Sign in to follow this  
MickRosco

Need help choosing a new buggy.

Hello people,

Just about finished my Brat build and need something to follow up on it at some point and I was thinking a buggy would be great. Anyone have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

-MickRosco

What type of buggy?

Vintage, Re-Re, Modern, 2wd, 4wd?

What is your budget?

Modern buggy? You just know I'm going to recommend a DB01.

- James

+1

Love mine.

What type of buggy?

Vintage, Re-Re, Modern, 2wd, 4wd?

What is your budget?

4WD preferably. Around £200 but that's not a budget as such just a forecast lol.

Modern buggy? You just know I'm going to recommend a DB01.

- James

Ye the DB's do look very tempting.

4WD preferably. Around £200 but that's not a budget as such just a forecast lol.

If you prefer 4WD then I agree on the DB01 :blink: Or a second hand TRF501X (but that's only if you're running on (clean) tracks).

However, if you didn't mention the preference between 2WD or 4WD, I would've recommended a Dyna Storm and/or TRF201 without a doubt :lol: The Dyna being the relatively speaking fragile beauty, it needs regular care and checking to keep it in good condition, and the TRF201 being the car that can be thrashed more without any concerns with parts availability, but with the disadvantage of being a little much plastic compared to other TRFs and of course the Dyna Storm.

If you prefer 4WD then I agree on the DB01 :blink: Or a second hand TRF501X (but that's only if you're running on (clean) tracks).

However, if you didn't mention the preference between 2WD or 4WD, I would've recommended a Dyna Storm and/or TRF201 without a doubt :lol: The Dyna being the relatively speaking fragile beauty, it needs regular care and checking to keep it in good condition, and the TRF201 being the car that can be thrashed more without any concerns with parts availability, but with the disadvantage of being a little much plastic compared to other TRFs and of course the Dyna Storm.

Oh OK I'll have a look at some of them then. Ye I saw an old Kyosho can't remember which one running the other day and it looked a right good laugh. But I am a Tamiya fan and obviously would want a Tamiya buggy.

Oh OK I'll have a look at some of them then. Ye I saw an old Kyosho can't remember which one running the other day and it looked a right good laugh. But I am a Tamiya fan and obviously would want a Tamiya buggy.

Kyosho Ultima DB ?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-ultima-...-products/36752

Right on budget, all depends whether you need all the RTR gear and want ready built or a kit.

Budget belt drive: Tamiya DB-01. Budget shaft drive: HPI Cyber 10b

I replaced my DF03's with Cybers and have not looked back. Strong buggy that performs well and can handle some serious brushless power (MambaMax 5700Kv on Li-Po in one of mine).

+1 DB-01 for modern kit.

Hotshot or Boomerang for vintage-appeal light/moderate runners. I wouldn't flog the Molly out of either of these as your wallet won't thank you.

How much is a DB-01R over there?

The standard DB-01R kit is better/cheaper than hopping up a standard DB-01, as it has all the good bits already.

DB-01 for sure :lol:

Sorry I have one and love it but I would have spent a bit more to get a DB-01R as it is cheaper that way than the standard DBV-01 and hop-ups.

Anyone know what these Kyosho DB's are like? They look quite sick actually from what I have been seeing. Bigger machine as well which could be something new.

Poor!

Imagine a SC truck without all of the advantages of scale and strength and you have these.. PANTS!

I would also recommend a DB01 awesome buggy, or if you want a basher get a slash.. just the best RC basher thats ever been built and a classic RC car.

Ive had loads of fun with my Tamiya Baja King which uses the TL-01B chassis. 4x4 shaft drive, low n wide with a decent amount of ride height and comes with pin tyre that stick to everything, giving an insane amount of grip. I've treated mine pretty rough and it still refuses to break. Lots of fun for little money.

Poor!

Imagine a SC truck without all of the advantages of scale and strength and you have these.. PANTS!

Which is odd, because those are the main selling points. It's an up-sized 1/10 just like the SC trucks and it's supposed to be bulletproof. Did you have one that broke easily?

Which is odd, because those are the main selling points. It's an up-sized 1/10 just like the SC trucks and it's supposed to be bulletproof. Did you have one that broke easily?

The arms seem to throw wheels off even without hits. Its looks poor as well, not scale. I dont have one, my mate had one and soon sold it and got a slash..

