commiedoor

a shot-hit hotshot !

w00t , when the gods smile , they really smile ! i picked up another bargin on friday ! an original hotty , complete with original broken bits ! :D

has the usuall suspects , broked shocky mount on the front arms , cracked chassis were the rear box mounts up and a cracked rear shocky mount ,the red cover thingy that holds the shock body in place ! .. other than that , it's in good nick , apperantly the '' operator '' broke things quickly so it didn't get much use . so i got it cheap of eblah for some reason and now i have enother youthfull memory rekindled that of a hotshot .. and the car count just went up again ..check my sig !

KGrHqUOKi0E16B2ipeBNw9YVfDQ_12.jpg

Haha, you bought it! :D

I was watching that one, even down to the last second trying my hardest not to bid on it!

Too much to buy for other projects this pay, plus I just bought a Boomerang ( :) ) Took a lot of self control!

Great buy mate, looks in good nick, and a bargain price! Well done. ;)

Cool, nice one George, You're going to have to extend your shelving in your living room at this rate, has it got a sport tuned in it or is the 540 in a black rubber tamiya balloon.

well , the hotshot turned up today .. hmm might be better calling it a shagged shot ! <_< . the description on eblah left a lot to be desired thats for sure . just ordered a heap of bits from jr-rc in japan . i have to replace one front lower suspension arm , but i knew that . the red adjuster on the rear shock , i knew that too . the top chassis , i didnt know that ! . the rear gear box , didnt know that either ! , all the mounting points for the rear shock are broken off and had been replaced with a metal bracket that was screwed on with BIG self tappers , straight in to the rear gear box , they just missed the gears inside and the body disintergrated in my hands when i tried to clean it up. so i ordered one of them too .

on the up side , its in good nick other wise ! :) all 4 pieces that are left ..lol the tyres and rims are ok , the gears are fine in both ends and the out drives are straight it . has some sealed bearing in it so theres only a few to fit . and it has a new sport tuned motor ..w00t ! i'll get sum pics up soon

Looks like you have a Mk1 bumper there. I wonder if any other bits were Mk1. There was a post by Rosey on the Mk1 differences, but I can't seem to find it right now. At least you saved another car from the dump.

By the sounds of it, a lot of the current components are going in the dump!

When I bought mine from eBay for £12 I knew most of it was rubbish, but the sun of the wheels,Tyres and a few other bits was worth it. £100 of parts later I have a shelf queen with only original wishbones and metal ball plates.

the rear gear box , didnt know that either !

Note that if you replace the gearbox halves, you will ideally need to find the original G parts tree. If you get the re-re G parts you need the re-re output cups and the large E rings too, or you will need to shim the diff, since the re-re gearboxes are different to the originals, having a deeper recess for the bearings that support the diff. You'll end up with a crunchy skipping differential if you mix the re-re gearbox halves with the small c clips.

You can recognise an original G parts tree as it has only one wide tab on the sprue. The re-re parts tree has 2 tabs, one wide, one narrow.

If the Hotshot is a Mk1 (has the front bumper with the holes in it), then the Mk1 front gearbox halves are different to both the re-re and the Mk2 original gearbox.

- James

got a whole bunch of parts for the hoty today . i checked the front gear box and apart from some metal bearings and some grease , the front box was in good condition . the rear gear box halfs are re re parts and after checking them with the old box halfs , i found NO difference and just swapped every thing over after bunging in some metal bearings and grease . the only difference i have seen is the top chassis half , it has an access plate in the middle where the original is solid where the body mount is located . i fit the new front arms , top and bottom , mainly cause i had them . i put metal bearings in the axle carries and replaced an axle that had a bent cup that broke when i tried to straighten it . i replaced all the red plastic parts on the shocks so they look new .

as for the front bumper , i havnt been able to find a pic of one with holes ??? i can only find ones with '' tamiya '' cut in them

i have buffed up all the alloy parts with fine steel wool to bring them up nice . i bought a new body as well and it should be all good tomorrow .. pics will be up i hope

Cant wait to see how the old girl turns out.

Hanging for some pics! :lol:

the rear gear box halfs are re re parts and after checking them with the old box halfs , i found NO difference and just swapped every thing over after bunging in some metal bearings and grease .

Trust me, there IS a difference with the re-re gearbox halves. It's a very subtle difference, easy to miss. The recesses where the geatbox output joint shaft bearings go (the ones that support the diff) are deeper on the re-re parts. The extra tolerance is taken up by the larger thicker E clips used on the re-re instead of the tiny C circlips.

If you reassembled it with the original C circlips holding in the gearbox joints and didn't shim the diff, listen out for the crunching sound when you run it. That will be the diff skipping :lol:

- James

i rechecked the box halfs ...and yup ,i didnt push the bearings in hard enough . sorry to have doubted you hunter ! . getting those c clips out was a real pain in the astriod !

i made 2 washers out of a piece of thin polycarb food container . seems a bit tight but turns ok . alli got do now is get my new rims and work out if i want to get an original top chassis or use the one i bought with the access plate .. :lol:

as promised , pics up today . heres some ofthe parts i used to refurbish the clunker , not shown is the new body and wing

hoty004.jpg

and i'm still waiting on the new rims .

when i pull some thing apart to clean and check .....i really pull it apart !

hoty005.jpg

ok , heres the long awaited pics !

hoty009.jpg

hoty010.jpg

hoty012.jpg

the total cost was around $160 au , i had a lot of bearings and stuff here left over from other cars , so the cost wasn't too bad i spose ..

Looks great! :)

Did you find out if it is a MK1 at all?

still trying to work whats a mk1 or mk2 ?? :) lol

Mk1 was mentioned here.

Maybe some of the posters in this thread can help ID?

ok i found out the obvious difference , the mk1 bumper has 3 holes in the middle of it while the mk2 has none , both have tamiya cutout in them .

Hotshot on eBay with only a few hours to go at a good price.... that good price could turn bad if it cost big $$ to get it running :lol:

I think it would only be good for parts from what I can see with the one pic :lol:

migth cost a bit to get back as a runner if you didn't have another one.

If all you want is a shelf queen or a runner then the costs of refurbishment should be weighed against the price of a re re kit. I probably spent £0 inmpqrts on mine (including new chassis shell, most parts and body) but I paid £15 for the start point. I have ended up with a rere hotshot with the odd (maybe 2 or 3) original parts but cost me £30 less than a new rere and I had the extra fun of sourcing parts.

A couple of battered hotshot2 chassis went thru uk eBay at the weekend, £30-40 each. If you had spare esc/motor and some radio gear you could havemade them into respectable runners with £40-60 of parts, so £100 total give or take. Good enough for bashing but probably need another £40 in new parts to make them a good return to near new.

Commiedoor and myself are both watching that one! :)

:lol: It's mine :lol: . I want one , as i don't have one yet . But i may have to let this go as well :) . But then if you are bidding on it , so should I :D .

:lol: It's mine :lol: . I want one , as i don't have one yet . But i may have to let this go as well :) . But then if you are bidding on it , so should I ;) .

I don't feel so bad after sniping the Wild One off you now! :)

(Jokes :D )