Sign in to follow this  
fazzapat

Grasshopper II - Bringing it up to date

Mr. Crispy,

Yes please, I'd also like to see some detailed shots of the third shock mod for the Ghopper2! :)

Cheers

No worries pikachoo. Thanks for noticing and updating. Good to know I'm ready for the fronts.

I've had the gh2 since I was like 8 as my first sub 2 mile an hour car, so was new in box with a 380. We then fitted a silver 540 a few years later when I had tamed the beast. And the resultant scuffs on the body are from rolling it with that. But only when hitting stones or similar to unsettle it, and thankfully never done any real damage to the car.

My latest mods and motor are just to add some newer tech with a bit more speed (I'm a man afterall), so that's why I'm stressing so much about getting the suspension right so I give it the best chance of survival with the new lease of life. It's more nostalgia than a car I will use all the time so am going to treat it with a bit more respect anyway.

So I won my rear shocks last night. Traxxas slash front shocks apparently a straight swap out (longer screws needed), so my final mods now are front shocks, wheels, tyres, and probably the third shock.

Will be running it this weekend with bearings for the first time (copper pipe removed) so wish me luck! Whoop

Fazzapat,i must appologise...i think i read a post regarding a Grasshopper 1 then replied to your post about a GH2!must have been late at night! ;)

everything i mentioned is still ok,but your GH2 comes as standard with the Rising Fighter front arms so no need to buy anymore!...but knowing they are the same is handy if you ever have to replace them.

the front arms you have right now lend themselves to the exact same set up as the Rising fighter front suspension,so if you download the Rising Fighter manual from Tamiyausa you can see the bits and bobs needed to fit oil shocks at the front instead of the friction ones.

incidently judging by your photos,did your GH2 come with the 380 motor fitted? the reason i ask is once i fitted a 540 the front cockpit pillars were the first thing to get bust during a roll over.the 380 wasnt fast enough to roll it!(but it was the first r/c car i had ever seen so it seemed rapid to me at the time!)

No worries pikachoo. Thanks for noticing and updating. Good to know I'm ready for the fronts.

I've had the gh2 since I was like 8 as my first sub 2 mile an hour car, so was new in box with a 380. We then fitted a silver 540 a few years later when I had tamed the beast. And the resultant scuffs on the body are from rolling it with that. But only when hitting stones or similar to unsettle it, and thankfully never done any real damage to the car.

My latest mods and motor are just to add some newer tech with a bit more speed (I'm a man afterall), so that's why I'm stressing so much about getting the suspension right so I give it the best chance of survival with the new lease of life. It's more nostalgia than a car I will use all the time so am going to treat it with a bit more respect anyway.

So I won my rear shocks last night. Traxxas slash front shocks apparently a straight swap out (longer screws needed), so my final mods now are front shocks, wheels, tyres, and probably the third shock.

Will be running it this weekend with bearings for the first time (copper pipe removed) so wish me luck! Whoop

Not sure I meant sub 2 MPH..... Over 2 MPH (But only just) is more like it for the 380 ;)

I've been very reluctant to upgrade from the 380's I have in both my Grasshopper and Holiday Buggy 2010 but just like Jeremy Clarkson "MORE POWER" wins the day and I've ordered a couple of tamiya RS540's... god help the body work, it was nice knowing you ;) Im due to meet up with my brother this Saturday at Boxhill and give both of them a good last run on the 380's so fingers crossed.

I'll get some better pics of my 3rd shock build later and post them up. Its easier to show pics than try to explain the thing. Im sure it'll be pretty clear to follow guys.

I have an old Super G Grasshopper II that came with the good yellow CVAs, bearings + 540 silver can. Not surprisingly the body was hammered and the front pillars were broken. I cleaned it up and re-greased everything, made a repair to the pillars with bits from the parts sprue and shoe-goo.

First run it flipped over and broke the body somewhere else. More shoe-goo. Eventually it ended up looking like I'd taken an angle grinder to it, and there is more shoe-goo than plastic, but it still runs. We won't say much more about the body, other than I've considered the use of zip-tie stitches, and pieces of soda can riveted on to patch some of the larger cracks. It may end up looking like Frankenstein soon, at which point I've vowed to find or make a Frankenstein driver figure and change the name on the cockpit sticker to "Frank N. Stein".

That is after about 2 years of running. I've broken the front A-arms, and bent the steering links, broke the steering servo and one chassis, plus several sets of tires and wheels. Those goofy little springs broke before I got it, and I replaced them once. They promptly broke again even though I was careful not to pinch or bind them. (Looks like they fatigued at a point just short of the metal shaft outside the side plates....)