Ive had loads of fun with my Tamiya Baja King which uses the TL-01B chassis. 4x4 shaft drive, low n wide with a decent amount of ride height and comes with pin tyre that stick to everything, giving an insane amount of grip. I've treated mine pretty rough and it still refuses to break. Lots of fun for little money.

Ye I was looking at the TL-01B a few months ago. Looks quite good but the DB looks sick. So does the Kyosho but only problem is it's RTR so. Maybe I might get a second hand non-runner and restore it. Hmmm who knows yet.

Ye I was looking at the TL-01B a few months ago. Looks quite good but the DB looks sick. So does the Kyosho but only problem is it's RTR so. Maybe I might get a second hand non-runner and restore it. Hmmm who knows yet.

The TL01B is Tamiya's most basic, beginner offroad buggy directly derived from their beginner TL01 touring car. Long arm, big wheel touring car with a buggy body. They have the same gear ratios as the touring car, which moves the ratio the wrong way once buggy wheels are fitted and you want to fit a hotter motor. The suspension mounts directly to the chassis, and has a bad habit of tearing off the top shock mounts (buy new chassis halves to repair). The shock mount points do not offer a full range of travel no matter what shock you fit in there, so the shock bottoms out before the chassis does (this is what tears off the top mount points). The front end has no caster so they understeer badly offroad. The TL01 tourer has been replaced by the TT01 as the beginner touring car, so parts are getting harder to find for the discontinued TL01 chassis.

To put the Tamiya shaft drive buggys in order from best to worst it goes like this (I own and have thrashed the pants off all four):

1. TRF502 (competition buggy - exposed pinion/spur gears)

2. DF01 (needs a few hopups for stregth, but once fitted it's tops).

3. DF02 (plastic dogbones and driveline - can be upgraded to steel).

4. DF03 (great buggy except for one aluminium gear on the mainshaft that is very hard to find a steel gear mainshaft replacement).

5. TL01B (problems described above).

I know there are a lot of TL01B fans on the forum. I'm not saying it's a bad kit, as it has that Tamiya build quality you expect, and it will perform well if kept within it's meagre limits, but it still is the worst modern 4WD buggy Tamiya has released.

I would have gone for the TRF502 if it had not been for the exposed gears. Instead I'm running the HPI Cyber's now, which are the same layout as the TRF502 but have covers over the pinion and spur gear to keep the rocks out. I still do run the semi-retired DF01 buggy at times. I let the kids use the DF02s and the TL01B, and my last remaining DF03 is a shelf ornament.

Well I guess Im not trying hard enough to break my TB-01B then because I havent suffered any of the negative points TA-Mark mentioned. It must be its meagre handling that saves it (or my good driving :lol: ) . Arnt the shocks suppose to bottom out first so they stop the chassis hitting the ground?

Hang on, I've got a TB-01 tourer as well... I feel so inadequate :lol:

Well I guess Im not trying hard enough to break my TB-01B then because I havent suffered any of the negative points TA-Mark mentioned. It must be its meagre handling that saves it (or my good driving :lol: ) .

Hang on, I've got a TB-01 tourer as well... I feel so inadequate :lol:

TB-01B? Typo? I'm sure you mean TL01b.

The DF02 buggy is similar in design to a TB01 tourer (and similar ground clearence too :lol: ). TB01 makes a good rally car.

Arnt the shocks suppose to bottom out first so they stop the chassis hitting the ground?

No, the chassis should bottom out before the shocks do (I say shocks, and not dampers because the TL01b has pogo stick springs standard and not oil dampers). The shocks bottoming out first will snap the towers off any chassis. I've seen people add 'stoppers' to their DF02 and DF03 dampers to prevent the chassis bottoming out, and it's not long before they have snapped a tower from landing big jumps.

I haven't broken my TL01b either, but then mine only has a 27T Dirt Tuned motor and TEU101-BK ESC running on 1800mAh Ni-Cds, and I don't do crazy jumps with it either. I also have custom aluminium damper towers on it with DF03 sized CVA oil dampers.

Yeah that was my bad typing. Thanks for the advice on the shocks TA-Mark. I'd always assumed it was better not to ground the chassis but what you say makes a lot of sence, better to have a few scrapes on the underbelly than a snapped tower. Gonna have to check my TL01B over and see if the CVA's I fitted stop it bottoming out. I think they do so I'll give the shock mounts a close inspection for damage.

This forum is great for advice like this.