Henk4Focus

AXIAL WRAITH ROCK RACER BUGGY

I haven't seen any posts on this on any Forum yet that I visit from time to time. It looks pretty awesome from where I'm sitting. Can't wait to see the full specs on this especially the axles sounds like a nice piece of kit. What do you think?

post-23688-1301315514_thumb.jpg

post-23688-1301315565_thumb.jpg

Axial are being tight-lipped about it, but there's 30+ pages of speculation on RCC about it, even down to which set of wheels it comes with.

Rumour has it the axles are a new design for Axial, as opposed to an AX/SCX casing, but I can't even remember whether that was speculation or fact.

There are also a few pics around of a non-Axial rig which looks a lot like the Wraith, but it's a scratchbuilt tuber based on the 1:1 version, so watch what you read and believe

Here's their 1:1

mini-dsc_0029.jpg

And the 'tribute'

post-1185-1301317638_thumb.jpg

I also saw a few scraps here and there. Can't wait to see what it will look like though. I hope the axials are gonna life up to what I hope they'd be. Metal casings, metal casings, metal casings.....say it with me....metal casings, me.......

Also would like to see what the interior is gonna be like. Looks mighty fine on the "spy" pics.

I hope they improve the quality of the plastic seats - they seem to dissolve upon contact with mud <_<

Looks an interesting rock racer though - be interested to see how it compares spec wise to the Gmade R1.

Holy blummin mother of wossname, that looks fantastic!

I was going to get myself a Gmade R1 for my birthday this year, but if the Axial offering when it's released is anything like those pictures, I'll be holding out for one of those! Absolutely love it!!

Looks fantastic. Why oh why though aren't Tamiya much more on the ball with the ever growing scale crawler market? You'd have thought that, given their past history, they'd lead the way with this sort of kit. Strange they don't seem to be releasing much. I was always really wanting a TXT-2 with lockable diffs and possibly even gears. A design somewhere between the F-350 and TXT-1. They also don't seem to be doing anything new to improve upon the CR-01 chassis. Maybe this year we'll get something..

Looks fantastic. Why oh why though aren't Tamiya much more on the ball with the ever growing scale crawler market? You'd have thought that, given their past history, they'd lead the way with this sort of kit. Strange they don't seem to be releasing much. I was always really wanting a TXT-2 with lockable diffs and possibly even gears. A design somewhere between the F-350 and TXT-1. They also don't seem to be doing anything new to improve upon the CR-01 chassis. Maybe this year we'll get something..

For some reason, they prefer pointless, expensive 'innovations' like cantilevered shocks and belt drive gearboxes over mass-market run-of-the-mill sellers with simple 4 linked suspension and basic geared transmissions.

If you look at the TLT page on Tamiya's US site, some of the guys there even went to the trouble of making a TLT that actually performed and Tamiya still didn't take notice.

2008 Article; http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=350

Undated, but older (I think) http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=135

The TLT axles were even the main donor for nearly all early crawlers and Tamiya still didn't take notice.

Kinda makes ya think that if they didn't 'invent' it, they're not gonna do it and if they do it'll cost twice as much because of all the extra screws needed :lol:

Kinda makes ya think that if they didn't 'invent' it, they're not gonna do it, and if they do, it'll cost twice as much because of all the extra screws needed :lol:

Its funny actually. I've just ordered a whole load of new bits to covert my CR-01 Unimog into a 'proper' scale crawler, or at least into a better scale crawler. The CR-01 is just absurdly over designed. On the one hand you kind of like to applaud Tamiya because they do think outside the box and they do have rather unique and original approaches to their designs. However in the case of the CR-01 they came up with a design which was way over complicated and costs almost twice the price of kits which are simply way better. Its daft. I've always stuck with Tamiya for the same reason a lot of us have here but this Axial truck will be my next purchase I think, if it comes out.

I've always stuck with Tamiya for the same reason a lot of us have here but this Axial truck will be my next purchase I think, if it comes out.

Pretty sure the Wraith's a legit 'rumour' - the 'spy shot' below has been around since February - either that or it's the most drawn-out April Fool ever

There are some other 'spy shots' dribbling out now, one of the truck obscured by vegitation and another with two trucks running side by side, but very out of focus.

Conspiracy theorists are now opining that this 'leaked' shot could've been Axial getting two months worth of free advertising/hype as it looks like it was taken at a meet somewhere, but it was the only pic taken

If you look, the rear driveshaft's missing, so it wasn't being 'driven' at the meet...

wraith.jpg

it's really getting drawn out so lets hope it lives up to the hype.

There's no 'official' hype, just rampant forum speculation and demand (Avante flashbacks :lol:) - the manufacturers and press have barely acknowledged it yet although the RCC Thread has a couple of Axial contributors now, but they're not saying much.

Phoned the SA importers of Axial and enquired about the Wraith. What do you know, all I got was a "Eh, no sorry, Axial doesn't make such a crawler". After futher enquiry the guy didn't know much of anything, either a newby or just there for the money, or he is also keeping a tight lip.

I so wish that the Tamiya bunch wants to under engineer something like this for us. :lol:

You can pre-order them in the US - tcs crawlers and ckcc crawlers already listing them..

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Pre-Order-Axial...18-p-18443.html

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax90018-axials...der-p-3228.html

Much as i like the looks of it i'd want a kit, not a RTR and at projected US price of $350 its likely to be £350 plus in UK.

Thats put my mind at rest - Gmade R1 at £219 (plus electrics) was the right choice for me.

Much as i like the looks of it i'd want a kit, not a RTR

:) From Axial's blog;

OFFICIAL AXIAL STATEMENT

Yes we listen…

Yes the Wraith will come in KIT Form.

It will follow after the RTR, not at the same delivery time.

Too late, started the R1 build now, and i can always find a lexan jeep body to pop over the top :)

Given i want the R1 as more a dirt basher i'll resist the Wraith for a while.

Video released;

The phrase 'bored now' springs to mind B)

Apparently there's a big meet in Las Vegas this weekend, and it's been hinted that there may be more to see there, so I guess you'll have to wait until this time tomorrow at best before anything really new arrives.

The blog's here; http://axialracing.com/wordpress/

Any official press media (and huge hi-res pics) usually ends up here; http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/press.html

changed my mind decided not to spill the beans...please delete