mtl_slo

Tamiya TT-01 problem with steering

I have A TT-01 with following hop-ups:

- ESC is regular from TT-01

- motor is LRP Runner Special 4: http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electric-mot...cial-4/details/

- radio set is LRP A3-STX Deluxe and A3-RX Deluxe (http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/transmitters...gs-set/details/

- oil dumpers, etc.

The problem is that after cca. 10 minutes of driving the steering just turnes fully left and then it does not react to anything. Then I was checking it and it started to work again (I changed batteries, etc.). It took some 5 minutes to work on it. When the steering is blocked forward and backward works, so the car runs in circules. What I have noticed is that now when the temperatures are higher (cca. 20 degrees of Celsius) the motor is quickly hot. Is there some kind of temperature sensor or where should I look for the problem? Is it radio set? Anyway, I am using NiMh batteries, could this be a problem, to little of power from batteries? Because one time that this problem occured, I have changed the batterie to full charged and it started to work normally.

I also have additional question: currently I have an alu heatsink, but I will have to buy heatsink with cooling fan. What should I buy that will be compatible, since TT-01 has very limited space around the motor?

It might be because you are using a digital radio set with a analog steering servo.

It might be because you are using a digital radio set with a analog steering servo.

That wont cause a problem Daz, I use lots of basic analog servos with my digital radios and never have a steering issue. I would look to see if maybe its a servo issue have u tried plugging in a different servo to receiver to rule that out? Also check the steering on car is free and smooth, no binding etc.

Does the radio have some sort of built in fail safe? I know mine does if the reciever pack is too low (includes the stick pack if using the BEC), or if the radio looses signal. It will apply the brakes and steer full one direction if set that way (how I have it set for the nitros and Baja 5B).

The other thing may be a faulty or over heated, over voltaged servo. Does the reciever have a built in BEC? The TEU101 ESC will suplly the full 7.2v to the reciver and servos if it doesn't. Testing the voltage on the red and black wire to the servo while the ESC is on will tell you if the servo is getting 6.0v or 7.2v. Using an external BEC between the ESC and reciever will fix this.

I have checked few things and have remembered that this started to happen after I have changed the batteries in the car without switching off the car.

So I did a test today and changed the battery with car switched off and there were no problems. I will do few more tests during weekend.

I have checked the manual of RC controller and there is no fail safe mode described.

Anyway, does anyone use alu heatsing with cooling fan? Which do you use, since there is very little space for this in TT-01 chassis?

Looking at the specs for your receiver on LRP's website, I don't think it has a built in BEC circuit, so you're possibly putting too much power into your servo. The receiver may be able to handle 7.2 volts, but your servo is probably getting too hot then playing up. What make and model is the servo?

Hope this helps.

I've had similar problems in the past and it came down to the power cable socket where it goes into the ESC. I would just push down on the socket and the problem would be gone until it rattled out again.

I run a Super Stock in my one TT and has never had to worry about heat. If you have a lot of heat there might be a gearing problem? Sounds a bit difficult to do with a TT chassis though as it is almost impossible to miss match pinion and spur.

Looking at the specs for your receiver on LRP's website, I don't think it has a built in BEC circuit, so you're possibly putting too much power into your servo. The receiver may be able to handle 7.2 volts, but your servo is probably getting too hot then playing up. What make and model is the servo?

Hope this helps.

I will check next time if servo is overheating. Original Tamiya TSU-01 servo is installed.

I've had similar problems in the past and it came down to the power cable socket where it goes into the ESC. I would just push down on the socket and the problem would be gone until it rattled out again.

I run a Super Stock in my one TT and has never had to worry about heat. If you have a lot of heat there might be a gearing problem? Sounds a bit difficult to do with a TT chassis though as it is almost impossible to miss match pinion and spur.

I will check also all the cables again, though I have checked them already.

Anyway gearing is correct. I have installed appropriate gearing to the hop-up motor with taking into account the possible combination of pinion and spur (see picture below).

2it-tt01ge.jpg

Also original motor with original gearing became very hot after driving it for cca. 15 minutes at the temperature of 30 degrees of Celsius, so I would like to go for a heatsink with fan. I am checking these three:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=400207670087

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Light-Twin-Fan-H...=item336596cb69

http://cgi.ebay.com/36mm-x-65mm-540-550-Mo...=item3352e0f100

Especially the last one looks ok, I will have to cut the heatsink on the side that goes to the middle and in front, because there is plastic chassis, but the rest should fit. I did this on current heatsink. Of course the plastic cover of a motor that comes with TT-01E chassis had to go... B)