mr crispy

Holiday Buggy Appreciation Society

Thanks for explaining that mate.

I'm running a standard Tamiya RS540 silver can with a Tamiya 19t pinion until I can get a steel replacement. I'll probably go for a 17t when I upgrade as balls out top speed isn't my thing and I'd prefer to stress the motor as little as possible.

Absolutely. You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

Just did some testing with 20 turn motors in my lunch box

they probably will be good in the HB also...they are like 3000 more RPM than the black sport tuned motor

Well just did another test with the 20 turn duratrax photon speed 2 motor and here is how it goes compaired to the electrix rc 20 turn

in my pumpkin

electrix 20 turn pills max 29 amps with my watt meter when driving tamiya stock ESC rated for continous 60 amps so these motors should be fine

duratrax 20 turn 28. something almost the same on the watt meter

duratrax RPM at the wheels is 200rpm faster

so best motor for the bang for the buck is the $11.99 sometimes free shipping on e-bay duratrax photon 2 speed motor.

What we needs is a event .. the Holiday Buggy 2010 RE RE Drag Race Sponsered by Joker Customs, Forward Automotive Products & Brite Light :lol:

Then see how many Gearboxes are destroyed in the quest for the fastest 2010 Holiday Buggy everrrrrrrr :):lol:

Why just a drag race? Why not Holiday Buggy-Lympics! Categories include a drag race, oval race, on-road race, long jump cometition (points for distance and style), best crash, and best driver paint job. :lol:

Why just a drag race? Why not Holiday Buggy-Lympics! Categories include a drag race, oval race, on-road race, long jump cometition (points for distance and style), best crash, and best driver paint job. :lol:

You forgot an event for seeing who can paint the body shell without it peeling off :lol:

Hello Guys . I'am new to the Holiday Buggy so i need some advice . If i do buy one the first thing i'll do is fit a 540 motor . Exactly how is this done ? What parts do i need to also buy ? I've heard that i also need to change the gears . Any advice you can give plz .

Hello Guys . I'am new to the Holiday Buggy so i need some advice . If i do buy one the first thing i'll do is fit a 540 motor . Exactly how is this done ? What parts do i need to also buy ? I've heard that i also need to change the gears . Any advice you can give plz .

If your fitting a 540 just a 17th pinion is needed and the card washer thing that goes on front of the motor, as the motor its self just slots in no mods needed.. I fitted metal ball races also .. but decided on a sports tuned 540, also fitted carson all terrain wheels & tyres and 3racing shocks.

Thanks i've used the 3 racing shocks on my blitzer and found them to be a massive improvement on the original items .

I'm currently building a Holiday Buggy with my 3 year old son. He takes all the parts off the trees and turns the screws and then I tighten them. He is absolutley loving the build. He gets rewarded for good behaviour by being able to build one step in the manual at a time. We will be building the gearbox tonight. I am going to ball race the gearbox, but leave the plastic bushings in the wheels just to slow things down a bit for him. He is a decent driver with my crawler, but gets in to trouble with my Frog. I will be using a TX/RX from a RTR Associated TC4 along with the 380 kit motor and kit TEU-104BK ESC. Going to keep it stock for a while until he gets used to it, then I will fit some oil shocks. Once he can handle it better, it will get a 540 silver can or a Sport Tuned. Loving the build so far and it is extra special being able to do it with my son.

DSC02236.jpg

Where is the motor? Assuming it's the Sport Tuned 540, and it's under a cover somewhere, doesn't it get fiendishly hot?

There's a vid of an HB2010 on Youtube in slow-mo and it basically looks like this one. Is it yours? Either way, it looks great in action and the Carson wheels/tyres reduce the visual impact of seeing those skinny stock wheels sticking an inch proud of the wheelarch. I have a chrome set of Carsons waiting to go on a Hornet for off-road use and was thinking of a Lunchbox in the new year for a bit of a change - but maybe I should look at something DT-02 based instead (belly-dragging or not). A shame it needs a bit of extra fiddliing to get the bigger motor and the shocks, but they're not expensive.

I run my HB with a 9T brushless system. Boy!, the motor temps are rocketed! Not sure why but after a long run, its nearly enought to burn your fingers!!

I run my HB with a 9T brushless system. Boy!, the motor temps are rocketed! Not sure why but after a long run, its nearly enought to burn your fingers!!

Because it's not ment for a 9T motor it uses way to large of a pinion gear!!

If your brushless motor is that hot you ruiend it the rotors magnet is now weakend from the heat... ideal temps for brushless motors is 140 to 150Deg anything hottor shortens motors life... In the holiday buggy a 3000KV to 3300 KV is probably the limit with its gearing to stay cool.

Where is the motor? Assuming it's the Sport Tuned 540, and it's under a cover somewhere, doesn't it get fiendishly hot?

There's a vid of an HB2010 on Youtube in slow-mo and it basically looks like this one. Is it yours? Either way, it looks great in action and the Carson wheels/tyres reduce the visual impact of seeing those skinny stock wheels sticking an inch proud of the wheelarch. I have a chrome set of Carsons waiting to go on a Hornet for off-road use and was thinking of a Lunchbox in the new year for a bit of a change - but maybe I should look at something DT-02 based instead (belly-dragging or not). A shame it needs a bit of extra fiddliing to get the bigger motor and the shocks, but they're not expensive.

