mr crispy

Holiday Buggy Appreciation Society

Yeah, but you don't see many blokes lining up to take the butt-ugly chicks to the prom either .... B)

this very true, however you might find the butt ugly chicks as you put do not bother with proms.........

this is in another thread but I will put it here too as it is relivent:-

considering there now so many DT02 chassis on sale from Tamiya, where are all the spares ? some the hops ups are aslo becoming harder to find ! The red body shell is a nice edition to the HB. Even if it does look very toy'ish as other member have pointed out.

Most of the spares seem to be coming from people breaking kits, maybe a band wagon is there possibly 'mmmmm'

It is very clear why tamiya keep releasing DT02 kits, the DT02 class of racing is THE most popular in Japan. next to the DF03.

With all the parts changing colours for different kits you would have thought Tamiya would be on the ball with the spares! But no !

The white wheels from the super fighter GR, want those and the black wheels from the Red HB gota have those too.

Considering how Tamiya look at the car market and which cars they know they can sell they are very good at it. You have to remember their main market is actually their home country. NOT all the whinning collectors in 'other' countries !!!!!!!!!!!

The DT02 HB was a clear winner sales wise as soon as it was announced !

Easy money !

Clearly as Tamiya can see past the end of thier own nose, it makes them VERY good in what they do and how they do it.

Im lovin the DT02 chassis on my HB2010. Im hoping Tamiya will re-release the Sand Rover on it as well... I've got the money waiting here Mr Tamiya B)

Super Gripper,

Don't get me wrong, I love the DT-02 chassis and I think part of the reason you don't see spares is because these buggies are nearly indestructible. I agree that Tamiya probably is making bank off this production.

I just think the yellow wheels ruin the looks of this buggy though. The buggy in the video was great looking once those hideous yellow wheels were swapped for Carson wheels & tires - it was a real stunner.

It will be interesting to see how popular the FAV 2011 is in comparison. I know I'll buy at least one or two, but I can tell right now the DT-02 will absolutely smoke it in the performance category, even in the stock kit form. The HB 2010 can at least be upgraded to the Sand Viper specs very easily. There won't be much you can do for the FAV though. (Not that it will stop me from buying and enjoying it....)

I was very disappointed when the HB 2010 came out - not because it was a DT-02, or had "speed holes" or even those Gawd-awful yellow wheels. It was because the initial price was too high for what you got compared to the other DT-02 versions. Now that the price is reasonable I'm quite a fan. Plus I've got enough white star dish wheels laying about it's a snap to change the ugly yellow ones out.

I just had to give you a hard time because even though I like the HB 2010 I'm not ready to call it perfect or to say it was a home run for Tamiya. Good marketing sure, but there's room for improvement.

In perfect fairness though, if this model gets the kind of support and popularity for club racing that the Super Fighter G did, then I'd gladly admit I was wrong. I think that is one of the coolest racing series I've seen because it is so easy to get kids involved for dirt cheap! A HB 2010 series would be kinda cool but I'd get sick of seeing blue ones pretty quick. There's only so much you can do with a different colored roof and decals, LOL.

LEAVE the DT02 chassis alone I say ! The orginal HB chassis handled like a bag of PANTS! Why on earth would you want to destroy the DT02's great handling ? ? ? which = FUN ! I run a 19spec motor in mine with lipo, goes like stink - fantastic fun cars these. Well done Tamiya, SPOT ON ! !

I don't think any one of us here wants to trash the DT. Far from it, we are the ones who actually like it.

The die hard fans of the original was clearly anoyed at the way Tamiya went with the HB2010. I love the DT02 to bits. Best beach runner as the steering and rooster tails it makes is just second to none. Yes, no Scorchy, Blitser Beetle or Sand rover type look that befits the beach buggy genre, but dang, the wobbly steering of my Blitser Beetle is not a lot of fun at the end of the day. At least the DT02's front wheels keep pointing straight even under compression.

Might be putting a 12t brushless in my HB just for the heck of it and something a little milder into Neo's Neo Falcon. December is coming up and there's a beach on the KZN north coast with our name on it. Fun times here we come. :huh:

OK, count me in. It runs much better with a TEU101 in it. The 380 is more than enough power for it for general bashing around, and 20-30 minute run times with an abused 1500 NiCd is pretty darn good.

The wheels and tires need changing for sure. Here's what I've settled on for now:

DSCF0491.JPG

Those are Losi wide 5-rib tires on HPI rims on the front, and a pair of 1.9" crawler tires from a cheap Chinese crawler on the back. They're soft and sticky and just a little bit bigger than the stock tires, so they work great.

I don't any one of us here wants to trash the DT. Far from it, we are the ones who actually like it.

The die hard fans of the original was clearly anoyed at the way Tamiya went with the HB2010. I love the DT02 to bits. Best beach runner as the steering and rooster tails it makes is just second to none. Yes, no Scorchy, Blitser Beetle or Sand rover type look that befits the beach buggy genre, but dang, the wobbly steering of my Blitser Beetle is not a lot of fun at the end of the day. At least the DT02's front wheels keep pointing straight even under compression.

