Sign in to follow this  
Falcon#5

Why won't some people ship items overseas?

Gday all.

I'm just curious as to why some people won't ship evilBay items o/s?

A lot people will make an exception for an Aussie :D (mostly US & Can)

I usually only get knocked back when enquiring about complete cars.

But today I was knocked back for some parts in the UK that will fit in a small box, and will be inexpensive to send.

I pay for postage, so does it make much difference where it's being sent?

I understand there are hassles posting to Italy, and a couple of other places.

Are the sellers just being cautious?

I've never sold anything via that auction site, nor posted anything o/s, so I don't know what is involved.

Cheers.

I'm just throwing this out there, as I have never shipped outside the U.S. yet, but from what I gather, there is quite a bit of paperwork to fill out due to all the stupid security measures in place for packages. I also think quite a few of these folks are still at a young age, and just don't have the experience to go to the post office and even begin to start an international shipment. I have seen several NIB cars for sale that I'd love to buy, but the seller will not ship outside the UK, or whatever country they live in. But no worries, I understand their decision to keep things simple.

Hope this helps ya!!!

Cheers!

I think people worry about it cos it's a little bit more complicated. Posting overseas from the UK is easy enough, just got to fill in the Customs form and everything else is pretty much the same as posting a parcel to anywhere else.

Another thing that puts people off is working out the cost. Standard email is easy enough, but it's not tracked and the insurance is only £44 or so. If you want it tracked and /or extra insurance you have to use International Signed For or Airsure, both of which increase the cost significantly, sometimes to the point where the buyer backs out.

I think some people are lazy and/or see it as more hassle than it's worth.

Hope this makes sense,

Rob

+1

I keep having the same question which is quite frustrating from time to time.

I always wanted to have a set r two of the Carson 2WD tire and rims that go well with my FAV.

I am willing to pay extra for the shipping, not ridiculous price like 40 Euro for shipping itself!

I was asking for the sipping price of a set of Carson tire and rims of 4 which cost $21 USD, at Ebay. the shipping was 40 Euro?! crazy huh?

Thanks fellas.

I will say that a lot of people are more than helpful though.

They take the time to look up pricing to send a parcel to some obscure corner of a foreign country on the other side of the world! :D

I then feel bad that I get outbid and they went to all that trouble for nothing! :)

But others don't seem to care about a sale/more profitable sale.

+1

I keep having the same question which is quite frustrating from time to time.

I always wanted to have a set r two of the Carson 2WD tire and rims that go well with my FAV.

I am willing to pay extra for the shipping, not ridiculous price like 40 Euro for shipping itself!

I was asking for the sipping price of a set of Carson tire and rims of 4 which cost $21 USD, at Ebay. the shipping was 40 Euro?! crazy huh?

I agree.

I asked about a bare chassis with suspension. No electrics or anything.

Auction ended without a single bid at the $14.99US starting bid.

Relisted at $9.99, still no bids. But a $52.50 shipping price! :D

There is also a large difference between prices from the same country.

$35-$75 from the US, and 40-90 GBP from the UK!

Are they asking extra for their time, gold leaf bubble wrap or what?! :)

Ive wondered about this too. Its hardly any different posting overseas from the UK and its all laid out pretty well in the Royal Mail website. Maybe involves a tiny bit more effort but if you're reaching more buyers that way I dont have a problem with that.

Saying all that I did have a bit of a nightmare a couple of years ago posting an r/c tank to Australia. It was during a series of postal strikes in the UK and that gave them all the excuse they needed to loose track of my parcel and basically wash their hands of it. It should've been with the buyer withing 15 days but after 2 months and many calls to Royal Mail I refunded the buyer and it seemed like a lost cause.... then a few days later the buyer email me to say it just turned up and was fine. Fortunately he was a genuine kind of guy and resent the original payment. so at least paypal made some money out of it.

Im always selling stuff on ebay overseas and thats the only time something has gone wrong for me. Its really not an issue. Just like everything else I weigh the item, add in the cost of the packaging and thats the P&P I charge. Its all up front on the auction so theres no compaints.

I understand there are hassles posting to Italy, and a couple of other places.

I always here bad things about the Italian postal service, but my experience has been fine though I ensure all my packages are sent 'international signed for'. The last package I sent only a couple of months ago was for an item £100+. As long as you pay for compensation up to the value of the item, there's no need to worry about sending to Italy. And I bought an item only last month from Italy and no I wasn't worried in the slightest. Think the scale of the problems with the Italian postal service has been blown out of proportion.

With regards sending overseas; the only issue I have is sending items over 2kgs overseas, just because in the UK postage costs get crazy.

:D

i posted a few things to TC members from Italy and Norway recently without any hassle. Tbh i only posted to them as they are current, regular and trusted members on the forum, on eBay i state UK postage only and collection in person would be prefered. The only reason for that is if anything was to go wrong (which isn't hard to imagine on eBay), in the UK i could drive to the address if required. Overseas i couldn't

that is the rare time that i sell on eBay right enough.

i have had a fair bit of experience with oversea postage as a buyer and seller with other hobbies . most seller on ebay dont/wont post o/s because its extra work like filling out a customs form and such and then some that do see it as a way of making more money on their sale , like charging 32 odd dollars for usps first class air mail then sending it by sea mail ..for $10 .

most sellers in any country will post overseas if you ask them BEFORE the auction is finished or you start bidding even if the dont state so but if they ask for payment to do so , go else where , i do and remember , they can only say no ! .

sending o/s from australia is easy , just pack , fill out the customs declearation truthfull and pay your money .

at times they wont send overseas , its good to havefriends in that country who you can send the parcel t then have them foreward it on to you . this how i can around it !

i have had motorcycle , firearm parts , books and r/c cars and gear all sent this way , as the mate picks the cheapest , quickest postage rate . i bought a clodzilla from canada for $78 asnd it cost $100 postage by sea as it was complete but in the end it was 178 dollar zilla ! cheap in any ones eyes , i'm in the process of getting a very sweet fox in from texas as we speak .. price for postage with out the old 6v batties , transmitter ( wrong freq for here ) and charger ( wrong voltage ) . the shop is only too helpfull with this .but if ifs still too much i will get them to send it to arkanas to the mate who will post it on , then i reemburse him by paypal .. see easy !

