mr crispy

Holiday Buggy Appreciation Society

Well, the HB was a Christmas miracle at my house!!! I have been into RC stuff all my life, but my wife has had zero interest in my hobby. When Tamiya came out with the Red HB Edition, I decided to buy both models, just to have each one. Once i received them, I tossed the idea out there to my wife, that it might be fun if we both sat down and built one each. This way she could work with me on identical builds in case she got hung up. Well, she took the bait, and I set the hook real fast! We did the build over the Christmas holiday, and it became our Christmas miracle!!!! She really enjoyed the build, and even had a blast with her first ever drive. She giggled like a little kid, and like to show off her first RC car. The only upgrade so far on our HB's are 540 silver cans, and 17T pinions. Now she wants to do some more builds. I guess we have another Tamiya addict on our hands!!! I just bought a 2nd Subaru Brat, (already have one NIB) so we can get started on another build. I love those chassis as well, so I'm sure she will enjoy that build too!!

My wife and I did something similar with Lunchboxes a few years ago. Had a ton of fun racing them around a park. Since then, mine has accumulated a lot more "miles" than hers, but we still take them both out once in a while.

Report on upgrade parts:

The 3racing brand shocks are the same as the other vendors selling the same 85mm or 100mm aluminum shocks for $8 free shipping!

They actually have oil in them, however the o-rings dont last and they end up leaking after a good while.

The 3 racing DT-02 wheel and tyre set are decent for the price. The tires are soft and grip, however the wheels are thin on the edges and will crack easily.

They look great, but the plastic is poor quality and thin.

Attempting some RPM branded (life-time warranty) rear wheels shortly!

I am able to run a 18T pinion.

A brace is definitely needed for the front shock mount: a bad landing and those things snap off!

You can use the turn buckles from a traxxas slash for the front and rear with the short heads. (a lot cheaper on eBay as well).

An 18 tooth pinion won't mesh good with the spur gear, as the DT-02 gearbox case has only motor mount holes for 19T and 17T (metric module 0.8) pinions.

An 18 tooth pinion won't mesh good with the spur gear, as the DT-02 gearbox case has only motor mount holes for 19T and 17T (metric module 0.8) pinions.

Works for me. :)

Well, it's YOUR car, so you can do anything you want with it. But don't blame us afterwards for not warning you. :D

I recently got my hands on a custom made variable metal motor mount adaptor for the DT-02, which will allow you to fit any module 0.8 pinion from 15T to 21T. Haven't tested it yet, but will be handy for sure if I want to use very hot motors or big diameter rear wheels.

Not sure, however it was from a motor I had received in a hotshot.

Is it possible that it is not a metric? It definitely has only 18 teeth. And works quite smoothly with the gears.

I don't know much about other pinions than metric pinions, but I don't think your 18T pinion should work for long until the spur gear might wear out. However, if that doesn't bother you, be happy with it. Spare DT-02 spur gears shouldn't be that expensive. :lol:

If you have the opportunity to buy a new pinion, look for a 17T mod.0.8 steel pinion (i.e. Carson #13407).

Avoid Tamiya's soft aluminium pinions, these are often included in their kits.

Just got my first DT02 (Holiday Buggy). It's a way down the project list but I'm looking forward to building it and joining in the HBAS fun.

My concern is how hot can you go with these things when limited to a 17t pinion. I have a spare 8.5t EZRun 4000kv so I figured I would use it but I'm not certain.

What do you think, am I mad?

I'd love to know what you all think. Cheers.

Just got my first DT02 (Holiday Buggy). It's a way down the project list but I'm looking forward to building it and joining in the HBAS fun.

My concern is how hot can you go with these things when limited to a 17t pinion. I have a spare 8.5t EZRun 4000kv so I figured I would use it but I'm not certain.

What do you think, am I mad?

I'd love to know what you all think. Cheers.

I put a 3600kv in mine, but went with the bigger pinion :D , it does 2 inch high wheelies at speed, the thing is nuts

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

Should probably put the 17t pinion in it myself

This post spooked me <_<

I run my HB with a 9T brushless system. Boy!, the motor temps are rocketed! Not sure why but after a long run, its nearly enought to burn your fingers!!

mtbkym01 awesome. Have you had any overloading? I could turn the punch setting right down and control the trigger finger I guess.

As much as I'm probably just going to try it anyway, I'd still like to hear what sort of power a DT02 can manage?

This post spooked me <_<

mtbkym01 awesome. Have you had any overloading? I could turn the punch setting right down and control the trigger finger I guess.

As much as I'm probably just going to try it anyway, I'd still like to hear what sort of power a DT02 can manage?

It does get pretty warm, I've only run it for like 6 mins at a time, but it just wants to be nailed everywhere, no trigger finger control here, great fun though

with this buggy and it's pinion gear options i would say 3000kv to 3300kv would be good and run cool.

at 7.2V a 3000KV motor will have 23760 RPM that alot more RPM than a stock 540 at 7.2V

Hi guys,

I swapped out my brushless motor in my HB for a Sport Tuned. I wanted to prolong the life of it! (Not just the motor/ESC but the Holoday buggy too <_<:):lol: :lol: :lol:)

New member to the appreciation society: Holiday Buggy, 17 tooth pinion, Electrix 20 turn motor, bearings, 3000 mah 6 cell batt

Fun little lightweight car. Love the body with the swoopy fenders. Like the Carson's tires/wheels, but can't find them in US, so went with Proline Dirt Hawgs on back. My son wore out the stock rear knobs within 2 runs with the 20 turn motor.

