TamiyaDan

Tamiya FAV re-release announced!(unsure)

That is fantastic! I often think that a 50mm cannon would be a useful addition for easing my tension whilst driving behind a caravan on a b-road!

C.T.A.A is availale as an option (Caravan Tactical Atomisation Amunition) :lol:

Too many options, right there. Front towers are not too had to find, I got mine form ebay quite easily. My basket case came with home made ones.

I'm thinking I'll leave the shocks silver, as I have the OP versions with the metal spacer instead of the red plastic kit versions, and throw on some of RC Channel's Rough Rider rims and paint it dark grey... Maybe do a Black Mesa or SWAT themed build.

That will come out great . SWAT THEMED :lol:

Tower Hobbies emailed me last night informing me that it's in stock.. Placed the order last night.. For $164.99 tower member super saver price B)

Now I'll have to hone my camouflage skills lol.

Officially a member of the FAV owners club. :)

DSC_0595.jpg

Stella came through marvellously once more. 3 day delivery, perfect packaging including masses of their own internal polystyrene & bubblewrap....and no duty to pay. :(

If your concerned or are put off buying one of these due to the new plastic colour shade of the re-release in comparison to the original then don't be. All I can say is that all of the photos that have been seen so far do not do justice to it in real life. It's not yellow/green or anything of the kind. It's very definitely brown in colour, but merely more of a caramel shade whereas the original is like a light chocolate colour. I'd say that when comparing both to the box art brown the re-re actually looks closer. Re-release part is on the right.

DSC_0334.jpg

This is the first new built example of the re-release that I have seen, and what a stunner it is too! Belong to anyone on here?

dsc04381_vector21ksm.jpg

dsc04398_vector21ksm.jpg

dsc04389_vector21ksm.jpg

Officially a member of the FAV owners club. :D

DSC_0595.jpg

Stella came through marvellously once more. 3 day delivery, perfect packaging including masses of their own internal polystyrene & bubblewrap....and no duty to pay. :unsure:

If your concerned or are put off buying one of these due to the new plastic colour shade of the re-release in comparison to the original then don't be. All I can say is that all of the photos that have been seen so far do not do justice to it in real life. It's not yellow/green or anything of the kind. It's very definitely brown in colour, but merely more of a caramel shade whereas the original is like a light chocolate colour. I'd say that when comparing both to the box art brown the re-re actually looks closer. Re-release part is on the right.

DSC_0334.jpg

Yes, you have described the color better than me wandy :). I would sai the left one is tan color / sand color and the right one like caramel shade

Congratulation to your FAV! :)

This is the first new built example of the re-release that I have seen, and what a stunner it is too! Belong to anyone on here?

dsc04381_vector21ksm.jpg

dsc04398_vector21ksm.jpg

dsc04389_vector21ksm.jpg

This one is very hot!! stunning!! :unsure:

Very nice kit Wandy , so are you going to paint it like the pic you have shown . Very nice spray job & detail on that .

I would have to say that does have to be one of the best FAV's i have seen with the detail . The more ya look

More detail there is . So M8 you have set your self a challenge :unsure: .

This one is very hot!! stunning!! :D

Wow, clearly a very creative mind made that work of art.. Impressive!

Very nice kit Wandy , so are you going to paint it like the pic you have shown . Very nice spray job & detail on that .

I would have to say that does have to be one of the best FAV's i have seen with the detail . The more ya look

More detail there is . So M8 you have set your self a challenge :D .

No chance of me even trying to do anything as exquisite as that! Infact I have even commissioned out the army paint job to a friend of mine who is an artist. I want mine looking as close as possible to TamOR's.

FAV6.jpg

FAV1.jpg

Don't blame ya Wandy , If i could get some one to paint mine & other cars i would .

Even that i do panel beat & spray cars , Not that i have done for some time now .

I just hate doing it now & even the R/C cars it's the very last thing i do . Some times it's months even years later .

So have you started yours yet in the build :D .

So have you started yours yet in the build :D .

Not yet. Need to list it in the showroom first and then finish one of my other builds. Once that is completed the FAV will be next. :rolleyes:

Hey Guys have not been on in a while.. So I just picked a FAV up at my local shop in LI... Willis hobbies just got them in on Friday for all that are interested and in NY.. Its in Mineola.. I would call first though.. Will save you on tower hobbies shipping too..