I always ask first, just to check.

I don't want to win the bidding then get told they won't ship o/s, or get stung by crazy shipping costs!

I might have to find someone in the UK to accept and forward on parcels for me! ;)

some us sellers just don't know how easy it is to ship overseas. or they think it costs alot because they've never done it.

i've only sent small packages overseas, but it was easy and i'll do it anytime.

I wished more Ebay sellers offered o/s postage. I have ordered a fair amount from the USA (100+ items over the past few years), to my house in Australia. With USPS International Priority I have never had a problem. Tracking is excellent... Sometimes postage arrives quicker from the USA to my house, than if I ordered from the other side of Australia. Says alot for Australia Post....Shipping prices to Australia from the USA are quite reasonable. From the UK or Europe can get a bit pricey if the item is heavy (ie 3kg) from my experience...my Tyrrell P34 + parts cost almost GBP100 postage to Australia from the UK I learn't from that costly order...yes sir.

90% of my collection was bought o/s. I tend to stick with sellers who have all the postage info and costs clearly advertised. Also experienced sellers with posting o/s I tend to stick with only..less hassle. I usually check the feedback from other buyers from different parts of the world to help.

i have had a fair bit of experience with oversea postage as a buyer and seller with other hobbies . most seller on ebay dont/wont post o/s because its extra work like filling out a customs form and such and then some that do see it as a way of making more money on their sale , like charging 32 odd dollars for usps first class air mail then sending it by sea mail ..for $10 .

most sellers in any country will post overseas if you ask them BEFORE the auction is finished or you start bidding even if the dont state so but if they ask for payment to do so , go else where , i do and remember , they can only say no ! .

sending o/s from australia is easy , just pack , fill out the customs declearation truthfull and pay your money .

at times they wont send overseas , its good to havefriends in that country who you can send the parcel t then have them foreward it on to you . this how i can around it !

i have had motorcycle , firearm parts , books and r/c cars and gear all sent this way , as the mate picks the cheapest , quickest postage rate . i bought a clodzilla from canada for $78 asnd it cost $100 postage by sea as it was complete but in the end it was 178 dollar zilla ! cheap in any ones eyes , i'm in the process of getting a very sweet fox in from texas as we speak .. price for postage with out the old 6v batties , transmitter ( wrong freq for here ) and charger ( wrong voltage ) . the shop is only too helpfull with this .but if ifs still too much i will get them to send it to arkanas to the mate who will post it on , then i reemburse him by paypal .. see easy !

Bang on mate !!

I purchased an item from the States 3 weeks ago ,I had not heard anything from the seller so I fired of a quick email to see what was happening ,Turns out he was hesitant to post to Australia as he had to go to the post office and fill a heap of paperwork out even though the auction said worldwide postage .

He said he would do it but in his own sweet time .

Not to fussed as long as it gets here before my son's birthday later this year.

Interesting enough, cause I have been shipping items to other country from the States.

You just have to fill in one international shipping label and done! I don't remember it needs a lot of paper work.

However, shipping from China is different story... speaking via my own experience here, where I am currently working in Shanghai china.

Shipping things back to LA , you have to gone through a bunch of steps and troubles, the custom officers or postal officer make you open the box in front of them and asking a bunch of question before they will ship. Beside that, the cost is heavy, what tops it all, even you tell them that it is fragile, they would just F*cking through the box in front of you! now, i guess people are taking things for granted not experiencing different scenario... lol

Bang on mate !!

I purchased an item from the States 3 weeks ago ,I had not heard anything from the seller so I fired of a quick email to see what was happening ,Turns out he was hesitant to post to Australia as he had to go to the post office and fill a heap of paperwork out even though the auction said worldwide postage .

He said he would do it but in his own sweet time .

Not to fussed as long as it gets here before my son's birthday later this year.

I will but it is quite a bit more of a pain for me than domestic. I use FedEx from the office to ship stuff out, and FedEx only offers next day for international. So I have to jump on the subway, go to the PO, fill out customs forms, generally box items a little better etc etc. That usually takes longer than my lunch hour.

But yeah, I don't mind doing it, we have some great contributing members in our RC forums outside of the US.

lol good old fedex ! they wanted the mate in arkanas to pay $148 to send a small and i mean small box containing a set of sbr wheels to australia , ups did it for 12 ! lol ..took 6 working days too , i was impressed !

Yeah, it would be great if any TC members in Europe would help bringing some of the Carson 2WD tires and rim for FVA.

Anyone? I would be interested to order a few sets.

I will but it is quite a bit more of a pain for me than domestic. I use FedEx from the office to ship stuff out, and FedEx only offers next day for international. So I have to jump on the subway, go to the PO, fill out customs forms, generally box items a little better etc etc. That usually takes longer than my lunch hour.

But yeah, I don't mind doing it, we have some great contributing members in our RC forums outside of the US.

Not ship overseas...

1) Believe too much paper work or forms to fill out

2) Thinking he, the seller, is responsible for the taxes or duties

3) Item get lost and seller is out of postage and the item

4) Don't trust overseas buyer or the post office there.

5) Item must be extremely well pack

Mind you items 3 - 5 could happy even within same country.

The result is... good for buyer if within seller's country and bad for seller as the price will be lower since in only for his/her country market and not the world.