MickRosco

Brat/Frog chassis upgrades.

Hello. Just posting this thread to see if anyone can give me any worth while upgrades for my Subaru Brat. (Same chassis as the Frog in case anyone is unsure.) I have already had to weld the front wheels back in. I shall post a list of things I think I need if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

1st and most important - The whole front end of this model is a little low grade in my opinion such as the front wheels coming out, the suspension is very soft compared to the rear oil filled shocks, the steering rods from the servo to the wheels are very susceptible to bending from small impacts and rolls. If anyone has any upgrade options for steering rods I would still like to be able to adjust the toe angle of the front wheels the same as you can do with the stock rods.

Secondly (not very important but a little agitating) is the uprights in which the front wheel's axles slot in to are very wobbly with the standard fixing method (2 screws lol) which I have noticed makes the front end even less stable than I think it should be.

If anyone can help me with any of these issues or indeed have any options they believe I need as well as any of those above please feel free to offer your guidance it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

-MickRosco

Mick.

Don't under estimate the Front end. In fact all it needs is a Damper. My Frog has 2 small ( very small dampers ) and works a treat. My Brat has a mono damper from Parma. Since grafted to my Boondal runner.

The rear shocks are more important. I have Schumacher med rear shocks with blue springs and it really transformed the rear grip to be so drivable. After a lot of testing with all the different shocks that are easy to get hold of the Yeah Racing ( e bay) 70mm with the supplied blue springs work just as good. Just drill the piston holes out to 1/16 and use 30wt oil. The best 15.00 spent.

Other Mods. A tamiya CVD rear axle set. The Hex drive hub conversion from tamiya so you can run decent 2.2 rear wheels. Than lastly work on the front shocks. Im still waiting for CRP to do some more front shock towers to mount proper shocks. You can make your own as well and match up some.

Frog2lowres.jpg

P2060025-1.jpg

Mick.

Don't under estimate the Front end. In fact all it needs is a Damper. My Frog has 2 small ( very small dampers ) and works a treat. My Brat has a mono damper from Parma. Since grafted to my Boondal runner.

The rear shocks are more important. I have Schumacher med rear shocks with blue springs and it really transformed the rear grip to be so drivable. After a lot of testing with all the different shocks that are easy to get hold of the Yeah Racing ( e bay) 70mm with the supplied blue springs work just as good. Just drill the piston holes out to 1/16 and use 30wt oil. The best 15.00 spent.

Other Mods. A tamiya CVD rear axle set. The Hex drive hub conversion from tamiya so you can run decent 2.2 rear wheels. Than lastly work on the front shocks. Im still waiting for CRP to do some more front shock towers to mount proper shocks. You can make your own as well and match up some.

Frog2lowres.jpg

P2060025-1.jpg

Very nice. I will look into some of these upgrades. I have built the Brat a little while ago and done just a quick job on the poly shell and sprayed it pink :lol:. It looks good to be honest but when I get round to upgrading it and painting the plastic shell I'll post up some pics for you.

Thanks for the tips

-MickRosco

Just started painting the lexan body in yellow and the bull bars in black. Started looking good!

Nice. Can't find any of these upgrades myself though. Where did you get hold of these?

i knew a guy that just had them.

ive seen these parts pop up on the bay.

I have the CRP front shock mounts (in red) with the hardware. Also a set of aftermarket 60mm shocks.

Let me know if you need them.

Shawn

I have the CRP front shock mounts (in red) with the hardware. Also a set of aftermarket 60mm shocks.

Let me know if you need them.

Shawn

Yes mate I do need them how much would you want for them?

Another thing does anyone know of a way I can put aftermarket wheels on the front?

Cheers

-MickRosco

My new steering rod. Made from 3mm threaded steel bar. No bending that stuff <_<.

post-35652-1304808926_thumb.jpg

post-35652-1304801452_thumb.jpg

Progress so far with my lexan body for the Brat. Looking OK I think.

post-35652-1304888172_thumb.jpg

M3 rod? - I'm afraid you wont have to try very hard to bend it :blink: here's my solution:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...65&id=24931

Ye that's very tough. Will probably do that when the M3 rod bends but at the minute I'm figuring out how to stop the front wheels dropping off. I can't seem to get cold weld to stand up to it. I'm thinking about drilling through the upright and tapping into the axle and screwing it on. Seen someone on here do it and it looks like a good way around it.

The main thing though I want to find out how I can put a different set of wheels on the front. I think I would have to change a bit of stuff on the front to get it done. Will all be worth it in the end.

Thanks

-MickRosco

I call it the Subaru BRAP LOL. Just need to figure out a way for the front wheels now.

post-35652-1304965890_thumb.jpg

You can still find a bunch of vintage hop up parts on Ebay at decent prices for the Frog/Brat etc.

There was a huge aftermarket following for this chassis back in the day, but unfortunately with the re-release there is little other than Ebay and Tamiya Hop ups or DIY mods.

Looks awesome.

Your parts went out this morning.

Enjoy.

Thanks alot mate.

Here's some pics of my upgraded Baja Frog.

Home built front shock tower & unknown dampers from the bay, CRP front bumper & heavy duty rear shock mounts, Yeah racing rear dampers with the softest spring set, .50 cal alloy rear arms & Super stock RZ with a steel pinion.

I moved the steering servo into a more central position & fitted some thicker steering rods. Also fitted the 12mm hex adaptors to alow a greater choice of wheels.

I'm going to have a go at making my own allot nerf bars & maybe rear cage, just to finish it off.

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

Here's some pics of my upgraded Baja Frog.

Home built front shock tower & unknown dampers from the bay, CRP front bumper & heavy duty rear shock mounts, Yeah racing rear dampers with the softest spring set, .50 cal alloy rear arms & Super stock RZ with a steel pinion.

I moved the steering servo into a more central position & fitted some thicker steering rods. Also fitted the 12mm hex adaptors to alow a greater choice of wheels.

I'm going to have a go at making my own allot nerf bars & maybe rear cage, just to finish it off.

That looks right good. I am going to stick the servo in the center as well because it is just such a stupid design being at the side like it is. I like your shock tower, I almost started building one but managed to get a hold of some CRP shock towers (thanks shwng1973 :lol:). Good luck with the nerf bars and post up some pics when it's done.

Cheers

-mickrosco

Thanks. I have some time off work next week. I'll probably tackle the nerf bars then, I'll get some pics up of the results.