Not yet. Need to list it in the showroom first and then finish one of my other builds. Once that is completed the FAV will be next. :rolleyes:

OMG!!! :angry: How could you restrain your self :D WELL!

Received mine today.. noticed Tamiya included a set of decals to be used for camouflage.. why do they look so mirky and unclear?

I won't be using them, however I am pondering using the patterns as a mask to create the camouflage.. figure the work is already done...

Received mine today.. noticed Tamiya included a set of decals to be used for camouflage.. why do they look so mirky and unclear?

I won't be using them, however I am pondering using the patterns as a mask to create the camouflage.. figure the work is already done...

I have recently been building a Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger and spent some time on the Armour Modelllers forum (Armorama) where I have learnt a few tricks re 3-colour camo which should work exceptionally well on the FAV.

1stly don't even bother if you are trying to use spray-cans! My first attempt was with this method and whilst it looked good from a distance, the lack of control really showed up close up. If you have an airbush then it suddenly becomes 50x easier. If you do not have an airbrush then my advice is get one! It opens up a whole world of opportunities and is not at all hard to use. A decent one will cost about the same as the FAV but you will use it over and over again.

2ndly, get your hands on something called Silly Putty. It comes in little red eggs and is a bit like blu-tack but far more pliable. It is the best paint-masking system out there and makes replicating the flowing lines of a complex camo scheme really simple.

3rdly, the beauty with military stuff is that it is not meant to look shiny and perfect, so if at first you screw it up, just repaint the base coat and try again. Because the airbrush puts down the paint in really thin layers, you do not have to worry about stripping the paint and starting again.

4thly, mix you own paints. Try sticking some Field Grey in with a Tamiya Dark Green to get far more realistic toned greens. Tamiya Red Brown mixes well with a dash of Black to bring it down a notch. And Tamiya Dark Yellow goes well with White. Also mix a bit of your base coat (I would use the Dark Yellow / White) with your other colours (about 10%) before you spray them on and it unites all of the 3 colours.

5thly, spray a bit of Tamiya Buff from a distance over the model. It blends everything in very nicely and gives a slightly dusty / sandy appearance.

6thly and finally, have a go at a bit of weathering. There are products from Mig Productions such as "Grime", "Rust" and "Rain" which are ridiculously simple to use and bring a model to life.

I can honestly say that the FAV is probably the best model out there for learning new skills on. Most of us build immaculate shiny cars or trucks most of the time but the joys you will get from playing around a bit more on the finish are immense.

I am moving house right now but as soon as I am in, a FAV will be winging its way to me and I cannot wait to let rip and turn this great model into something awesome. My skills are not as good as TamORs yet, but you will be surprised how easy it is to get to 80-90% level very quickly. As they say though, it is always the final 10% that takes a lifetime to master!

PS, I do not work for an airbush company or for Mig, just a happy Tamiya builder who has discovered how much more fun these little things can give you ;)

I have recently been building a Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger and spent some time on the Armour Modelllers forum (Armorama) where I have learnt a few tricks re 3-colour camo which should work exceptionally well on the FAV.

1stly don't even bother if you are trying to use spray-cans! My first attempt was with this method and whilst it looked good from a distance, the lack of control really showed up close up. If you have an airbush then it suddenly becomes 50x easier. If you do not have an airbrush then my advice is get one! It opens up a whole world of opportunities and is not at all hard to use. A decent one will cost about the same as the FAV but you will use it over and over again.

2ndly, get your hands on something called Silly Putty. It comes in little red eggs and is a bit like blu-tack but far more pliable. It is the best paint-masking system out there and makes replicating the flowing lines of a complex camo scheme really simple.

3rdly, the beauty with military stuff is that it is not meant to look shiny and perfect, so if at first you screw it up, just repaint the base coat and try again. Because the airbrush puts down the paint in really thin layers, you do not have to worry about stripping the paint and starting again.

4thly, mix you own paints. Try sticking some Field Grey in with a Tamiya Dark Green to get far more realistic toned greens. Tamiya Red Brown mixes well with a dash of Black to bring it down a notch. And Tamiya Dark Yellow goes well with White. Also mix a bit of your base coat (I would use the Dark Yellow / White) with your other colours (about 10%) before you spray them on and it unites all of the 3 colours.

