Sign in to follow this  
BiggusDitchus

58044 Pajero decals

Lamborghini ( owned by the Volkswagen-Audi group now) absolutely hammered the Lambo replica industry a couple of years back in exactly the same fashion....difference being that Lamborghini didn't aim the firing squad directly at it's most important customers in the process, as Tamiya have done here.

Lamborghini ( owned by the Volkswagen-Audi group now) absolutely hammered the Lambo replica industry a couple of years back in exactly the same fashion....difference being that Lamborghini didn't aim the firing squad directly at it's most important customers in the process, as Tamiya have done here.

Maybe we're not as important to them as we think we should be. :wacko:

Maybe we're not as important to them as we think we should be. :wacko:

We aren't, that is the point. It's why I dropped being a tamiya dealer when I ran a hobby shop 12 years ago.

Mattle,Tomy, tyco, hpi, traxxas, associated, Losi, care more for the customer base.

...and now *****'s repro bodies suddenly disappear from ebay. It's a massacre. :)

Rcgrabbag and Ant are next for resin reproductions.

***** is claiming postal strike in Canada as the reason he is shut down.

---

Sellers have begun editing company profiles on Ebay to reflect that they have never sold reproductions and looked down on others that did. Interesting.

This is a serious dent in my appreciation for Tamiya and the hobby in general, particularly the actions against repro producers (although I appreciate why). I can't imagine the repro producers make enough money to dent Tamiya's bottom line so I can only hope that Tamiya themselves are planning on re-releasing certain parts. In fact, given the costs involved I suspect Tamiya won't find it as profitable.

For example (and this is my specific example) ***** has 46 repro Falcon bodies (wanted one of those and a Manta Ray body set) for £15 a pop. Tamiya would need to produce a considerably greater volume to achieve economies of scale and achieve a level of profitability. Chances are they won't sell (otherwise why is ***** holding 46?) so in the long run Tamiya sells them cheap to shift them and takes a loss.

Chances are they won't produce the rere bodysets then, but only full rerekits to make it profitable. And why would I buy one of those when I have an original kit albeit with a slightly tatty body?

I'm now faced with a collection of cars that I can't restore to full glory using ***** bodies (and won't bother buying any cars that need a new bodyset - like the one I've got my eye on now), and I'm not paying over the odds for an original bodyset so I'll probably end up dumping the rest of my collection that I don't feel I can restore to a decent standard.

I'm really quite upset (can't use the correct terminology) by the result of Tamiya's actions.

Thanks TWINSET for the update and the sad news of the outcome, i am sure all agree on this site and others that the last thing we need is the sites to be shut down as well as it would be like losing a friend.

Any updates will be greatly recieved.

And as someone else has mentioned expect the counter-fit fake parts to start poping up from certain countrys.

Does that mean members that show the Tamiya symbol and segments from there manual have to remove them from there topic and Avator?

GING

From Netsmith;

Tamiya have agreed to take no further action with regard to infringements of copyright on both the decals and manuals on the site, in light of our swift cooperation and also the support we have shown them through the years.

From the beginning these items were always a grey area and I always said if Tamiya asked TC to stop we would do so - that time has come.

As part of my argument I did point out that were were simply providing a service to user who wanted to repair their old models and much of the information was no longer available.

Its my feeling the rereleases has stirred things up a little.

They understand the requirement for these manuals and point out that many are available as parts, and an increasing number are being made available via their own site.

The alternative to complying with their demands was the prospect of a long drawn out legal battle, with no guarantee of success. Either way there would be costs in time, money and stress I could not afford.

I appreciate your support throughout the matter but this particular fight is now over.

I know from experience that Tamiya are a 'funny' company to do business with (not just on this matter) so where as talk of petitions and letters are appreciated, I know they will a) not sway them and :) are likely to antagonize them further.

So that's it. Unless anything changes, which seem highly unlikely, the manuals and decals are now gone from the site.

