Sign in to follow this  
nosthevamp

Do tamiya make a 257mm wheel base RWD touring car chassis?

As tittle.

I have a couple of 2wd off road cars, and a FWD touring car chassis I am working on, I have a couple of 257mm FWD shells a Mondeo and a Mk 5 Golf (got that because I used to have a full sized one), and a 257mm RWD shell, a 190E. I know Tamiya do/did the Mk 5 Golf and 190E with 4WD chassis but the Golf is not an R32 and the 190 was a RWD. I would like to have the correct type of drive that the 1:1 cars have.

I dont hink so. They have buggies but not touring cars. You could get a 4wd chassis and convert it to rwd or get the buggy and convert it to tourer.

I think the F103GT would be around the right dimensions (the one that came with the courage shell) I've a feeling it has a wheelbase of 260mm, hardly noticable.

Matt

Cheers guys, I see I can get a new TT01 sans electronics for less than I've paid for bits to rebuild my FF01. I think that is the chassis the 190 came with so it will definatly fit and I guess it would be easy to build it up as RWD.

Definatly something to think about when I've finished my FF01.

AMG 190E originally came on a TA01/2... later re-released on a TT01.

AMG 190E originally came on a TA01/2... later re-released on a TT01.

Cheers.

I guess thats why it fits my FF01 (I am pretty certain that the body is from a TA not TT because it is at least 16 years old), do you know if the TT01 has the mounts in the same place as the TA01/2? I ask because I bought a TT01 Golf GT Cup body and the holes did not quite line up with my FF01 mounts.

BTW does the TT01 have a centre diff (if not how does it get around the problems?), and to convert to RWD is all I need to do, is remove the front drive and prop shafts?

Kevin MC has added an extra chassis spacer and TL01 arms on an M04L chassis to make a RWD runner, and you can play with different body mounts to fit the shell.to your chassis.

Been looking what's avalable, do any of the 4WD chassis come with centre diffs?

I don't realy want to have to mess around to much with fitting parts from one chassis on another to change track, wheelbase etc. I am leaning towards a TT01E, this would seem to give me what I need

I've just won a TA01 chassis on Ebay, I'll be fixing this up for the 190. I'm looking to get a new TT01 aswell, I'll be using that for my Golf and/or Mondeo while the other is on my rebuilt FF01.

I got my TT01, a Drift version to which I have added a Carson Dragster sport 12t and ESC. In the end I decided to keep the AWD chassis that way instead of converting them to RWD.

In the end I came to the conclusion converting AWD to RWD was not such a good idea because of the brakes. As the brakes work by reversing the power through the motor, by converting to RWD I would be getting rid of the front brakes. With FWD I only lose the rear brakes which is not that bad as most of the braking is done through the front wheels anyway.

In the end I put the Mondeo on the TA01 and the Merc on the TT01. I am after an old FF01 to do up as a runner for the Mondeo so the Merc will go back on the TA01. I am hoping to add a ESC to the Golf and convert to 2.4, which has already got some some very rare Tamiya Hop-Ups and alloy uprights and hubs, all the standard scruffy but working fine parts and radio will go in the FF01 Mondeo.

I'll then be looking for a new shell to add to the TT01D.

Got the old FF01, it'll be change around time again and possibly will have to hunt around for some more bits.

The Golf is getting the Hopped Up FF01, the Mondeo is getting a the old FF01, the 190E is going back on the TA01 and the TT01D is getting a nice new set of clothes in the form of a Nissan GT-R.

Kevin MC has added an extra chassis spacer and TL01 arms on an M04L chassis to make a RWD runner, and you can play with different body mounts to fit the shell.to your chassis.

Cheers Tony, i was just coming on to post exactly that

mine's is an M04L with one extra spacer and shimmed TL01 arms to make it fit a 190x257mm touring car shell whilst still being RWD.

Its a fairly easy conversion with the right parts - http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=60917&hl=

i really need to finish off the shell and get out and using it

How do you get on with no front brakes, is it as bad as it would be with a real car?

I know my RWD Frog based car does not stop too well and still drives into things before I can stop, not as bad as the MB with MSC but even with a ESC it doesn't stop as well as my FF01 with MSC (not even got proper brakes just reverse).

i haven't run it yet, i've finished the chassis but not the shell yet so haven't bothered taking it out. That was a worry of mine's, i've gone for an ESC to try and help but for what i need it for it i won't need too much front braking tbh

I was tempted just to leave propshaftout of my AWDs to get RWD but in the end decided against it. Out of them all only one of my cars won't have the correct drive layout anyways.

The F103GT would be the closest match - not quite a tourer officially, but RWD and touring shell compatible. If you don't like it you can simply make one from a 4WD tourer by removing the front gearbox.

However, for better results (in theory), you can use the FF02 as a base. There are M03 RWD conversion 'how to's' on the net here and exactly the same can be done on the FF02, because it simply has a longer wheelbase and longer (TL01) suspension arms.

I was tempted just to leave propshaftout of my AWDs to get RWD but in the end decided against it. Out of them all only one of my cars won't have the correct drive layout anyways.

i tried that just to get an idea of what it was like and it was terrible! <_<

Cheers, that'll save me the touble of trying it myself.

Seems strange that for RC road cars front wheel drive works but not rear wheel drive.