5thly, spray a bit of Tamiya Buff from a distance over the model. It blends everything in very nicely and gives a slightly dusty / sandy appearance.

6thly and finally, have a go at a bit of weathering. There are products from Mig Productions such as "Grime", "Rust" and "Rain" which are ridiculously simple to use and bring a model to life.

I can honestly say that the FAV is probably the best model out there for learning new skills on. Most of us build immaculate shiny cars or trucks most of the time but the joys you will get from playing around a bit more on the finish are immense.

I am moving house right now but as soon as I am in, a FAV will be winging its way to me and I cannot wait to let rip and turn this great model into something awesome. My skills are not as good as TamORs yet, but you will be surprised how easy it is to get to 80-90% level very quickly. As they say though, it is always the final 10% that takes a lifetime to master!

PS, I do not work for an airbush company or for Mig, just a happy Tamiya builder who has discovered how much more fun these little things can give you <_<

NJMLondon,

Thanks for your post. I actually do own an airbrush.. have the Paasche Millennium as well as the older external mixers.. and a drawer full of Tamiya paints (much of them military flats). My compressor is pretty old and occasionally but should be up to the job. What tip do you use? I own a #3 for the millennium.. Do you think I will need the #1 as well?

Thanks for the tips .. I definitely will give them a shot..

what's consensus re painting over screwheads & moving bits like suspension & drivetrain...?

dsc04381_vector21ksm.jpg

dsc04398_vector21ksm.jpg

dsc04389_vector21ksm.jpg

I intend to go for a orange & black theme when FAV's become available in the UK. I cant see mine being as detailed as the one above though, thats a really nice peice of work.

NJMLondon,

Thanks for your post. I actually do own an airbrush.. have the Paasche Millennium as well as the older external mixers.. and a drawer full of Tamiya paints (much of them military flats). My compressor is pretty old and occasionally but should be up to the job. What tip do you use? I own a #3 for the millennium.. Do you think I will need the #1 as well?

Thanks for the tips .. I definitely will give them a shot..

Hi Raman

I think I have the equivalent of a #2... not the smallest which is just too fine IMHO. You should be fine with a 3 though. Unless you are planning on doing tiny lines free-hand, you will always be using some sort of masking so as long as it your airbrush gives you the control to lay down nice thin layers of paint, it does not seem to matter how narrow the spray is. Remember, unlike with spray cans, the area you paint at any one time is actually quite small, ie you can paint just one side of the FAV in one go, so you do not need to mask everything at once. Just mask the side you are painting and then when that is done remove the mask and stick it on the next bit.

You can also get 2 different finishes really easily. If you want hard-edged camo, use the silly putty and press it tight into the model. If you want softer edged camo such as TamORs in the photo above, put a blob of the putty where you want to mask and then place a pre-cut piece of paper (I use post-it notes) in the shape of the camo over it so that the paper "hovers" over the area you want masked. Then paint away and when you remove the mask you will see that some of your paint has gently sprayed under the paper creating a soft blurring to the edges.

Either way, if you don't like the finish, just paint over it again. I believe there are parts of the Tiger which have 4 or 5 attepts on before I was happy, but you cannot see any of the mistakes because each paint layer is so thin. I think it is the ability to re-do things that has made the airbrush such a great tool. With spray cans, if I did not like the finish it usually meant hours of paint stripping and sanding before I could have another go.

Mine arrived today, and before the paint run to the shop tomorrow I am having the usual 2nd guessing of my choice in paint.

Looking at the driver's helmet made me have an obscure thought....

Chassis: White, with a red stripe down the side of the hood cover... Driver: Orange jump suit with white helmet with a red stripe and insignia.... You see where this is going?

Lukeyavin.jpg

good to see all the creativity going into these and ideas for builds. I as many other do think of an idea then see it appear on here before getting a chance to start or finish so here's mine to call dibbs :). i remember in a comic dc or marvel a add for delta force, back in '82-'83. i think it had a white fav with tan details like stripes n the bonnet/hood, rollcage. i'm going to have to see if i can find it again or do it from memory i think the uniform was white and tan too, any of you guys remember delta force? i don't remember if it was for a comic or tv show but the add was drawn i think but looked very cool to me at the time i think it had a scrambler and some other vehicle racing out of the page. i'm off on a web hunt for it now :)

I remember the movie with Chuck Norris.... Also, Marvel did the comic I think.