TamiyaDan

Tamiya FAV re-release announced!(unsure)

No chance of the Supershot. The Fox would be great but unlikely. Think an all metal 3 speed could grace us and the Astute was a coffee can so is highly likely to turn up at some point in the future

Never say never. People have eaten their words after making such bold predictions many times on this site before!

Does the original FAV use the same wheels and tyres as the Rough Rider? From the pics in post 189, it looks like Buggy Champ wheels and tyres ... ??? no???

Does the original FAV use the same wheels and tyres as the Rough Rider? From the pics in post 189, it looks like Buggy Champ wheels and tyres ... ??? no???

Yes but the wheels are a different colour. This re-release is 99.9% certain to use the Buggy Champ tyres too.

I am going on past experience of Tamiya re issues, each chassis or certainly the residual parts are released twice (four times for the GH gear box)! Frog/Brat, Hornet/Grasshopper, Lunch Box/Pumpkin, Thundershot/Fire Dragon, Top Force/Manta Ray, shall i continue?? And we have already had the Hotshot based pair with the Boomerang. The Fox was a bespoke chassis and for this reason, unless Tamiya change their existing strategy then i cannot see this coming. I will certainly eat my words, my shoes and my hat if the Supershot gets a re issue! :(

Excellent. I'll keep a bottle of sauce by for you just in case. Whilst I agree with you that logic and reason would dictate you're absolutely right, "It will never be released" has usually resulted in a release not long afterwards. The Sand Scorcher would never be re-re'd, and neither would the Avante, but here we are. One thing you might want to bare in mind too is that we've had a number of different variations of Buggy Champ because of surplus stocks (we're assuming). Who's to say that someone at Tamiya (I was tempted to say a "Big Wig", but thought better of it :D ) won't say "Hey.. we've got some surplus HotShots lieing about that aren't moving, why don't we do just what we did in the 90s and re issue it as a Super Shot?"

As we've said before, Tamiya have done re-re's before they even called them re-re's, so there's absolutely no reason to assume they won't keep doing that.

I can read Sand Blaster JR on the tyres!

The pic is from the old catalog

The F.A.V will use the BC tyres!

Badboy

i personaly would love a buggy that goes from road to nimble

worth buying just to see what that actually is? :(

I am really so happy that Tamiya re-release the Fast Attack Vehicle!! I gonna buy two kits from start. One for me and one for my doughter, she loves that buggy too. I own now two FAV's and I do not mind the re-release at all. I am glad now that I can run them without having bad remorse... can't wait when the first kits hit the market.

Side note re updated drive shafts:

In my experience it is an internet myth that the original style half shafts wear out quickly. I find these solid hex joints are FAR more robust than modern dog bones/ball pin cup drive shafts.

Pin cup drive shafts have only the pin connecting to the cups, and as we all know Tamiya even has to sell hardened versions of diff cups because they wear out and also the plastic caps to make the pins fit more snugly.

26 plus years running my WO is still on it's originals and they show little evidence of wear.

Not all advancements are better. The old style is ofcourse much heavier, but unless racing, thats no problem.

That said,

This will be the first re re that I buy when it is 'new' :lol:

Got to disagree with you there Singapore 959.

My original Blackfoot wasn't raced properly (you simply couldn't race those things as they just fell over!), however I used to get through dozens of drive shafts in the thing. They just went round far too easily, and that was with nothing more potent than a silver can in there.

My Monster Beetle owning friend and I used to plan out our trips to Shrewsbury where the nearest tamiya stockist was just to get enough drive shafts in to keep us going.

My rebuilt Monster Beetle is just used for bashing and it's Frog re-issue dog bone drive shafts are holding up far better than the hex ones ever did.

Viva la revolution I say!

Got to disagree with you there Singapore 959.

My original Blackfoot wasn't raced properly (you simply couldn't race those things as they just fell over!), however I used to get through dozens of drive shafts in the thing. They just went round far too easily, and that was with nothing more potent than a silver can in there.

