Sign in to follow this  
mike_o

Trailer or what?

Obviously, I need brain surgery, but apart from that, can you guess what this is?

006.jpg

A powered jinker?

*EDIT*

I just noticed there is no drive to the wheels. :)

Obvious :) It's going to be a lawn mower to tow behind your RC. Hence no drive to the wheels, wide wheelbase, motor facing down (ready for prop / blade) , and a tow loop. What do I win ?????? B)

Bunny hacker; assembly is pushed in front of vehicle in order to 'clear' rabbits from road

5 Gillette Mach 3 razor heads are attached to rotors, direct driven from motor

Probably

MadInventor probably right.

TWINSETs idea is much more fun! :)

R/C lawn mowing? The wife wont be able to complain about that one eh? "Yes love I know I've been at it for hours but Im just being thorough! Now put the kettle on"

You might need a little suspenion on the wheels though or it'll ground out when it lands after the jumps :)

MadInventor probably right.

TWINSETs idea is much more fun! :)

Could easily be adapted for cane toads too, with simple splash guards bolted on B)

Oh, you guys are too clever. Or just in need of same type of brain surgery as myself. It is indeed a lawn mower. With directly mounted scalpel blades below.

005.jpg

Inteded to cut the grass sufficeintly low in tracks for buggy racing.

Would it not have made more sense to have the motor plate larger than the blade assembly's diameter?

At the minute it looks like you could do yourself some serious damage picking it up anywhere but the ball-hitch.

All joking apart, that thing needs some guards on it, not least to stop a chunk of scalpel blade shooting off into your eye when it eventually shatters

All joking apart, that thing needs some guards on it, not least to stop a chunk of scalpel blade shooting off into your eye when it eventually shatters

There's that suggested brain surgery B)

Obviously, I need brain surgery

I agree though, make up a cover for that blade. Be crazy safe :)

You might find that the motor won't work so well as a direct drive. 3:1 ratio reduction (a pinion and spur gear) might work a bit better and still spin fast enough to cut effectivey.

I agree with twinset about the guards, if one of the blades hit a bit gravel or similar and shatters it will fly out at high velocity, possibly sticking into something soft and squishy. What about using a plastic model aeroplane propellor. The blade does not have to be that sharp to cut grass and will have a much wider cutting disc (You will be there all day cutting a course out with a cutting width of 2inches. You really want 2 more to tow behind that one in 'vic formation'... :)

have look at some of the pics here

mowers

this is the setup that is used on 'rougher' terrain.

No fixed blades, U could use rc helicopterparts for that.

deco

and be carefull with rocks or perhaps in this case pebbles :)

A strimmer manages to cut using plastic string - that looks lethal.

I'll take bets on how long it takes before you lose a digit or worse.

Thanks for all your comments - I laughed a lot! But seriously, those comments about security are spot on; I will fit a cover. First, I may just want to add a second motor to increase cut width :-)

Also, I did consider a reduction gear, but since the diameter is so small (8 cm) and I run the motor on 4,8v only, it seems to work quite well. Here is a picture of the (appropriately chosen) Wild Dagger with the mower mounted:

lawnmover001.jpg

Adds a new meaning to the name "Wild Dagger", doesn't it? The Dagger is running with the two silver can motors in series to slow things down and make it more controllable.

And the test result (difficult to photograph):

lawnmover002.jpg

Next step will be to figure out how to operate the unit via the 3. channel on my Graupner XS-6 transmitter and a second ESC. That way I can also stay out of harms way when turning on and off the thingy.

Next step will be to figure out how to operate the unit via the 3. channel on my Graupner XS-6 transmitter and a second ESC. That way I can also stay out of harms way when turning on and off the thingy.

What about a simple 'Weight on wheels' switch. You could use a microswitch with a paddle on that closes the switch when the mower is put on the ground, which in turn powers a relay to turn the main motor on and off. No need for an esc or multi channel RC, and if you roll it will automatically cut the motor. Cheap and safe :). Alternatively, put the switch on a extending tow bar. When the mower is pulled by the RC it pulls the swtich closed, reverse slightly and it shuts the mower off. Or use both for safety and control.

'' idle hands are the devils tools '' comes to my mind straight away ! you should rename the dagger to the '' wild scalpel '' !! :)

'' idle hands are the devils tools '' comes to my mind straight away !

idle hands may soon be removed :)

i really like it, it's a good idea and could be really good with some small improvements. Looking forward to seeing it evolve

There's that suggested brain surgery <_<
idle hands may soon be removed :)

i really like it, it's a good idea and could be really good with some small improvements. Looking forward to seeing it evolve

Haha, thanks! Well, not only have I taken the project to the next level, I have also maintained enough eye vision and finger tips to post an update:

wacker_v2002.jpg

and from below:

wacker_v2003.jpg

Ok so next up it'll be needing a grass collection box and a cup holder.

Latest update: powering up the device was getting on my nerves, so I decided to try out the third channel on my Tx/Rx. I added another ESC to the empty channel (the TEU-101's separate power wire (=powerless receiver wire) is quite useful here so you don't have two ESCs fighting over the receiver/servo power delivery).

Small demo video here

Does it include great rivers of blood? :)

The neighbor's cat is very interested in the device, so I'll keep my camera at hand...

:):P:D Nice! When it powered up I was half expecting it to start hovering. I certainly wouldnt want to be within touching distance when its going full speed.

I cant help thinking flashing yellow warning lights would add to the look and be practical.