No that YouTube video isn't mine but looks very similar. The motor is on the other side of the large circular cover in this picture and fits into a plastic well about 2/3 of the depth of the motor. I'm just running the standard Tamiya silver 540 and it's fast enough for my wants. it can get a little hot but look back into this thread and there's a few links to heat sinks and cooling solutions.

No that YouTube video isn't mine but looks very similar. The motor is on the other side of the large circular cover in this picture and fits into a plastic well about 2/3 of the depth of the motor. I'm just running the standard Tamiya silver 540 and it's fast enough for my wants. it can get a little hot but look back into this thread and there's a few links to heat sinks and cooling solutions.

Thanks - top answer!

It really looks good on those Carson rims, I have to say...

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing as I. I am using the kit friction shocks and I have found that the fronts don't seem to rebound. When I compress them, I almost have to pull them apart manually to extend them. The rears don't behave this way though. They are a pretty simple part to build so I don't think I have left anything out. Has anyone else experienced this or know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

Mark

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing as I. I am using the kit friction shocks and I have found that the fronts don't seem to rebound. When I compress them, I almost have to pull them apart manually to extend them. The rears don't behave this way though. They are a pretty simple part to build so I don't think I have left anything out. Has anyone else experienced this or know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark you need to take the tops off and put some more grease down inside the rubber tubing in them.

Hi Mark you need to take the tops off and put some more grease down inside the rubber tubing in them.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. I noticed that this kit didn't come with much grease compared to some of my other kits yet the instructions sure ask for a lot of it!

Mark

I get the same issue with the front kit shocks Mark but for some reason the ones on the HB2010 seem to loose their grease faster than any other friction shocks I've had. I'm guessing it's due to them being mounted upside down to the norm, this may allow the grease to escape quicker. Obvious answer is to replace them with some proper oil filled danpers like the 3racing set, which I'll be doing at some point.

If you want to see something funny, take the rubber tubes out and go for a quick run. Boing, boing, boing...

Another thing I've found with friction shocks is if you've cut the rubber tubing that goes inside too long, it can bunch up and bind the free movement of the piston. If you're having to force the top cap on under pressure from the tubing, take it out and trim the length by a few mm's. This helped mine a little but it still runs dry quickly and needs regular topping up with grease.

Hi, Ive just bought my 1st RC car a Holiday Buggy for £69.99, a bargain considering all the rave reviews on here. Ive read enough to know that my 1st upgrade should be the ball bearings - the manual says to buy the 1150 sealed ball bearing set (total 6) but what is the BDT02 Tamiya DT02 Chassis Ballrace Set? Do I need both? One UK website says this is for the HB, but not what it does. I am a complete newbie, so any other advice on how/what to upgradewould be much appreciated or directions to previously posted advice. Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

I believe you need a total of 14 bearings - size 1150 (which are Tamiya's label for 5x11 mm).

Qty. Size Location

4 5x11mm Gearbox

2 5x11mm Spur Gear

4 5x11mm Rear Axles

4 5x11mm Front Wheels

If running the kit supplied 380 motor it comes equipped with a brass pinion which is fine. If you upgrade to a 540 motor the sport tuned motor is a nice inexpensive upgrade, but it is essential to use a steel pinion gear instead of the soft Tamiya alloy pinion. The alloy pinions wear quickly and will damage your gears and you will end up replacing the entire gearbox - been there, done that, never again. Here is the steel replacement pinion I use: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXEX02&P=7

Oil shocks are a nice upgrade, but drive it for a bit and see how you like it. Welcome aboard and have fun with the build.

Hi jonathan, welcome to the fun house. The DT02 is the chassis code/name that our Holiday Buggies are built on. In japan it has its own race scene so you'll find a lot of racing upgrade parts on ebay that'll fit both the HB2010 and the DT02. If youre likely to drive it on dusty, sandy or wet conditions it would be worth getting some rubber sealed bearings for either the DT02 or Holiday Buggy 2010, they'll keep the muck out and shouldnt sieze up like the cheap metal shielded ones I fitted.

Other than bearings a maybe a steel pinion Id suggest its best to build it and run it, then you can see what you what the add or change next.

Well, the HB was a Christmas miracle at my house!!! I have been into RC stuff all my life, but my wife has had zero interest in my hobby. When Tamiya came out with the Red HB Edition, I decided to buy both models, just to have each one. Once i received them, I tossed the idea out there to my wife, that it might be fun if we both sat down and built one each. This way she could work with me on identical builds in case she got hung up. Well, she took the bait, and I set the hook real fast! We did the build over the Christmas holiday, and it became our Christmas miracle!!!! She really enjoyed the build, and even had a blast with her first ever drive. She giggled like a little kid, and like to show off her first RC car. The only upgrade so far on our HB's are 540 silver cans, and 17T pinions. Now she wants to do some more builds. I guess we have another Tamiya addict on our hands!!! I just bought a 2nd Subaru Brat, (already have one NIB) so we can get started on another build. I love those chassis as well, so I'm sure she will enjoy that build too!!