All things considered, it has been a fun car, but keeping it rubber side down is a real challenge. Mostly it seems to get harmed during these spectacular, end over end, corkscrew types of high-speed crashes that are a complete mystery to me. I saw it one time hit a rock and launch like it was catapulted into the air - and broke naturally. From there it was quite a show and now I know that if it lands on that springy front bumper it really has quite a bounce. Usually it breaks, when this happens, but I rarely figure out what caused it to just go ballistic in the first place. We're not talking about garden variety tip-overs either. Those just happen.

When it just tips over from cornering or such it gets road-rashed but doesn't break. Sure, it gets uglier, but it ain't no beauty queen anyway. It just makes me crazy when for no identifiable reason it just launches into a yard-sale crash and breaks. I'm always wondering what I did wrong, but with this buggy I just put it down to sadness and depression. I figure the buggy has had a hard life and just gets down once in awhile and tries to commit suicide. There doesn't seem to be any other explanation. Other than perhaps, just a really crummy design, but that begs the question, why doesn't it always do it?? Unlike the Hornet, which is just about impossible to keep right side up, this buggy can SEEM to be very stable for short periods of time, before suddenly skittering down the street on its roof.

Like I said, I think the buggy suffers from depression. I try to help it out by giving it lots of fresh air, access to dirt and grass, and regular exercise. What else can I do? ;)

• Like 1

I dont know about depression Taliesin but that car is definitly female! ;)

Its got all the signs fella. Things are running along fine and dandy when all of a sudden it flips out for no reason and sulks, blaming you for everything... and you're left without a clue as to what you did or how it happened? You have a female car mate. Buy it some chocolate and watch a mushy film with it, something staring Colin Firth or Huge Grant.

And for god sake dont try to sneak a little internet browsing during the movie... you have been warned! ;)

Nic

• Like 1

;)

Taliesin!

my GH2 was a regular version with spring shocks and 380.it was cool.

but then....i got a 540 simply regular silvercan,fitted with what i now know were Wild One rear wheels and tyres,and ran it first on loose gravel/grit and dirt.

mad rooster tails and skipping was fantasticly entertaining...but then the phenome i think you experienced...i reckon now it was due to the MASSIVE diff.

the diff would love to power ONE wheel at insane rpm (always the one with no grip) and i reckon that once it starts spining the inertia even when on the move causes the other wheel to spin in reverse...usually catching violently!..end result= A over T or 90 degree violent launch and ,as you mentioned ,if it comes down on the bumper loop bit.then it catapults into more bashes off the ground.

of course being a kid i had no idea what was happening...so i also used to drive it on the road...where it got steadily smashed to smithereens...rapid insane straight line speed...random diff launch!

oh nearly forgot..my Dad is an engineer so it was fitted with ballbearings from day one.(he ordered them from his work that dealt with making lathes etc) so the gearbox was as smooth as you like.i think thats why i prefered the GH1 rear suspenion nowadays,the gearbox cant "lean" so it MAY limit the ability to spin a light wheel whilst on the move?

3rd shock mod is typed up here. Thought it would be best to make its own thread so people can find it again if they want to try the build.

God that was an effort to type up :blink:

Pikachoo - that makes a lot of sence and is something I've noticed (to a much lesser extent) with a 380 motor fitted. Explains a lot.

I liken my car to an energetic kid rather than a manic depressive suicidal Rom-com watching chocolate scoffing chick. You tell it not to do things, and most of the time it's listens, but every now and again it tries it, only to end up with a grazed knee or lumpy head. Thankfully it's never had any broken bones or needed any stitches, but you know it's just a matter of time :blink:

Crispy. The 540's will be fine. It will make a massive difference, and the car handles it as long as you remember you need to drive it like it's a mad man. Ease off for corners, and the slightest touch of brake at top speed will spin the car 180 :lol: not sure what other cars you have, but I can thrash the life out of my nitro truggy, and it's uber stable, or worst case as I've found out, parts are very easy to come by. That way i get my speed fix from that, and can then just drive the grasshopper for smiles. Not to say I drive it slow, but I won't try crazy jumps or offroading. Plus am hoping the mods I complete on the suspension will help it out a bit.

Seems my model shop will be able to help me with all the necessary fixtures and fittings I need for both the front and rear shocks and the third shock, so I an edging closer to a finished article. Just wheels and tyres to get to the bottom of now.

And just about to read the third shock post to get my head around it once and for all

Thanks for all the help and comments thus far guys. This is a great first post for me :)

• Like 1

So another couple of updates for the project..... I have changed my mind at keeping it looking as original as possible, so this means a couple of more mods are on the cards.

Still waiting on rear shocks, and when they arrive I am going to have a go at the third shock mod as mr Crispy has so brilliantly typed up and linked earlier in this thread.