Might be putting a 12t brushless in my HB just for the heck of it and something a little milder into Neo's Neo Falcon. December is coming up and there's a beach on the KZN north coast with our name on it. Fun times here we come. :P

Fantastic to read and this thread is brilliant, I think the DT02 chassis is fantastic and Tamiya have got this 2010 HB spot on.

I am looking at orgaising a HB 2010 racing day at one of my local tracks, its a full astro track.

It would be a fun racing day nothing too serious, any DT02 chassis would be allowed but the HB prefered.

The only rule would that the fastest motor permitted would be the Tamiya black canned Sport Tuned.

If I organise this how many takers would there be ????????

So here is what my buggy now looks like. My driver now sports a much less cowboy looking hat and has a different look than the box one. Decals are a mix of Holiday buggy and some others. I now think that I should have painted the front fenders in a different color to set it off, next time..........

Hope you all like it. This will be the shelf shell as I have another on they way for bashing.

post-23688-1310118493_thumb.jpg

post-23688-1310118868_thumb.jpg

post-23688-1310118898_thumb.jpg

I don't think any one of us here wants to trash the DT. Far from it, we are the ones who actually like it.

Might be putting a 12t brushless in my HB just for the heck of it and something a little milder into Neo's Neo Falcon. December is coming up and there's a beach on the KZN north coast with our name on it. Fun times here we come. :lol:

I always thought that the Blitzter Beetle was basically a DT-02 :lol:

Here is another brilliant video of a HB2010.

HB2010 video

I just built a re-re Grasshopper and love it. I think a HB will be the next one I build. Looks like a fun runner!

You guys have perverted me... I have been tinkering on my HB2010 to narrow the track, fit 1.5" wheels and tyres....

After reading this thread, I've gone and slapped the body on my race-built Desert Gator. I have embraced the wide track version.

Currently painting the interior and lights.

Yep They are awesome for the money,

We at Boondal vintage meets have started a H/B Class. It's a very open track modeled on the original Tamiya Test track in the 80's guide book. Very Basic and fast lay out.

So we all decided to fit a Z Run brushless 13t combo with the 19t pinion. Yeah Shocks, Losi 2" step pins. Bearings of course..

We have 5 so far with 3 more being ordered .

They look so cool on the track and they look even better doing a wheel stand with a full seize body shell.

A pic i have

P6290119.jpg

P6290137.jpg

Looks like great fun :lol: it's such a shame the body isnt easier to paint as it would look even better with varied paint jobs..

Super Gripper....count me in on that particular race pal...HB2010 @ the ready!!. ;)B)

Ok guys...i remember two weeks ago when i purchased my LB i looked at a HB kit & the cowboy was split up & on parts tree's....??

Now i got a HB today! :) ...& to my suprise there's a separate baggie with a painted hat & head...they are painted pretty good tbh??..

Nice one...how were your kits??...i got a esc with it too all for a paltry £75notes!!

Super Gripper....count me in on that particular race pal...HB2010 @ the ready!!. B) B)

Ok guys...i remember two weeks ago when i purchased my LB i looked at a HB kit & the cowboy was split up & on parts tree's....??

Now i got a HB today! :lol: ...& to my suprise there's a separate baggie with a painted hat & head...they are painted pretty good tbh??..

Nice one...how were your kits??...i got a esc with it too all for a paltry £75notes!!

My HB2010 arrived today and yes my driver is already painted, it appears though that his eyes are closed <_<

Oh wow, that race series sounds like some awesome fun. December mine will get it's beach run time. Can't wait.

Today at Boondal we had 5 on the track with 13t Z Run combo,s

Just awesome fun....

BoondallBuggies207201115.jpg

Gawd help me, I'm starting to like the looks of those horrid yellow wheels. I've been planning on using the white star dish wheels I've got laying around, but now ...? Just shoot me now. I'll place a fiver on the blue one. :P

I went with Sand Viper rims. They at least are kind of the correct colour.

So, it's finally done.

P7223068.jpg

I found the yellow wheels worked better if you also painted the roof yellow.

DSC02103.jpg

But I've since replaced them with a set of carsons

DSC02231.jpg

You're right, it gives them a purpose for being there.

I actually painted my roof (pearl) white. I was so used to seeing HBs back in the old days with white roofs when I actually saw one with a pale blue roof it wrong to me :P But, the funky yellow decayed look that the ABS gets if left bare also looks horrid so I painted it.

I've really been indecisive about the color of the roof, lights and wheels. My favorite wheel/tire combo is the Carson black ones, but they are horridly expensive to get shipped to the US, so I'll probably go with what I've already got. That is: White, Red, or Yellow Star Dish or Silver Speed Dish. With either a white, blue or yellow roof. And some color lights. And either white, red, or green gas cans. ;) Glad I've narrowed that down. Good grief, if I waffle a bit more I might get elected to congress. :P

Haha ^

I've seen the 4WD version of those wheels in shops here (sold as Ansmann), but shocked to see 2WD fronts.

Wow, those Carsons made a huge difference!

And only £17.50 @ Fushion hobbies for all 4 wheels with preglued tyres. Search for "900027 Carson 2WD All Terrain Tyre Set - Black". They also do a chrome wheel set for £21.50.