My Monster Beetle owning friend and I used to plan out our trips to Shrewsbury where the nearest tamiya stockist was just to get enough drive shafts in to keep us going.

My rebuilt Monster Beetle is just used for bashing and it's Frog re-issue dog bone drive shafts are holding up far better than the hex ones ever did.

Viva la revolution I say!

+1, I wore the shafts out in my Mud Blaster in no time, and also acquired a frog with rounded hex shafts, and a wild one that 'clicked' well. The hex drives don't like sharp angles and big wheels. I never had a problem with the hex drive on the centre drive shaft of my orignial hotshot.

Monster Trucks with oversized 120mm tires are the drive shafts dead. So there is the difference. The huge tires are the reason of wearing down these drive shafts. I also ran my Frog, Wild One and BlackFoot quite a lot. The Black Foot drive shaft where down quite quick while the Frog and the Wild One never had problems with them. Yes, once in the Wild One when I was using a tuned motor I had problems with these drive shafts, but basically, when they were good lubed and sealed by in tact rubber boots, they could last long.

The hex driveshafts wear too quickly for my liking. After going through two sets in my Fox in a few months (it doesn't drive much at all - my least driven buggy), I found a dogbone kit for it and the wear has pretty much stopped. It was the only wear problem I was having on the Fox.

They look nice though. The last set I bought have never turned in anger and live on the shelf queen Fox. They'll never wear out sitting on the shelf. :lol:

By comparison, I've worn out very few dogbones and cups. With hardened drivecups it's really only the cross pin that wears. When they do it's a simple job of press out the crosspin and press a new one in. It's right again for another few years. I've had more issues with the universal end of the driveshafts with the heads snapping off.

My ex FAV

and still going WO

must be special then :);)

I stand by my comments, but happy to accept that something different can occur for others.

:lol:

Is this why the later FAV's had an oval block on the side of the rear arms instead of a round block to stoop the rear arms from dropping too much when the car was air-bound, etc. This helped prevent the drive-shafts dropping out of the cups. Please correct me if i'm wrong!!

Is this why the later FAV's had an oval block on the side of the rear arms instead of a round block to stoop the rear arms from dropping too much when the car was air-bound, etc. This helped prevent the drive-shafts dropping out of the cups. Please correct me if i'm wrong!!

i would think that was true.

i had a Frog and still have a Blackfoot that use the newer dog bone set up.

i got a pair of re-re Frog UJ's for it and quickly found that they developed a wear ring on the dog bone end about 5mm from the tip that goes into the diff output.

this wear mark was due to the droop in the rear arms...all the suspension was brand new but the molded down stops didnt limit the droop enough.

the end result was it would kick out the dog bones or in the case of the UJ's simply grind the drive shaft against the diff output cup,leaving a tell tale mark behind.

through trial and error i managed to find a size of damper that limited the droop.

once installed the whole set up was remarkably quiet and smooth compared to the vibration and clicks i had before.

i dont see the W1 or Fav being any different as the trailing arm set up is really quite limited in travel by the relatively short length of the drive shafts and the angles they pass through.

ive always thought that this was most likely the cause for a bad rep for both Frog and FAV gearboxes as when the arm is allowed to droop too far when jumping or when the chassis leans over and the gear diff makes one wheel spin furiously,any "catching" of the drive shaft in the slots on the drive cup cause major stresses.

the original hex must have been just as bad (no experience with them) and due to the zip tie drive shaft boots probably worse ,as the only way to distribute the stress was friction and wear or the extreme of grinding the small die-cast diff gears against the outer bevels.(in the W1 and Fav's case you then have to shim the gap that bevel wear causes)

i remember a Wild One project i tried a while back and after tinkering about with the drive line and getting it smooth and catch free, the suspenion travel wasnt affected greatly

but did highlight that there wasnt a great deal of travel to start with.