Wheels, tyres and adapters ordered. I really wanted to keep the original rims, but it was impossible to find tyres to fit, so have found (I hope) that this set will work with the adapter kit.

tyres - http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Carson-2WD-Al...k-p/c900027.htm (only place I found these in stock, and can get them in silver)

adapter - http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Tamiya-Frog-A...r-p/ta53913.htm (I got this about £4 cheaper from ebay)

I have also hopefully found some front shocks that will work, but could do with some feedback from you guys before I make the plunge....

I looked into the super hornet shocks, and apparently they used mini cva shocks at a length of 63MM...... as a result, I have been searching for 63MM shocks (people have been advising against CVA) and came up with kyosho mini inferno front shocks:

Mini CVA - http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/t...-shock-unit-ii/

Mini inferno fronts - http://www.rceasyshop.com/index.php?main_p...714f7bff04d0042

However when I look at the measurements on the GH2 - the fronts are 75MM eye to screw.... will the modification kit (couple of small brackets) account for 12 MM so the 63's will work, or should I be fitting the 75's and compressing them to fit with the adapter kit? Hope that makes sense - probably not! Actually, if any of you guys have a GH2 or a Super G with oil filled fronts, could you measure them eye to eye and send a picture in of the attachments? That way I will be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Anyways, had it running at the weekend against a friends Ansmann XT pro with 21T motor..... I struggled to get the power down, so accelearation was miles away, but then top speed was pretty similar.... things are looking good for the old toy after all :blink:

I would be glad to measure the stock yellow CVAs for you when I can get to my Ghppr2 this weekend.

I have done a little mod on my Grasshopper/Hornet chassis...

Added a few front and rear damper, you can check out the WIP built log here

Hornet mod build log

Cheers

I would be glad to measure the stock yellow CVAs for you when I can get to my Ghppr2 this weekend.

The fronts (original yellow CVAs for the Super G) measure 70mm top to bottom, and the rears are 90mm.

Sorry it took so long, but the Hopper was in one place and I was in another. :lol:

If you need anything else or need pictures or such please give a shout - I'm always happy to help out.

Thanks for the info. I can now do some shopping for the fronts :)

So my rears arrived. And the slash front shocks are the perfect size and a dramatic improvement on the originals. I just need to find some screws to fit them now :)

Still waiting on wheels and adapters also. Will make sure I post pictures when all done.

Rear shocks fitted. Wow they are a step up from the originals. Fronts ordered also now. Blue aluminium 70mm kit from eBay. Also the fitting kit so can fit the fronts, and also the 3rd shock mod.

Wheel adapters arrived. 3 week wait on the wheels though :lol: by then will have the fronts fitted and the third shock done though.

Photos will follow. Just need the time to run it :lol:

Cheers for all the help and support

So fronts are now fitted. Got a set of yeah racing 70mm. Filled them with oil and after some fabrication later, they are on. They look the part and keep the front end of the car up rather than folding under it's own weight.

Will get a photo up soon and let you guys know how she runs.

Still waiting on wheels and tyres. And now need to have a go at the third shock. Or more accurately pass it on to someone a lot more practical than myself.

Wonder what I can do for my next project B)

I added 2-1/2 ounces of weights to the chassis and found this allowed the shocks to work.

Best overall modification I've found yet to tame the Hopper chassis.

DSCN2551.jpg

So here it is..... Finally - Sorry for the delay but I have been waiting an age for my wheels...... Not stopped me running it though, had all sorts of fun with it running against my mates Ansmann Truggy.

So the final build list:

Motor - ansmann clash 21t brushed - already had the 540 pinion with silver can

Esc - uk sniper rv 20 auto

Charger - fusion vx84

Rear shocks - Traxxas Slash Fronts - straight fit with longer screws

Front Shocks - Yeah Racing 70mm oil filled - slight widening of mounts required

Wheels and Tyres - Carson 2WD All Terrain (Fronts and Rears)

Batteries - 4 x 3800mah NIMH (cheap as chips off ebay)

Bearings - grasshopper 2 /super hornet set off ebay

Hex wheel adapters - off "the frog"

The final piece of the puzzle is the 3rd shock mod - got all the original shocks so should be able to work something out.

Just hoping now that the September announcement in September is the Monster Beetle - thought I would fuel some speculation.

post-37054-1313177597_thumb.jpg

Great job, some matching rear alloy shocks would finish it off nicely.

Really looks the part on those wheels too, let's have some more photos

More photos to follow. Hopefully when is rolling :)

Happy with the odd shocks. I guess it's because it took me so long to find both sets I don't want to go down that road again :)