We must insist that manuals or links to manuals, artwork for decals or associated links are not published on this site anywhere. Please also do not ask me or anyone else associated with the running of the site for copies as we will not supply them.

Regards

Chris

So that's it - no more manuals on TC, and no more advertising copies of manuals or 'reproduction' decals.

Any trades offering or requesting such will be deleted I'm afraid

It's actually true. I thought it was convenient cover up :) but I checked the CanadaPost website and they are indeed on strike of some sort.

Rcgrabbag and Ant are next for resin reproductions.

---

Sellers have begun editing company profiles on Ebay to reflect that they have never sold reproductions and looked down on others that did. Interesting.

Canada Post is on strike see here Clicky

I think Teambluegroove will be ok as there models have slight differences to Tamiya originals. I just got their porsche 959 v3 and it is identical except for the window detailing is different and the rear has no undertuck as on Tamiya's. Yes it is a replica of a Tamiya product but not a exact replica, this i think makes the difference to them being able to sell them.

Colin.

It's actually true. I thought it was convenient cover up :) but I checked the CanadaPost website and they are indeed on strike of some sort.

You beat me to it!!!! ;)

So decals and manuals are gone and repro parts are soon to be gone too. That isn't good news.

I've got vintage Scorcher shells that still need the parts that the re-re doesn't have.

Is anyone else panic buying up stuff like I am?

(N.B. PLEASE DON'T POST WHERE YOU'RE BUYING FROM IF YOU ARE!)

Years ago I can remember trying in import some Chevron rc bodies from a shop in Japan and they refused to export them to the UK due to issues with the true car companies in europe! I managed to get some from a trader and if you look at the decals they ve done you can see the way in which they have split the names so not to break copyright laws.

http://www.ccn3.aitai.ne.jp/~chevron/tsl006-1.htm

It no point can you see the word Lancia ;)

Same with the Audi

http://www.ccn3.aitai.ne.jp/~chevron/tsl012-1.htm

Or should that be A i. But they have supplied the letters u and d plus 2 extra rings to make the Audi logo, clever! :)

Love how they split the Quattro to Qua ttro even tho Quattro is 4 in Italian (Which im pretty sure no one can copyright lol), although perhaps the "Quattro" in that typeface was copyrighted?.

I wonder how long it will be before we see decals for RC cars with "Iya Tam" on them and blackfoot decals called "Foot Black" with manufacturer logo as "RD FO".

"Is anyone else panic buying up stuff like I am?"

I had this bad feeling in DEC 2010 and i went on this buying spree trying to finish up restores I've had sitting for literally 15 years.

looks like i got out just a month shy of the stuff hitting the fan.

"Is anyone else panic buying up stuff like I am?"

I had this bad feeling in DEC 2010 and i went on this buying spree trying to finish up restores I've had sitting for literally 15 years.

looks like i got out just a month shy of the stuff hitting the fan.

Y'know what the worst thing about Tamiya's purge is? Timing. I really can't afford to be just spending like this at this particular moment in time but if I don't buy what I need right now who knows when (or even if) I'll be able to finish off any of my Scorcher shells? I'm only able to afford the bare minimum so, when parts arrive, the pressure will really be on because if I mess them up I'll truly be up a certain undesirable creek without any particular method of propulsion. :)

Oh... the fun! ;)

...and now *****'s repro bodies suddenly disappear from ebay. It's a massacre. :)

No, it's due to the Canada Post strike. ***** uses Canada Post for shipping. ***** emailed me yesterday because I just ordered a body from them and they asked if I wanted to wait for the strike to end or for a refund.

Edit: I should read all the way to the end of the thread before hitting reply. Sorry. ;)

i figured out 58500 will be Lawsuits in a kit box with this cover art

objection-court-out-of-order-lawyer-attorney-object.jpg

Actually that would be a really cool decal set somebody needs to print up.

This is a serious dent in my appreciation for Tamiya and the hobby in general, particularly the actions against repro producers (although I appreciate why). I can't imagine the repro producers make enough money to dent Tamiya's bottom line so I can only hope that Tamiya themselves are planning on re-releasing certain parts. In fact, given the costs involved I suspect Tamiya won't find it as profitable.