I seem to remember my Blackfoot going through a couple sets of diff gears (once from when the servo arm popped off the speed control and it hit the garage door at full throttle...oops), but the axles held up well. But years later, I had a secondhand Brat, with no diff, and the axles skipped like crazy.

None of that drivetrain is a brilliant design. But hey, if you want something indestructible, be a sheep and buy a Slash. I'm fully aware that "personality" in mechanical equipment is just a synonym for "design flaw." And I don't care. :lol:

I seem to remember my Blackfoot going through a couple sets of diff gears (once from when the servo arm popped off the speed control and it hit the garage door at full throttle...oops), but the axles held up well. But years later, I had a secondhand Brat, with no diff, and the axles skipped like crazy.

None of that drivetrain is a brilliant design. But hey, if you want something indestructible, be a sheep and buy a Slash. I'm fully aware that "personality" in mechanical equipment is just a synonym for "design flaw." And I don't care. :lol:

i agree the character is the draw regarding Tamiya.

that's why i love TC....armed with collective info,the new FAV's,Wild Ones,Brats and Frogs can all run happily for longer with simple easy tweaks.

come to think of it...thats good in its own right...you build it,paint it and tweak it.and you certainly cant get that experience RTR straight from a box! ;)

My ex FAV

and still going WO

must be special then :);)

I stand by my comments, but happy to accept that something different can occur for others.

:lol:

Singapore, you're not special. My Frog still has its original set of half shafts/joint shafts. I raced it a couple of times, and wore out a number of sets of tires and pinions on it. I only stopped running it back in the day because the pressed alu parts on the suspension wore out to the point where the slop meant it couldn't run in a straight line any more. And I had to keep squeezing the gearbox plates with vice grips to keep the diff together.

I can only conclude the problem with the hex shafts was if you packed them with grease, as soon as dirt or sand got into them, the grease turned into abrasive paste and they wore out quickly. Same if you underlubricated them. Both the hex ends of the dogbones and the insides of the joint shafts would wear out.

The key to keeping my old Frog running was making sure the rubber boots were secured properly, and regular blasting out with cleaner spray and re-packing with clean molybdenum grease.

- James

I flogged the guts out of my FAV when I was younger virtually indestructible never replaced a part except for the tyres.

It was even used to do the beer run out to my Dad who was laying on a banana chair fishing about 300 metres away on the beach at Yeppon in QLD ,needed a mate using binoculars to guide me to him ,a beer can fits perfectly sticking out of the rollcage beside the driver ,only problem was I didn't have enough time to do a quick charge before he was waving his arm for another ;)

Sold the old girl when I was 18 for $25 bucks and a ticket to the local pub that had a band playing ,ahh those were the days foot loose and fancy free :lol:

I think its down to different experiences from different folks. My Frog never had a diff problem or halfshaft problem. My Blackfoot never had a diff problem but did eat halfshafts. My FAV never had a halfshaft problem but quickly had a diff problem. This much is certain, the halfshafts were enough of an issue for enough people for Tamiya to redesign it to a dogbone style. Even Mudblaster kits here in the States included extra halfshafts in the kit.

a beer can fits perfectly sticking out of the rollcage beside the driver ,only problem was I didn't have enough time to do a quick charge before he was waving his arm for another :P

OK, my FAV (when it gets here) will have a whole new purpose.... LOL. This also solves the age-old dilema of how much of a pain in the rear these are to paint! Bag the camouflage paint job and throw some Budweiser stickers on to go with the beer delivery machine and party on! :unsure:

OK, my FAV (when it gets here) will have a whole new purpose.... LOL. This also solves the age-old dilema of how much of a pain in the rear these are to paint! Bag the camouflage paint job and throw some Budweiser stickers on to go with the beer delivery machine and party on! :unsure:

If you have a 3-channel radio, perhaps you could add a servo-actuated can-catapult instead of the machine gun!