Falcon#5

No Tamiya Short Course Truck

Gday all.

After seeing some SCT action today, I think I might like one! :blink:

I've never seen the attraction to the ugly hulks, until now.

They soak up bumps nicely, corner sharply, are well balanced, and tough as nails.

Due to Tamiya not making one (unless 58500 surprises us :) ) what are peoples thoughts on the alternatives?

Traxxas Slash

Losi XXX-SCT

HPI Blitz

Kyosho Ultima SC

Associated SC10

Are there any other worthwhile mentions that I've missed?

Thanks in advance! :lol:

Slash. All the way. Just the most awesome tough as nails throw anything at it RC truck there is. Get one. You'll love it!

I've never even understood what the term 'short course' means. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Pretty sure it's literally short courses (and laps) as opposed to desert runs (and long courses)

Edit;

Just found this; http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry381638 :blink:

As for the original question, I'd get another Slash over the others; Traxxas trucks have an excellent parts backup over here, so if you bust anything, the spares are relatively easy to get hold of, plus RPM and Proline make a fair few tuner parts too.

The 2WD Slash is great fun, the 4WD's a bit more 'predictable'

Whichever one you go for, make sure 'replaceables' like wheels and tyres are standard - some of the more obscure manufacturers have started doing their own wheel/tyre combos which means at replacement time you either gotta buy their tyres or replace the wheels to use someone else's

I think Venom is one culprit - their beadlock wheel only locks down on their tyre

For bashing you're gonna have a hard time beating Traxxas for durability and parts availability.

After that it seems like everyone has their own opinion. Personally, I like Associated.

The Durango's a great example of 'non standard' :lol:

For some reason, they've opted for 15mm hexes, with outboard pins :blink:

post-1185-1306001004_thumb.jpg

I've never been a Traxxas fan until the Slash. It's a blast and darn near indestructable. I whole heartedly recommend a Slash to anyone.

Another Slash fan here. Bought one, was so impressed I bought another. Amazingly tough, great bashers and the 'training mode' is great for kids.

Gday all.

After seeing some SCT action today, I think I might like one! :rolleyes:

I've never seen the attraction to the ugly hulks, until now.

They soak up bumps nicely, corner sharply, are well balanced, and tough as nails.

Due to Tamiya not making one (unless 58500 surprises us :P ) what are peoples thoughts on the alternatives?

Traxxas Slash

Losi XXX-SCT

HPI Blitz

Kyosho Ultima SC

Are there any other worthwhile mentions that I've missed?

Thanks in advance! :unsure:

If you are looking at one as a racer, the Slash will be at a big disadvantage because of its high centre of gravity. For bashing, it doesn't matter.

You should also consider the Associated SC10.

From what I can tell from reading up on these is the Slash is a great all-round car but as said the SC10 is a better truck if you wanted to get serious about racing them due the lower centre gravity.

But either I think you couldn’t go too far wrong.

The 4wd ones are not really my cup of tea, as has been mentioned they are not really as exciting to drive. The 2wd slash is my favourite general basher rc I have ever had over 30 years of messing with them.. It's ace!

The slash is not as race tuned as the sc10 but you can get it more race ready with a low c.o.g chassis. I recently entered my STD Slash for a race and I came 3rd, and was just 1 lap behind the sc10 and race spec losi (name escapes me) that beat me. This was with STD tyres, no other tweaks.

This just proves driving ability has a lot to do with results as I wouldn’t think the performance of a SC10 would be miles ahead of a Slash…. Could be wrong but just my thoughts.

SC10 does have a few designed race-advntages... but when shod with SCT tyres

with "realistic" tread (no 1/8th or mini pins), the lack of grip equalises the field a lot.

there's also the Losi XXX-SCT and HPI Blitz

talking about non-standard, Losi's first effort... didn't even fit into the SCT rules :rolleyes:

As said by most, the Slash really is bullet proof, and clearly the best basher in the field, I have a bit more of a race orientation, therefore the Slash would be last on my list, the pick of them from what I have seen and experienced, the SC10 & Ultima SC stand at the top of the pile. Just my opinion though

Perhaps there IS an SC truck from Tamiya: The TRF201 SC :rolleyes:

It's a custom project, not done by a TRF or development team from Tamiya, but surely it has to have made the TRF crew of Tamiya interested :unsure: I'd just email to the adress in the link and ask how many mods would be necessary to make this :P

However, if you're not waiting for a whole load of work, get a Slash for bashing or if you want to race an HPI Blitz (The Blitz seems to be built purely as an SC car whereas the Associated SC10 and Kyosho Ultima SC are just stretched and widened, so parts like the suspension blocks may not have been reinforced to stand up against the bigger forces involved in the crashes with longer suspension arms).

However, if you're not waiting for a whole load of work, get a Slash for bashing or if you want to race an HPI Blitz (The Blitz seems to be built purely as an SC car whereas the Associated SC10 and Kyosho Ultima SC are just stretched and widened, so parts like the suspension blocks may not have been reinforced to stand up against the bigger forces involved in the crashes with longer suspension arms).

The SC10 and Ultima SC are both based off of the T4 and RT5, both stadium trucks which use the same suspension arms, towers etc. Even the Blitz is based of the Firestorm I believe. No problem with component strength, trust me

I'm not sure whether to go for a Slash to start with, then upgrade later, or go straight for a racing spec truck? :rolleyes:

Shame the TRF-201 SC isn't an off the shelf truck, otherwise I'd probably get one! :unsure:

I'm not sure whether to go for a Slash to start with, then upgrade later, or go straight for a racing spec truck? :rolleyes:

Shame the TRF-201 SC isn't an off the shelf truck, otherwise I'd probably get one! :unsure:

I've had the 2wd slash with 550 titan brushed motor, the 4wd slash with velineon brushless motor & the slash platinum edition with the velineon.

Everyone is right, they are excellent machines with exellent parts support. Go with a brushless version and you'll be impressed :P.

Go straight for a race truck. Slashes are pointless on a track (and yes theres a massive difference when racing an SCT....Slashes just want to turn turtle at EVERY corner whereas most other SCT's want to on *some* corners :rolleyes:

I've owned a couple of SC10s and raced them, the Blitz is just as good on track, as is the Losi XXX-SCT. Those three are the best 2WD ones around, loads of parts support. The Associated and Losi are imperial fixings, the Blitz is metric so that might make a difference if you haven't got tools to suit yet.

I love the look of a buggy, but not sure how an open wheeler will go with all the bumping and crashing.

The truck bodies seem to prevent the wheels hooking up on eachother.

It's a hard decision to make, there doesn't seem to be any one car that stands out above the rest.

The only consensus is Slash for bashing, and the rest for racing.

The first decision is whether to bash, or race.

After the turn out of trucks the other day at Mitchell Park, I don't think it will be long before racing starts up.

That might be the basis of my choice I think.

Then I have to decide on a truck. :blink::lol:

i don't support openwheeler buggies as a race class... SCTs should stay SCT (full fender & SCT tyres)

as most offroad clubs also run 2WD, Truck and 4WD buggy ... so why dilute & confuse the classes more?

i don't support openwheeler buggies as a race class... SCTs should stay SCT (full fender & SCT tyres)

as most offroad clubs also run 2WD, Truck and 4WD buggy ... so why dilute & confuse the classes more?

Yep for the little knowledge I have on this I have to agree.

I myself am leaning toward getting a Losi XXX-SCT still searching the net and reading up but.