Sign in to follow this  
Bag Of Badgers

Fake Oakleys

Hiya all.

I need some help. I managed to drop and damage my Oakley Square Whisker Ducati glasses 24-197. They are really damaged beyond repair in my eyes, fame scratched and so are the lenses. So I had a look around on the Bay and found pair that were described as the same, minus the Cat No. Paid my moneys and they turned up in the post today. This is where the trouble begins they are not like my original pair. The problems are as follows:-

Different frame colour

Different lens colour

Incorrect style of etching on lens (should have an etched Ducati logo, the new pair are cut logo)

Incorrect motion of arms

They are marked 21-196, the wrong number and that number refers to a plastic frame and not the metal frame of my originals.

I think they are fakes (well I know they are!)

Now for some good news, I think? I bought them as a “Buy it now” so that means I can return them within 7 days, is this right? If this is correct should I return them as “I’ve changed my mind” and just leave a message in the same light, or should I put that as “Item wasn’t as I expected” and list the reasons as above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I have been stung on the bay, guess I have been lucky.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

If your in the US, first thing I'd do is contact Oakley to confirm their knockoffs, then message the seller and tell him they are knockoffs and you want a refund and will send them back. Otherwise start a claim with PayPal, which hopefully you used.

Oakley may also want to know the sellers name, they seem to take knock offs seriously.

Thanks for the advice. I’m in the UK. Going to speak to Oakley tomorrow, they have a repair service so might be able to get new lenses; they might even be able to do something with frames, here’s hoping. Will let them know about the fakes, see what they want me to do.

I did use PayPal, but it seems I am able to return them under the 7 day return policy for Distant Selling. Will report back on what happens.

ATB Matt.

Ah, sorry mate, yeah PayPal probably has different restrictions outside of the US.

Did you look at the Oakley US site, maybe they are a special edition, otherwise I'd tell the seller they look like fakes, and ask for some proof of being genuine. Tell him you feel jipped and want to return them, or at least a partial refund. How much did you pay for them, have a link to the listing?

Your old ones, are they plastic or metal?

Update for today.

Spoke to Oakley, they can repair and replace the damage, the frames are metal and have asked me to notify the legal department about the fakes. Told me tell the vendor that the glasses are not as discribed and to ask for my money back. Here's hoping it gets sorted.

Hi Matt. Hope you get things sorted soon. Could be worse.... I got mine from a looky looky man last time I went to Tenerife ;)

Actually, I have to call you lucky. I was looking for a set of Frogskins but didn't want to spend $120+, I was looking for fakes and couldn't find them!

;)

Good luck with getting it sorted mate.

Is against Ebay policy to sell any fake stuff. If you beleive is a fake, you need a letter either from official Oakley representative or Oakleys company itself to support your findings. Is best to include in the letter photos of a side by side comparision between a real pair vs the new pair when you think is fake.

Before you go to all the trouble, see if the seller is willing to refund you, unless the seller is sure his Oakley is the real thing.

A friend bought a set of tennis racket, which he sense were fakes and brought to his local authorized racket shop to do a comparison of the real and fake with photo to support. Ebay refunded all the money and closed the seller account.

Ok, today’s update.

Oakley has asked me to forward all details of the seller to their legal department, which I am doing. They are going to notify Ebay of their findings. They have asked for my original pair for repair, they carry stock of the Ducati lenses and frames. So here hoping that it will not be too much of a sting, they quote an RRP of £200 for the original pair, GULP!!!

Now for the seller, they have accepted my request for a return and refund but suggested that they are an official Asian model (they are not!) and would I like to reconsider, funnily enough I have declined. So they will be winging their way back to them by recorded delivery.

Knock offs are official Asian models!

Sounds like its all sorted, glad to hear! Hopefully Oakley doesn't stick it to you for helping them out.

When a pair of sun glasses go for over $300.00, with the cost to make is like $5.00 (maybe a few dollars more) there is $295.00 incentive to make knock offs.

I was in China recently and bought such a pair for $5.00. They were real polarized lens not just some darken lens where your eyes can be damaged. How can I tell? I put two lens together at 90 degrees and looked through them.

Sure the quality is not like brand name nor will they likely stop a bullet or IEDs, but for general wear, why pay even $200.00 when I can get it for $5.00. I won't worry about loosing them or if they break or stolen. They were no brand, but looks just as good.

I wonder how much Oakleys is charging the US army for supplying them to the troops.

I know what you are saying, you made a choice to buy what you needed because of the requirements you needed. I bought mine because of my requirements and I need all the help I can to look human, hehehehe!

When it comes to fakes and knock off I get a little concerned, not just because of quality issues but also where the funds from the sale go.

Let me give you an example then you might understand where I am coming from. I work within the orthopaedics industry; parts that we use are health critical, they are implanted. A substandard implant would be a massive risk, the trauma of the first operation and then a revision to correct the damage and pain, the risk of complications, etc, etc. I know it’s an extreme example but it is becoming a bigger issue across many industries, fake aircraft parts, car parts. My industry and others are very keen to stamp this out, not only is a safety/health issue but it affects their ability to re-invest in to new developments (as well as hitting the bottom line, the end of the day we all need money but that’s for another day).

Anyway, today’s update.

Royal Mail just returned the eBay glasses, the vendor gave us an undeliverable address, so pointed that out to them and awaiting their response, again. Have told eBay that they are fakes and what is going on and they are investigating. Oakley are processing all the info I supplied and I am awaiting the quote on the repair, so it’s just a waiting game. Ho Hum

ATB Matt

On a cruise down to Mexico, guys were trying to sell me "oakley" sunglasses when I got off the boat at one of the ports. I had on a pair of Gas Cans at the time, which was actually what they were trying to sell me. Comparing the real and the fake side by side was hilarious. They were only asking $2 for them and I still wouldn't buy them because of how terrible they were. colors, materials, textures, logos, hinge operation, etc. were all waaaaaaay off. Plus, I've worked with Oakley on car projects and wouldn't do that to them! They've been go to me in the past.

Is against Ebay policy to sell any fake stuff. If you beleive is a fake, you need a letter either from official Oakley representative or Oakleys company itself to support your findings. Is best to include in the letter photos of a side by side comparision between a real pair vs the new pair when you think is fake.

Before you go to all the trouble, see if the seller is willing to refund you, unless the seller is sure his Oakley is the real thing.

A friend bought a set of tennis racket, which he sense were fakes and brought to his local authorized racket shop to do a comparison of the real and fake with photo to support. Ebay refunded all the money and closed the seller account.

:D just about anything made in china and on ebay is a copy .... !