Sign in to follow this  
tonyleic

storage

I haven’t been on here for a while but sadly i need to put my few models in storage in the loft what’s the best way of doing so? Anything special i should do to the tyres or rubber bits?

Thanks for your thoughts

Tony

I've only got basic stuff to offer but it might be of help... If you can store them off of their tyres then you'll avoid those flat spots that can develop over time. If you're storing nitro models make sure you flush out the system of any fuel before storing. I always find doing a complete breakdown, clean and rebuild before storage is always better than not. That way you can pull them out of storage and get playing with them faster and with less worry that anything will be wrong when you do.

I've only got basic stuff to offer but it might be of help... If you can store them off of their tyres then you'll avoid those flat spots that can develop over time. If you're storing nitro models make sure you flush out the system of any fuel before storing. I always find doing a complete breakdown, clean and rebuild before storage is always better than not. That way you can pull them out of storage and get playing with them faster and with less worry that anything will be wrong when you do.

many thanks

should i remove all rubber biits and suspension parts and seal them in a plastic bag?

Do you mean all the o rings 'n stuff inside the dampers? I wouldn't but that's me. At the most I'd clean up everything but I guess it really depends on how long you'll be storing everything. If you're planning on storing for years then maybe you could empty the oil out of your dampers, wipe off the excess off the seals 'n stuff, reassemble and put them back on the model for storage. If it's just a few weeks or months then I'd just clean everything up.

edit:

What models will you be storing away?

I stored my monster beetle for about 15 years without problems after I took the radio gear out for another car. Took wheels off and layed them on their side in original box, rest of car kept in another box all up in the loft. I've since bought new tyres but only because the spikes had worn off the originals, otherwise they were still in great condition. The car that recived the radio gear was left in a cupboard on its wheels an they were completly trashed. I have soem old Blackfoot tyres and they are also completly useless because they had the car on them. No problems with oil shocks or anything else. Think main thing is to keep weight of wheels/tyres and springs/shocks, and make sure they is no damp.