mr crispy

Holiday Buggy Appreciation Society

The 3 jumping Holiday Buggies pic is a beauty. Mars Bar challenge to the next person who can get a shot of 3 same Tamiya's jumping.

Some great action shots there Mad Racer. Have some of those buggies had the rear slotted panel cut out? Is that a racing mod, perhaps to help cooling or just a cosmetic change? Help you spot which car is yours.

Edit: I just read through this thread again and realised I hadn't tried running the HB with a 380 motor on 2s Lipos. Has anyone tried that and can they comment on the performance. Is it anything like a standard 540 with Nimh batts? Just wondering if the extra punch you get with a lipo would make enough difference and still have the long run times. Would the 380 motor even handle a lipo in the long term? Just an idea.

Finally got around to painting my chassis cover satin black today and made up some quick inner arches so you can't see under the body anymore.

Worked out the shape I needed in thin card making sure if cleared the steering and shock movement. Then transferred it to plasticard.

F66C48AA-E67A-4745-AF61-95D6BB42628C-5549-000005947B8F5A1E_zps4237c83b.jpg

Stuck the plasticard on with strong double sided tape.

6AB93932-825E-4818-B729-06B445CE8DB4-5549-00000594950CC075_zps5039874e.jpg

Did the same on the other side.

9EC2F3F5-DE5E-40B3-AE51-15DBA6D96CDB-5549-000005949C01D364_zps4f69fb88.jpg

Now there's no more gaping holes under the body shell :D

A53FA208-BF1F-4EB3-946C-15C3259EED7C-5549-00000594A5D65A2C_zps5e90ecc0.jpg

Simples!

Those racing shots of the HB's looks fantastic! I wish they had that class near me. My HB is one of my most used cars.

Any videos of them racing?

Nah... mine cost me less than £1, could be used as a ESC heat sink, holds itself on without Velcro and made me feel like a clever sod for making it :D

• Like 1

If anyone's interested I still have the template I used to make mine squirrelled away somewhere. I could get it drawn up so all you'd need to do is transfer it onto some alum sheet, cut it out and bend it to shape.

Or I could make it up myself but it would also sell for around £10 to make it worth while.

i want one of those but they have a £10 min order limit and i cant find anything else on their site i want or need or might need :blink::lol:

I had the same problem once. I ended up ordering the chassis cover + some decals to get over the 10 pounds threshold.

• Like 1

or you could order the excellent fan motor they do, or just order 2 covers !

plus its plastic, not a huge electrically conducting metal lid !

which is bad for radio interferance and dangerous when running a lipo

mobile bomb comes to mind :blink:

:o 2!!!!! , you do realize i'm Scottish :lol: 2 indeed, d'ya think am made o money! :lol: :lol:

:o 2!!!!! , you do realize i'm Scottish :lol: 2 indeed, d'ya think am made o money! :lol: :lol:

I had to order 2 anyway, I have 3 DT02 chassis as it is :ph34r:

I had to order 2 anyway, I have 3 DT02 chassis as it is :ph34r:

i was planning on getting another two HB 2010's but if the stock levels of the dt02 parts are anything to go by then tamiya are about to stop production :(:angry: , until i see evidence or some restocking of dt02 parts and hop ups i will hold off,

i really hope they dont as it is such a well mannered chassis even with brushless power :)

Conductive? Well yes I guess as great as aluminium is but no wiring or electrical equipment is touching it.

Dangerous to lipos?? For a lipo to get anywhere near the metal it would have to Houdini its way out of the battery compartment and the thick plastic fixing with "Tamiya" cut out of it. Besides as I understand its the lipo that's dangerous to my *******in car and if it was to decide to cook off the metal cover would help protect the bodyshell and passers by no?

Bad for radio Interference??? Have you read this whole thread? I already tested that and commented Ive had the car over 100ft or more away from me and still been in full control... thats with good old fashion 20th Century FM radio gear.

Really supper gripper you should try engaging your brain before accusing people of bomb making.

• Like 1

Conductive? Well yes I guess as great as aluminium is but no wiring or electrical equipment is touching it.

Dangerous to lipos?? For a lipo to get anywhere near the metal it would have to Houdini its way out of the battery compartment and the thick plastic fixing with "Tamiya" cut out of it. Besides as I understand its the lipo that's dangerous to my *******in car and if it was to decide to cook off the metal cover would help protect the bodyshell and passers by no?

Bad for radio Interference??? Have you read this whole thread? I already tested that and commented Ive had the car over 100ft or more away from me and still been in full control... thats with good old fashion 20th Century FM radio gear.

Really supper gripper you should try engaging your brain before accusing people of bomb making.

the alloy cover is no more dangerous than any car that uses alloy for its chassis or any other part of the components , i think its rather nifty and wouldnt mind getting the template if the offer still stands mr crispy? :)

expected responce. when something comes lose and shorts out in a big way please show a picture of the aftermath

the same can be said for carbon fibre mate, have you seen what that does when connected to a shorted battery? how many guys have cars built from it with alloy connecting all the carbon together :o not so much a bomb as a poison gas incendiary grenade :lol:

• Like 1

I don't get your negativity super gripper, its like you really have a hatred for this thing?

After your last comment I thought I'd check my chassis over, who knows you may have a point. The electrics have been there for almost 2 years now, using standard Tamiya kit servo tape to hold the ESC & receiver in place. Been used regularly and had a few big impacts and tumbling roll overs in that time. Nothing has moved, tape is still solid as ever and not showing signs of lifting (the cover does a great job of keeping water and debris out of the tub), no rubbed insulation or frayed wiring.

On top of that the only connections under the cover are all plastic plug insulated (servo receiver type plugs) and the battery connector. I've never had a Tamiya batt connector or receiver plug come loose and it still wouldn't have any metal contacts exposed. As for lipos they all have the Deans or "T" connectors which virtually need pliers to separate. The only wires to pass outside the cover are the motor wires and they are wrapped in that coiled plastic cable tidy stuff for extra protection, I also glued some craft foam to the area on the cover they pass near. The antenna is in a full length tube.

In those 2 years I can honestly say I've never once noticed a glitch or had it run away. I'm not even running with a fail safe as I just haven't needed it.

If I thought it was as dangerous as you feel obviously I wouldn't use it, but I truly don't think its a problem. We'll have to disagree but I promise if it turns into a fireball I'll PM you the photos personally and post them on the "What I've done today" thread :D Couldnt miss a photo opportunity like that!

Alfagta : Yes of course mate no problem... if you're sure you want to take the risk and promise not to use it for terrorist attacks :D. Found the template last night, I want to draw it out clearly on paper with measurements and scan it in. You should then be able to print it out and scale it to match the measurement. I'll let you know when it's done.

Here's my HB2010 to soften this thread :)

Mucho respect for the original but the HB2010 is budget quality. An excellent platform.

img30876_24052012200953_1.jpg

• Like 2

thats a nice pic :) , hope you dont mind if i steal it for my desktop background :ph34r::D

thats a nice pic :) , hope you dont mind if i steal it for my desktop background :ph34r::D

Thanks! :-) Yep, I don't mind who uses my pics :-)

• Like 1