Sign in to follow this  
Chrisdude

Converting blitzer to blitzer beetle + hop up questions

I am slowly restoring/upgrading converting an old orignal stadium blitzer to a blitzer beetle and I have a few questions. First being what size bearings do I need (so I won't have to rely on just tamiya parts) and second what size wheels can I run to replace the stock trashed wheels and tires. (I'd like to run pro-line dirt hawgs) the Third question, for the front blitzer beetle body mount, it appears to differ where the body mount connects as opposed to the stock stadium blitzer part. Is there a fix for this so I don't have to buy the blitzer beetle part? Only other upgrades it currently has are an old trinity slot machine 2 motor (just added new brushes) and a novak rooster ESC. (hard to fit in there!) any other tips and hop-up advice welcomed. this is no racer, just a backyard basher. I want reliability not performance.

that brings up another question.. I've heard of people racing these, has anyone here actually done it and been competitive?

You can download the manuals for both models from the main Tamiya club website

Stadium Blitzer 58106, Blitzer Beetle 58122 http://www.tamiyaclub.com/cars.asp

The Beetle shell uses different front and rear body mounts to the Stadium Blitzer, so you'll need an N parts tree (N1 front mount, N2 & N3 rear mounts)

Given the price of the beetle shell, nose cone, q parts and window sections its not a particularly cheap conversion - in fact the cost of those parts plus the N parts tree is about half the price of a new re-re Stadium Blitzer kit !

You might want to think about an alternative aftermarket sheel, such as Proline or HPI - you may be able to use come alternative body mounts and save yourself a fair bit of money. Also look at Kamtec, they have a few Beetle shells for a lot less money.

Bearings - you need 12 1150 sized earings - rcbearings.co.uk are pretty cheap, and offer metal or rubber shielded.

Tyres - i've seen plenty of cars in the showroom section with other tyres, incl Proline dirt hawgs - the wheels of my resto project were almost perfect, so i got away with just some new rear tyres, opting for the Tamiya ones.

I dropped a modelsport RV12 ESC (small and waterproof) in mine with one of the enw Ansmann motors (cheap!) - a 17x2 Launcher. Seems plenty quick enough for bashing and makes nice doughnuts on the garage floor ! Its quite a thristy combo mind, i have to use better NiMH packs or Lipo packs to deliver enough juice to the motor.

just get the beetle mounts and use a lexan shell, you'll save $$ and have a better handling car without the extra weight of the hardbody.

they are raceable, but only in a vintage class. the bump steer issue keeps them from being competitive with modern trucks, not to mention limited gearing, no slipper, etc...

Mine was a barely used example when i stripped it and rebuilt - despite little use (the rear tyres perished long before they wore out) the front dampers were a bit saggy once the battery pack and shell were added. Some preload spacers sorted it out, and helped dial out some of the bump steer, at the expense of less suspension travel.

A great basher, but less accomplished as a racer - there are far better chassis for racing vintage class

Hello, There are turnbuckles and CVDs that you can add. There is a thread in rere discussions forum if you search for blitzer there you will see some information on these parts. The Tamiya ball bearings set for the TT-01 I believe includes 12 1150 bearings (plus four others of a different size) , I am using this pack to add Tamiya bearings to by Blitzer. There are many other sellers of third party bearings you can use who may be cheaper. Rich

I am currently in the process of doing this aswell. I already have a vintage restored stadium blitzer, but I picked up a couple of chassis's through my LHS and one of them was another stadium blitzer

so I decided to make this one into a blitzer beetle. I am nearly there, need a rear shock, decals and to paint it and dye the wheels. I had to buy the blitzer mounts too, not cheap either.

The DT-02 set are the ones to use as TA-Mark has found out ;)

Both of my blitzers are using 13 turn brushed on Lipo, my stadium has been using this for ages and used to have a 3300kv brushless in there without any CVD's.

Definitely get a 13 steel 32dp pinion and the 12x 1150 (5mm x 11mm x 4mm) bearings.

I agree with the other guys, I doubt they would be competitive with a gear diff and the bump steer, although you can modify both somewhat.