TamiyaDan

Tamiya FAV re-release announced!(unsure)

I think its down to different experiences from different folks. My Frog never had a diff problem or halfshaft problem. My Blackfoot never had a diff problem but did eat halfshafts. My FAV never had a halfshaft problem but quickly had a diff problem. This much is certain, the halfshafts were enough of an issue for enough people for Tamiya to redesign it to a dogbone style. Even Mudblaster kits here in the States included extra halfshafts in the kit.

I recall loosing them on my Subaru Brat very often.. which did not have a diff.. if memory serves me well they used to pop out on jumps.. If the Frog/ Brat came with updated dog bones, then I am sure this will have updates at well. With all thats going on over in Japan, Im glad to see Tamiya is continuing with new models and re-releases.

When i was a kid i remember it was the metal bracket on the trailing arm that caused the most grief on my mates Frog, wearing away the plastic resulting in horrendous slop in the rear and the inevitable loss of a drive shaft or certainly a half hour hunt on ones hands and knees in the dust and dirt to find it!

On my Frog it wasn't the plastic arms that gave me grief - The plastic didn't wear that much. It was the soft aluminium supports and the locating holes in the gearbox plates that wore. The holes would elongate and cause all sorts of slop. The outer arm brackets wore until the plastic arm touched the screw.

I am seriously tempted to get a FAV. It looks like it would be fun to paint.

- James

I just hope Tamiya re issue an XB version. I usually love building and especially painting but the camo theme (it looks the best imo) is just too much hassle. Please Tamiya do not release the XB version in drab Beige!

If they were to do an XB to this standard I'd be tempted myself....TamOR's beauty.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...7&sid=19212

FAV1.jpg

FAV6.jpg

Just out of interest really, were the rear round/oval blocks on the rear arms and, the the black front ball joint ends the only differences the original FAV had in its production?

As always, it is just a matter how you deal with your cars. Some people wear out parts faster while others do not need to change anything after years of running.

i always thought that the F103 carbon re-inforced uprights would look cool on a Fav/W1 and also a Hornet.

it would take away the white nylon look and be stronger too..win win.

It would be cool if Tamiya came up with some hop-ups.. ball diff perhaps?

A ball diff would be awesome, just think of how many aplications it would have.

I know I would buy one for my frog & wild one. I bet just about everyone that owns a monster truck with that gearbox would want one.

I wasn't aware it's the same diff as frog/ brat.. In that case I doubt it will happen, since Tamiya didn't make one available for the frog which is pretty popular

I wasn't aware it's the same diff as frog/ brat.. In that case I doubt it will happen, since Tamiya didn't make one available for the frog which is pretty popular

It's also the same diff for the hotshot, hotshot II, boomerang, bigwig, supershot, and super sabre. Yes, a ball diff would be good

Just to add something to the comments on the other (now locked) FAV thread regarding the value of original NIBs and built examples following the arrival of a re-release version....the vintage market prices now seem to be largely unaffected by re-re's. Infact the two now seem to successfully exist in tandem without treading on each other's toes whereas back in the early days when a re-release came out the values of the respective original did seem to suffer quite a bit.

This might have something to do with the fact that NIBs & new builts etc are even more scarce nowadays, hence the old "supply & demand" golden rule applying. However it could also be simply down to the possibility that many people still crave an original version, even if it is 95% identical to the re-release....and even if they actually own a re-release.

I was looking at Swarm's showroom the other day and saw his NIB FAV and read the nice story about how he grabbed one for $535, a price he believed to be very cheap since the other ones he had seen prior to that some months earlier in 2008 had been going for an average price of ~$1,100. Now I'm not sure that NIB FAVs have regularly gone for that monumental amount of money since whenever I have looked at them the average price has been $500 so it may have been the case that there was an abnormal spike in the market at that time.

The point I make though is that it was still worth him shelling out that money as there is currently a NIB FAV on ebay for $588 and even though the re-release is on the way I don't see the value of future NIB originals coming down from what the seller is asking for this one. There are simply not enough of them around anymore for the price to drop & this, allied with the fact that re-releases have not stopped many people from still wanting an original, means that if you have one in your collection then it's value will remain pretty firm.

The only possible exception to this rule may be the Scorcher. Before the re-release a NIB had an average value of ~$3000 whereas they now seem to command about half of that. It seems that if an original kit has always been valued at around the $600 mark (or less) then it's value is unaffected by the re-release version.

It seems that even the value of good built examples are not too damaged by re-releases. Look at what this FAV went for yesterday..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT ....and it's reasonable to assume that several of the bidders were TC members since the car was also advertised on TC trades.

It seems that even the value of good built examples are not too damaged by re-releases. Look at what this FAV went for yesterday..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT ....and it's reasonable to assume that several of the bidders were TC members since the car was also advertised on TC trades.

Don't forget though, not everyone that uses the mainsite uses the forums - half of TC could still be blissfully unaware of the FAV's impending resurrection (Easter related humor)

Don't forget though, not everyone that uses the mainsite uses the forums - half of TC could still be blissfully unaware of the FAV's impending resurrection (Easter related humor)

Very droll. :lol:

I guess you could be right. I suppose that illustrates the difference in how some members get their kicks from buying their models & actually building & running them and the others who buy them and just talk about it. :lol:

Makes me realise that I really need to get my butt into gear & get some of the built stuff into the showroom. :angry:

I wonder if Mark is going to buy a re-release FAV?

