Sign in to follow this  
Scorpn

M05 Uprights and C hubs on M03

Hi All,

I race a M03 mini at our local club and bought myself an M05 which I love as it it so smooth to drive even though it is a bit heavy. But the M03 was a lot of fun except for the front uprights bending , I was going through one each meeting, and not having big hits either, sometimes I didn't hit anything, just clipping the corner plates and the rotten thing would bend.

So I looked at the M05 uprights which are a much nicer design and had a bit of a fiddle with them and guess what? - They fit. Perfectly. And the geometry looks better with a smidge of negative camber and straight steering arms. The only negative is you can not fit the sway bars as the M05 uprights have shorter steering links (Straight steering arms!!). Rear uprights give toe in as well!!

Now my question is has anyone driven an M03 with this mod. I have had a brief drive and all looks good but I won't be racing it for a while and wondered if there is any feedback about the modification - excessive grip roll etc and how long do the uprights last?

The standard M03 ones I am sure are too sensitive to the torque effect of the long ball stud, the reinforcing is designed for fore and aft movement not rotation. The M05 ones look to be stronger and more sensibly reinforced in all four directions with a short torque movement.

Thanks

Glenn

I had no problems using M05 C hub + steering knuckle with the sway bars.

which M03 do you have... does it run 1150 BBs all round?

the M03s Suzi Swift & after have a revised knuckle design using 1050 BBs, they're more durable than the TL01 knuckles.

Drop in retrofit to older cars, you will need to also replace new 1050 BBs and TA04 kingpins.

This is essentially what M05 inherited.

Before these were available racers used to retrofit the HotshotII red knuckles which are a dropin fit also;

however may contravene racing rules re using parts only intended for M03/5.

which M03 do you have... does it run 1150 BBs all round?

the M03s Suzi Swift & after have a revised knuckle design using 1050 BBs, they're more durable than the TL01 knuckles.

Drop in retrofit to older cars, you will need to also replace new 1050 BBs and TA04 kingpins.

This is essentially what M05 inherited.

Before these were available racers used to retrofit the HotshotII red knuckles which are a dropin fit also;

however may contravene racing rules re using parts only intended for M03/5.

Hi Willy,

I have the original Mini with 1150 bearings so I prefer the M05 solution, I like big bearings!! (to the tune of "I like big butts"), the M03M (Swift) uprights are pretty much the same as the M03 ones, have two holes on the steering arm but still use the long ball stud. Feedback from other racers suggest that the M03M bend as often as the M03 ones, but cost twice as much as the M05 uprights!! plus this solution helps to future proof the M03 a bit for when Tamiya in their wisdom stop production of the M03 and assorted parts. The uprights are the only parts I have replaced in five years of racing.

I've always used the aluminium knuckles on my M03's and M05's. Never bent one, problem solved and they also look bling.

I've always used the aluminium knuckles on my M03's and M05's. Never belt one, problem solved and they also look bling.

The newer M05 plastic steering knuckle is better IMO since it's already curved up. You only need to add a small spacer to ensure there's no bump steer. For the aluminum, it's flat so you need a lot of spacer or use the taller brass ball head to minimize bump steer.

The newer M05 plastic steering knuckle is better IMO since it's already curved up. You only need to add a small spacer to ensure there's no bump steer. For the aluminum, it's flat so you need a lot of spacer or use the taller brass ball head to minimize bump steer.

The old M03 aluminium upright, 53523 was flat like the standard M03 upright, but the newer M03R aluminium upright, 49441 which became the M05 aluminium upright, 54177 steps up and only requires a small spacer like the standard M05 upright. My M03R and M05PRO both have this upright fitted.

The old M03 aluminium upright, 53523 was flat like the standard M03 upright, but the newer M03R aluminium upright, 49441 which became the M05 aluminium upright, 54177 steps up and only requires a small spacer like the standard M05 upright. My M03R and M05PRO both have this upright fitted.

Sorry if I wasn't being clear, I was talking from M03R and M05 Aluminum Steering Upright. The M05 plastic steering upright steps up a bit higher then both of these. Even though I have the aluminum ones, I find using the plastic ones gives me better steering and control.