brayling

Re Re scorcher body

Hi all, I recently bought a 2010 scorcher body kit. I was pleased when it arrived all in £35. But on closer inspection it was full of flaws, there are sunken areas on the body where its come off the mold 4 on the roof and one big one in the nose, it was also a bit rough in the cut (not much to sand but still)

Just wondering if anyone else has had one like this or its just my luck? My life seems to be governed by the law of sod anyway so this is no different, ha

Is there anymore out there? maybe a bad batch?

Thanks Brayling

they don't come perfect out of the box ready for painting without prepping

but perhaps yours sounds worse than it should be

maybe they're keeping the 'better' examples to supply the ltd edn chromeplated runs

now appearing in shiny chrome, matte chrome, gold, red chrome, blue chrome... :blink:

they don't come perfect out of the box ready for painting without prepping

but perhaps yours sounds worse than it should be

maybe they're keeping the 'better' examples to supply the ltd edn chromeplated runs

now appearing in shiny chrome, matte chrome, gold, red chrome, blue chrome... :blink:

No I knew there would be some prep, well a lot with what I have in mind but the sunken areas are just a bit of a *******, who wants a chrome shell? well unless its just going to sit on a shelf or you have enough cash to collect them all.

Cheers for the response, I'm off to mark out my arches ready for cutting.

Thanks

chrome shell is a sweet idea but not if the substrate is more dimpled than a golfball :blink:

and yeah, now that they're up to 5 variants (x2 for both SRBs) ... its a real exercise in milking every last hobby dollar

Hi all, I recently bought a 2010 scorcher body kit. I was pleased when it arrived all in £35. But on closer inspection it was full of flaws, there are sunken areas on the body where its come off the mold 4 on the roof and one big one in the nose, it was also a bit rough in the cut (not much to sand but still)

Just wondering if anyone else has had one like this or its just my luck? My life seems to be governed by the law of sod anyway so this is no different, ha

Is there anymore out there? maybe a bad batch?

Thanks Brayling

I have got a re-re body for a project I am working on nowadays and can say the quality is pretty awful. Even though the mold marks over the fenders are also present in the original 1979 pudgy Sand Scorcher body, it does require an unusual amount of work to make it look as good as the original Monster Beetle body from 1986. And you know, I thought the re-re body was Tamiya's biggest joke ever (until I got to see the new Holiday Buggy).

The traditional quality that Tamiya products had in the past is now fading off from the market. Another experience was the decal set for the new Bronco body. So awfully bad! I mean the shape of the lexan body is super nice, but the pre-cut decals just won't take the curves they were meant for! :)

I got one of these last year i think it was, when re-re body first came out not looked at it since as did not look closely when first got it.

In garage some where lol when i get time to paint it etc.

Will take a look and see what mine is like.

I think I got it from Time tune models or modelsport.

So take it back to the place you got it from and demand a new body

I don't think yours is a one off and the dimple on the roof is present in every one I've come across and I've bought quite a number of them. I used the Tamiya white putty to fill them and it sanded back nicely... not as easy back in the day but I guess our standards or desired finish have also gone up somewhat since we were a teen!

James

I don't think yours is a one off and the dimple on the roof is present in every one I've come across and I've bought quite a number of them. I used the Tamiya white putty to fill them and it sanded back nicely... not as easy back in the day but I guess our standards or desired finish have also gone up somewhat since we were a teen!

James

+1 I think I used to do a quick masking tape job and then paint. I don't think I ever even used primer back then. The body was usually done and finished the same day it came home from the store. Looking back on what I did back then, I'm horrified that I ever showed them to anybody. I remember actually being proud of the paint jobs; how embarrassing.