I just read this post from start to finish, what a rollercoster :) I've bin popping in on hotspots a few mins at a time, for the last month or so but missed this. Mr T seems to read my mind and give me just what I want next, two for me as well then to say thanks. Thanks for all the classic memories in the retro rundown in this tread as well. Cheers

Just to add something to the comments on the other (now locked) FAV thread regarding the value of original NIBs and built examples following the arrival of a re-release version....the vintage market prices now seem to be largely unaffected by re-re's. Infact the two now seem to successfully exist in tandem without treading on each other's toes whereas back in the early days when a re-release came out the values of the respective original did seem to suffer quite a bit.

This might have something to do with the fact that NIBs & new builts etc are even more scarce nowadays, hence the old "supply & demand" golden rule applying. However it could also be simply down to the possibility that many people still crave an original version, even if it is 95% identical to the re-release....and even if they actually own a re-release.

I was looking at Swarm's showroom the other day and saw his NIB FAV and read the nice story about how he grabbed one for $535, a price he believed to be very cheap since the other ones he had seen prior to that some months earlier in 2008 had been going for an average price of ~$1,100. Now I'm not sure that NIB FAVs have regularly gone for that monumental amount of money since whenever I have looked at them the average price has been $500 so it may have been the case that there was an abnormal spike in the market at that time.

The point I make though is that it was still worth him shelling out that money as there is currently a NIB FAV on ebay for $588 and even though the re-release is on the way I don't see the value of future NIB originals coming down from what the seller is asking for this one. There are simply not enough of them around anymore for the price to drop & this, allied with the fact that re-releases have not stopped many people from still wanting an original, means that if you have one in your collection then it's value will remain pretty firm.

The only possible exception to this rule may be the Scorcher. Before the re-release a NIB had an average value of ~$3000 whereas they now seem to command about half of that. It seems that if an original kit has always been valued at around the $600 mark (or less) then it's value is unaffected by the re-release version.

I certainly agree that there's lots of re-released models for sale at close to the original prices, but I'm really not convinced they sell anywhere near as quickly (or in many cases, at all). I fully believe there are some people who are prepared to pay the pre-re-release NIB prices - but I think the re-releases have cut the number of such people down by a factor of ~3. Firstly, there's the people to whom the re-release is just as good - many of these people used to bid as it was their only chance to get their dream NIB. Secondly, there are the people that do value the originality of the original release, but are now willing to pay a lot less to get it (as they've now got a re-re runner bashing around to take the edge of their desperation). So while there are definitely still "Loaded"s out there, finding one who wants to buy your particular kit at "full market value" is much harder.

And it might just be market seasonality at play, but I almost think the breadth of re-releases has started to drop people's willingness to spend even on models which haven't been re-released (whether it's the threat of possible re-release in the future, or just that the re-releases have recalibrated people's expectations). I've watched a spate of old 3-speeds being listed on eBay at 3-4k and I don't think I've seen any of them sell.

So what's happening? Is there a big Tamiya show tomorrow where it might get shown? Any insight into whether the chassis is original or a modified DT02?

cheers

James

I certainly agree that there's lots of re-released models for sale at close to the original prices, but I'm really not convinced they sell anywhere near as quickly (or in many cases, at all). I fully believe there are some people who are prepared to pay the pre-re-release NIB prices - but I think the re-releases have cut the number of such people down by a factor of ~3.

The main difference that I have noticed is that there are a lot less actual auctions for NIBs; most sellers stick the kit on a BIN at a high price and keep re-listing it until it either sells or they just take it down. That to me is a real shame because it is taking away the thrill and hope of getting an original at a fairly reasonable, albeit still high, price. Whenever I watch one of the few auctions for original NIBs they generally sell for about £150/£200 less than what the sellers ask for them on a BIN (note: I'm not including the 3 speeds here). There are more & more of what I consider to be greedy sellers about now, asking nearly £1K for stuff like a Hotshot 2 and refusing to offer it up on auction. That's a real shame as, for me, the average auction price reflects the true market price of a kit.

To add to the above, the number of people prepared to fork out for an original may well have dropped by a factor of 3, but the actual number of kits still out there has dropped by at least the same factor so it all balances out.

STOKED! :( I was very excited when they announced the re re of the Rough Rider, which turned out to be the "Buggy Champ" . For me personally, This baby ranks right up there... maybe even better.

This is another I always really wanted as a child, but never got to build. Who didn't love to play Army in the back yard as a kid? If as you grew, you progressed into R/C like me, the F.A.V. was absolutely drooled over.

Sounds like it will be a pretty true re re, maybe closer than any we have seen so far, as decal issues will not be present.

I have been busy with the prep already. Just got an Iwata brush, all the manual colours, and a heap of other hues, hoping to do a real nice desert theater camo job. Also dug up some very detailed scale weapons. An M16, a Colt 45 :( , some grenades, and other goodies, "TOP SECRET" ;) I hope I can add these to look as if Mr T has put them there. Also got put aside a new Endurance Black motor "Blue endbell" a Thorp balldiff, and a set of the unis brought out for the re re Frog that should slot in nicely. Think in a box here somewhere theres a few new pairs of Blaster Jr's too. ;)

When my interest was rekindled in Tamiya cars some years back, I found this site by googleing "Tamiya". Along with it, lots of helpful people, and lots of great reading. The first car I bought to get back in??? Thanks to a member in Canada if my memory serves me correctly... The Fast Attack Vehicle. Still got her here NIB.

If anyone inside that big factory with the two stars on it in Shizuoka is reading this... Thanks heaps to you all. Especially you Tamiya san. Keep em comin, and bring on the F.A.V. I'll definantly be buying 2. :)

I think that somewhere inside us all there is still that little soldier... OOHRAH

YO LEFT, YO LEFT, YO LEFT RIGHT LEFT!