Hi peeps!! I'm a total Lipo newbie, so after some advice. I am running a 5.5 T 3650-6000KV EZRUN setup and currently using some Intellect 3600 nimh packs. What sort of Lipos should be looking at? Cheers, Dan.

A 20C or higher 3200mAh 7.4v hard case Li-Po would do the trick.

Aim for a 'C' rating multipied by the capacity (in Amps) which is a higher rating than your ESC can handle. 25C x 4Amp (4000mAh IP4000 pack) is 100Amp constant discharge rate, which is more than a 60Amp EZ-Run ESC. Or 20C x 3.2Amp (3200mAh Yeah Racing round edge pack) is 64Amp constant, which would also be suitable for a 60Amp EZ-Run ESC.

Be sure to fit some high voltage plugs too. The 7.5Amp Tamiya plugs cause a nasty bottleneck when the motor is trying to draw more current than the plug can handle.

A 20C or higher 3200mAh 7.4v hard case Li-Po would do the trick.

Aim for a 'C' rating multipied by the capacity (in Amps) which is a higher rating than your ESC can handle. 25C x 4Amp (4000mAh IP4000 pack) is 100Amp constant discharge rate, which is more than a 60Amp EZ-Run ESC. Or 20C x 3.2Amp (3200mAh Yeah Racing round edge pack) is 64Amp constant, which would also be suitable for a 60Amp EZ-Run ESC.

Be sure to fit some high voltage plugs too. The 7.5Amp Tamiya plugs cause a nasty bottleneck when the motor is trying to draw more current than the plug can handle.

Thanks for the info. So it has to be 3200 mAH? Or can be higher?

Cheers, Dan.

Thanks for the info. So it has to be 3200 mAH? Or can be higher? These not any good? Link Removed Would that even fit without the round edges? Or this? Link Removed

Cheers, Dan.

3000mAh 20C constant is the minimum you should use with the 60Amp brushless ESC. 3800mAh 25C is a higher discharge rate (3.8Amp x 25C = 95Amps). 3600mAh 20C is 72 Amps (The Yeah Racing square pack you linked). Higher discharge rate is fine. Lower will overload the pack causing it to get hot and swell (Example is trying to use a small TamTech sized pack with a high powered brushless 540).

Whether square packs will fit depends on the chassis. The round edge packs are the same shape as a regular Ni-MH stick pack, just 3mm longer, so will fit in chassis that are made only for round edge packs.

P.S. You need to check the forum rules about posting live ebay links.

3000mAh 20C constant is the minimum you should use with the 60Amp brushless ESC. 3800mAh 25C is a higher discharge rate (3.8Amp x 25C = 95Amps). 3600mAh 20C is 72 Amps (The Yeah Racing square pack you linked). Higher discharge rate is fine. Lower will overload the pack causing it to get hot and swell (Example is trying to use a small TamTech sized pack with a high powered brushless 540).

Whether square packs will fit depends on the chassis. The round edge packs are the same shape as a regular Ni-MH stick pack, just 3mm longer, so will fit in chassis that are made only for round edge packs.

P.S. You need to check the forum rules about posting live ebay links.

Ok.. Jesus I am confused. :D

I tried to search for the yeah racing packs you mentioned but no luck.. will edit my post and remove the links to ebay.

Ok.. Jesus I am confused. :D

You need a battery that can supply a constant 60Amp (or more) current as the ESC is 60Amp.

The maths for working out the discharge current is: Capacity (in Amps) x the 'C' rating = the constant discharge current. Example: 3800mAh (3.8Amp) x 25C = (3.8 x 25 = 95) = 95 Amps constant current.

It's the same formula no matter what brand the Li-Po pack is. The battery must have a higher output than the ESC is rated for so the battery will not be damaged.

I tried to search for the yeah racing packs you mentioned but no luck.. will edit my post and remove the links to ebay.

Searching ebay for lipo round will find matches. Not many on offer at the moment. I see the IP4000 packs that I use (4Amp x 25C = 100Amp), and I see the HPI Plazma 4000mAh packs (4Amp x 20C = 80Amp). The HPI Plazma packs already have the needed high voltage plug fitted.

Although there is some sense in TA-Marks calculations, in real life they aren't necessary. You are very unlikely to draw a constant 60A through your ESC in normal running.

C ratings generally massively inflated as a marketing tool.

Put your money into a pack that has good customer support and trusted reviews. I have Intellect packs in my cars and they have been fine.

HPI Plazma 4000mAh packs (4Amp x 20C = 80Amp). The HPI Plazma packs already have the needed high voltage plug fitted.

Now we talking.. Thanks again Mark.

Although there is some sense in TA-Marks calculations, in real life they aren't necessary. You are very unlikely to draw a constant 60A through your ESC in normal running.

C ratings generally massively inflated as a marketing tool.

Put your money into a pack that has good customer support and trusted reviews. I have Intellect packs in my cars and they have been fine.

Through practical experience I would have to dispute this.

I am running the 5.5T/60A EzRun in my B44. Using an 4200 30C saddle pack, the battery heated up more than I would have liked. A 5000 45C pack get's warm, but is at about what I would expect with a motor temp of 160F and ESC at 135F. This, of course, is dependent on the usage of the toy car.

The ESC 60A rating is the constant current, the thing is rated to burst up to 380A, although I'll be the first to admit the 5.5T/60A is overkill for a 1/10 4wd buggy and the 35A ESC with a 180A burst rating on a 9T/4300kV, which is what I am running in my upgraded DB01, is just as fast after you get everything geared correctly.