchbox wheels, although with the current pinion it does spin the rear wheels on carpet. I am thinking of putting some Schumacher Mini Pin Tyres on a set of Blackfoot rims I have, which should give me better gearing and a tad more clearence.

I've worked out the gearing, using the Monster Beetle's gearing as a starting point. The 16t pinion I have fitted now gives me the same gearing when fitted with Brat sized wheels. The lunch Box wheels I have fitted need a pinion between 10 and 11 and the (10 being the closest). I am making up another set of wheels/tyres that are 92mm Dia and these need a sprocket between 12 and 13 (both equaly close to the the MB gearing).

I know the MB has a 10t pinion but what I am after are a set of steel pinions, 10t to 13t with the correct pitch (is that the word?) to match the Blackfoot spur gear. Anybody know what I should be looking for? Also I need a steel pinion to fit an FF01 (24t); I asked on another thread but could not find any of the size I was told would fit.

HELP!

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any help :)

Put a 12t pinion on with blackfoot wheels fitted with 92mm dia buggy tyres (fitted but the rims are a little too wide) to test gearing with no body on chassis. Kept flipping onto its back, when going forward after reversing. These dia wheels give me slightly lower gearing than the MB, I have some 100mm dia truck tyres on the way which should fit the rims nicely, this will give me slightly higher gearing than the MB. Not sure if this will stop it doing backflips, I've got a 13t pinion on back order to raise the gearing if needed. Its a while since I ran the MB in anger (over 20 years) so I can't remeber if it use to flip over; I suspect it did as when I got it down from the loft the rear number plate and boot light where broken off/missing.

The cube pin tyres I've fitted have 105x55 on the sidewalls, so I guess the actual Dia is 105mm. So I have fitted an 11 tooth pinion which gives me more or less the same gearing as the MB. I have made up a bracket that sits on top of the front body mount and mounted 2 shocks on the front. I am still using the standard front springs though. The bodyshell (not sure if it is a re-re Brat or a Mud Blaster as it had no stickers) will get painted in metalic red with Mud Blaster stickers, so it will go well with the Blackfoot wheels.

Not sure how to put photos up. I think I would need to be a paid up member to have my own Photos up on the club site, perhaps someone could confirm this? In the meantime I'll probably put a new page up on my website with Photos of my Tamiya Kits.