My son's been bashing since Christmas, but the body is already beat. Both fenders and front body mount cracked since the body hangs over the bumper.

Anybody make front bumpers for these cars? If not, I'll be adapting a Traxxas slash bumper to keep his buggy body in one piece.

Also, where can I find the 3racing shocks in US?

New member to the appreciation society: Holiday Buggy, 17 tooth pinion, Electrix 20 turn motor, bearings, 3000 mah 6 cell batt

Fun little lightweight car. Love the body with the swoopy fenders. Like the Carson's tires/wheels, but can't find them in US, so went with Proline Dirt Hawgs on back. My son wore out the stock rear knobs within 2 runs with the 20 turn motor.

My son's been bashing since Christmas, but the body is already beat. Both fenders and front body mount cracked since the body hangs over the bumper.

Anybody make front bumpers for these cars? If not, I'll be adapting a Traxxas slash bumper to keep his buggy body in one piece.

Also, where can I find the 3racing shocks in US?

I had to order mine on ebay. There is a set for $24 or there are other Chinese vendors selling $8/free shipping pairs of shocks.

So, the Proline dirt hawgs fit on the stock wheels? I thought they were 2.2" in size or is that simply the version of the tire?

I don't know much about other pinions than metric pinions, but I don't think your 18T pinion should work for long until the spur gear might wear out. However, if that doesn't bother you, be happy with it. Spare DT-02 spur gears shouldn't be that expensive. :lol:

If you have the opportunity to buy a new pinion, look for a 17T mod.0.8 steel pinion (i.e. Carson #13407).

Avoid Tamiya's soft aluminium pinions, these are often included in their kits.

What pitch do these use? 64P or 48P?

I had to order mine on ebay. There is a set for $24 or there are other Chinese vendors selling $8/free shipping pairs of shocks.

So, the Proline dirt hawgs fit on the stock wheels? I thought they were 2.2" in size or is that simply the version of the tire?

What pitch do these use? 64P or 48P?

Hey,

I've a set of Dirt hawgs and they dont have a 'tight' fit on the wheels like the standard super grippers. This is because Tamiya Star Dish wheel is 2.16 inches, so slightly smaller. If you want them, you'll have to glue them! Also IRRC when I put a steel 17T pinion in mine, it was 32 pitch.

Will

Hey,

I've a set of Dirt hawgs and they dont have a 'tight' fit on the wheels like the standard super grippers. This is because Tamiya Star Dish wheel is 2.16 inches, so slightly smaller. If you want them, you'll have to glue them! Also IRRC when I put a steel 17T pinion in mine, it was 32 pitch.

Will

Thanks for the quick response. I was looking for steel pinions on ebay and it seems like everything is 48P.

I read on here one guy uses rubber bands between the tire and wheel, instead of gluing them.

Thanks for the quick response. I was looking for steel pinions on ebay and it seems like everything is 48P.

I read on here one guy uses rubber bands between the tire and wheel, instead of gluing them.

Definately 32dp 17t or 19t. Try and avoid using a Traxxas steel pinion as they can be noisy, ( I have just ordered Robinson Racing part # 17t RRP0170 ).

Size 62 rubber bands work a treat. If you are using high power brushless then use rubber bands and CA glue.

installed the Slash bumper. Looks alot better in person that in the photo. Had to cut the Slash bumper down, then drill a few holes in the HB bumper, and mount with 4 screws.

Hopefully it'll keep my son from ripping the fenders off while bashing about.

Proline Dirthawg 2.2 buggy tires fit, but had to use a few drops of CA glue on each side to secure them.

Sorry for the ploopy pictures...camera-phone in incandescent light...

-

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

For a well priced and good fitting steel pinion search ebay for "mardave 32dp 17t pinion".

installed the Slash bumper. Looks alot better in person that in the photo.

I think it's looking good. Could you please tell me the part/article number of that bumper? I'm not that much into Traxxas, so I don't know if there are different sized Slashs and their bumpers - I don't want to buy the wrong bumper for my HB2010. :lol:

EDIT: Is it this one? -> http://www.traxxas-shop.eu/Bumper-Halter-vorn::4269.html

Thank you!

Anybody look into a replacement body?

I have bashed my so much the front fender has ripped off all the way back to the front roll cage area.

I think it's looking good. Could you please tell me the part/article number of that bumper? I'm not that much into Traxxas, so I don't know if there are different sized Slashs and their bumpers - I don't want to buy the wrong bumper for my HB2010. :lol:

EDIT: Is it this one? -> http://www.traxxas-shop.eu/Bumper-Halter-vorn::4269.html

Thank you!

That's the one. Stock Traxxas slash bumper. It was $10 at my local hobby shop.

For ripped loose fenders, I'm taping the underside with cloth tape. It's holding, but it won't take another impact. I may drill holes and use plastic wire ties to hold it together if it gets bashed gqain.

Hi, treated myself to a HB2010 at Xmas which my 6 year old Son has since commandeered as his!

He’s used and abused the buggy, frying the Tamiya esc by driving through puddles, splitting the wheel arch but we’ve both had such a good time and it’s bought back memories of me and my dad back in the 80’s finding areas of woodland to run my falcon, sorry about getting all nostalgic!

I do have a question, I’ve picked up a second HB2010 for me and was wondering if its safe to encase the Tamiya ESC in a balloon for wet weather driving? It will be running a silver can 540.

Thanks

Neil