Sign in to follow this  
tonysmini

Clodbuster Behind The Axle Steering

Hi guys,

I've been messing around with my Clodzilla, and I suppose it was only a matter of time before I looked at the steering.

I tried the axle mounted steering servo, and whilst it's much better than the standard set up, there is still very restricted movement, and the Ackerman angles are so far out it's ridiculous.

So, if I wanted to fit a BTA steering set, which ones would you recommend, in terms of performance and reliability?

Hi guys,

I've been messing around with my Clodzilla, and I suppose it was only a matter of time before I looked at the steering.

I tried the axle mounted steering servo, and whilst it's much better than the standard set up, there is still very restricted movement, and the Ackerman angles are so far out it's ridiculous.

So, if I wanted to fit a BTA steering set, which ones would you recommend, in terms of performance and reliability?

When you fit the servo mount have you chopped the lugs off the axles? These are what restrict the amount of steering throw you get. I wouldn't worry too much about Ackerman. Clods dont really turn round corners anyway.. they bouce round them :)

i use crawford performance engineering (cpe) bta steering kit.

it works well, i bent it in a crash the other day and was able to bend it back without issue.

i still haven't cut the lugs off the axels yet, mainly due to the fact that i have enough power to kick the rear end out and slid it around turns.

I did cut off the lugs originally, then I fitted a set of GPM steering lugs, which gave me more swing, it's just watching it scrub the tyres when it turns.

I'll have a look at the CPE set up, thanks.

If you have the stock set up for the clodzilla you need to position on the links to make room for the bta

Fasa_00, thanks, I looked at that too. I may need to move the links for the rear axle to the servo saver mount to match the front too otherwise I may end up with the truck 'nose up'.

When is a Clod project ever finished, lol.

It seems my Titan 550's are a limiting factor, they get in the way of the servo savers on most of the BTA set ups.

Back to the drawing board I think, or maybe look at the Eliminator set up. Everything bar the steering arms is in front of the axle behind an alloy axle guard, but it steers properly.

Anyone got it fitted? Is it worth it?

I had an eliminator years ago, the only isue at the time was the lower link location; you need to use the lower half of the axle tube 'C', which means drilling holes in them - no biggie - they just go opposite the holes for the steel braces

See left wheel, lower link

CB08-5.jpg

The TTR one gets overlooked because it's not 'crawler friendly' (too much hardware in from of the axle) but it's been a perfectly good racing solution for years