For example (and this is my specific example) ***** has 46 repro Falcon bodies (wanted one of those and a Manta Ray body set) for £15 a pop. Tamiya would need to produce a considerably greater volume to achieve economies of scale and achieve a level of profitability. Chances are they won't sell (otherwise why is ***** holding 46?) so in the long run Tamiya sells them cheap to shift them and takes a loss.

Chances are they won't produce the rere bodysets then, but only full rerekits to make it profitable. And why would I buy one of those when I have an original kit albeit with a slightly tatty body?

I'm now faced with a collection of cars that I can't restore to full glory using ***** bodies (and won't bother buying any cars that need a new bodyset - like the one I've got my eye on now), and I'm not paying over the odds for an original bodyset so I'll probably end up dumping the rest of my collection that I don't feel I can restore to a decent standard.

I'm really quite upset (can't use the correct terminology) by the result of Tamiya's actions.

The frustrating part is that all they would have to do is whip up a few licensing agreements. "OK, you can make and sell close-but-not-quite-perfect clones of our old designs, but we get $1 (or $3 or $5) from each one you sell." I can't imagine anyone here would object to spending a few extra bucks for the full blessing of the home office. Then Tamiya gets a little money, we get repro bodies, and the hobby (and Universe as a whole) gets a little less churlish and lawyery. It's a win-win.

(anybody from Tamiya out there listening?)

It's turning into a farce. Tamiya's stupid imaginary names Scorcher decals for 7 quid or be ripped off royally with original 1979 Scorcher decals with REAL sponsor names costing... wait for it... 95 quid on Ebay :)

THANKS A BUNCH TAMIYA YOU ROTTEN LOT.

Cheers,

ARG

Yeah, it sucks how Tamiya are too tight to put the real sponsor decals on the re-releases. The real sponsor decals are much cooler, it makes the car feel just that bit more real and authentic.

But if decal sheets that just so happen to contain only the needed real sponsor decals became available though - that would be good... Just sayin'...

- James

i figured out 58500 will be Lawsuits in a kit box with this cover art

Great idea! :)

Let's cover up our Tamiya decals with these. ;)

I've just purchaced decals for a Blazer here on TC, the sale seemed to go through ok

I just hope they are avalable,and are delvered. It would be a disaster for restorers if ALL repo decals are "outlawed"

I have received the decals I ordered from there just before all the fuss started, perfect Blazer decals, NO word of tamiya or its trade mark anywhere on them

prob the last set sold...... :)

I'd be up for a set or two! Where is this from? Any more pics of this character?

Just a thought but with Tamiya clamping down on the re-pro decal and parts market on copyright grounds, does this mean that they have spotted that there is a market for such things and that the intention is to make decals and other vintage spares available again ?

Guess they still have all the original tooling available, how many of a part do they have to make for it to be commerically viable ?

A few hundred or a couple of thousand maybe ? Depends on the part / complexity.

Don't dismiss this possibility, maybe something positive will come out of it after all ?

They have, after all re-re'd complete kits in low numbers - Black 934 for example.

Thoughts ? Comments ?

[Topics merged, one thread on this is enough for everyone]

We don't know what the future holds. Maybe Tamiya are planning to re-release a range of vintage decals and/or bodies or they may allow licensed repro's - we just don't know. I'd be surprised if some of the bean counters at Tamiya haven't already worked out what's viable and what isn't.

I'm sure we'll start to see new or re-designed decal sheets popping up on the bay before long, maybe bodies too, as people find ways to work round the current restrictions.

In time we may find that we've got more choice than ever - re-released stuff, licensed repros and 'work-around' bodies and decals. Who knows?

None of this has changed my opinion of Tamiya or my planned purchases. My brand loyalty is based on the fact that they produce wonderful kits that have brought many, many hours of enjoyment to me and my family.