Percymon

Brushless motor advice - Durga

Apologies for the silly questions, but hopefully they are easy answers !

OK, so my ebay Durga arrived today. It came fitted with a Losi b9500 sensored ESC which i gather is rated at 100A continuous, 540A burst. I think the car previously ran a 13.5T Losi motor (judging by the Losi box that came with in the package), but that wasn't included in the sale so i need a motor. 13.5T seems a bit weedy for a Durga ?

Q1 - would i be better with a low turn motor (say 8.5T/6.5T) to run off my current 2S li-pos, or would a higher turn 13.5T be a better option running from a 3S li-po ?

Q2 - I guess overall there isn't much difference to the actual motor speed of the two options in Q1 above, so is one kinder to the ESC ?

Q3 - do i need to use a Losi motor with a Losi ESC ? If i use a different motor will the sensor cable still work ?

Sorry for the queries, but i've tended to buy brushless packages to date !

Check what motor limit the ESC has, rather than the current limit.

Stick with 2s - it will give plenty of performance and fits in the car correctly.

13.5 might be a bit sluggish in a 4wd, something approaching 6.5 should have a lot more go.

Any sensored 540-size racing motor should work. There are lots to choose from.

I would go for 8.5t to 11.5t and then go 3s lipo.

Go for higher turn as it will have more torque and handle higher voltage.

13.5t and 3s would have alot of low down power, but you prob want more high end aswell.

What sorta speed do you want? 50mph?

In addition to what digitrc said...

What do you want to do with the car.........? (Do you want to race/drive around a track, or just drive very fast in a straight line (bashing)..?)

Are your driving abilities good enough to handle a 6.5..? (no offence)

What are the rating(s) on your 2S batteries..? (will the "C" rating cope with the current draw)

Will the Durga cope with a 6.5...? (I know that I may be banished from Tamiyaclub for asking this, but it had to be asked..)

Are you prepared for the additional running costs (i.e. worn/broken parts and tyres) that you get when running a hot modified motor...?

Cheers

PS. And before you consider running 3S, check that your ESC will cope with the voltage, and then cope with 3S and the motor you want to run..

This is the ESC spec, according to Wheelspin Models site..

1/10 Xcelorin S Brushless Electronic Speed Control

Key Features

•Fully programmable sensored ESC for most brushless 540-sized motors of 3.5 turns or more

•Three stored profiles accessible for convenience

•Software interface for unlimited profile settings and tuning

•PC setup software CD included for complete configuration of profiles

•Quick Programming Card

•Forward/Braking or Forward/Braking/Reverse configuration

•Single-step transmitter setup

•Optimized for spread spectrum or traditional radio systems

•Four LEDs to indicate functions, settings and errors

•Adjustable low voltage cutoff

•Automatic thermal protection

•Throttle limits can be set for Forward, Reverse or both

ESC Specifications

Input voltage: NiMH 4-12 Cells or 4.8-14.4V; LiPo 2-3 Cells or 7.4-11.1V

VEC: 6.0V / 3A

Operating Current: 100A continuous; 540A peak

Motor Limit: 3.5T or higher sensored brushless motors

On-Resistance:0.00040

Low Voltage Cutoff: Adjustable via program card or PC interface

Drive Profiles: Multipe with program card; unlimited with PC interface

Operating Frequency: Spread spectrum optimized or traditional radio systems

Dimensions (WxLxH): 1.1 x 1.54 x 1.3 in (29.5 x 39 x 33.2mm); height without fan installed: 0.9in (23mm)

Weight: 1.7 oz (48 g) without lead wires

So i guess i'm good to go with pretty much any motor. At £130 for the ESC new, it seems i didn't have such a bad buy afterall with the Durga.

I have an EZRun 13T combo coming shortly , but i'm passing that straight on to another member here by the looks of it.

Provided i can use any manufacturuers motor then i'll probably look out for a used 8.5/6.5T initially and see what its like. Seems the sensor wire/plug is an industry standard so my fears were perhaps unfounded

The car came with spare wishbones, its also had some upgrades already (mainly springs, CF shock towers etc) as it was used as a club racer by last owner (hence why i wondered whether 13.5T was too slow).

I'll only be using it for bashing, i've not the time for racing unfortunatley especially as anything near me seems to be nitro or carpet racing only.

As to my driving ability, well i'm no expert but i do tend to drive in places with plenty of space and the odd bank for jumps etc !

My batteries are 25C or 30C rated ,3800mAh - 4000mAh so i should be ok (just), but i'm happy to get higher C rated ones from hobbyking if needbe.

Go for a quality 6.5 turn sensored motor and run it on 2s. It will be very quick. 3s would not be needed.

Dont get me wrong I run 3s in some stuff, but if I had a durga with that ESC I would be running a 5.5 or a 6.5 on 2s.

Go for a quality 6.5 turn sensored motor and run it on 2s. It will be very quick. 3s would not be needed.

Dont get me wrong I run 3s in some stuff, but if I had a durga with that ESC I would be running a 5.5 or a 6.5 on 2s.

+1, If you're bashing and running the stock 91T spur with an ESC that has sensors on itself and the motor, throw a sensored 5.5T on the thing with a 18T pinion and see what happens. Bashing is tougher on the thing than racing so you might be okay or may have to invest in a bigger pinion :lol:

On my local track my Baldre is running 91/24 on a 9T EzRun, and my B44 is 84/17 on a 5.5T.

My Durga is the guinea pig where I throw what ever in it to see what happens. It's run motors from 4.5T to 21.5T motors, spur gears from 75T to 91T, and pinion from 17T to 32T in different combinations all in the interest of science (with the 9T 91/24 setup in the Baldre being the best so far)

Having a Baldre and Durga, I have no idea of how you would get a reasonable capacity 3S pack (more than 3000mAh) to fit in the thing (especially in the Durga.)

Managed to drop on a 8.5t sensired motor tonight fir under £20. Will be good enough to judge future options, hopefully it'll be enough for my driving!

Managed to drop on a 8.5t sensired motor tonight fir under £20. Will be good enough to judge future options, hopefully it'll be enough for my driving!

How many lipo cells will the motor/esc take? 4s lipo would be intersting.

How many lipo cells will the motor/esc take? 4s lipo would be intersting.

Besides being over powered and screwing up the balance of the toy, how would he get a 4S pack to fit under the body shell?

BatteryProblem1.jpg

BatteryProblem2.jpg

Besides being over powered and screwing up the balance of the toy, how would he get a 4S pack to fit under the body shell?

BatteryProblem1.jpg

BatteryProblem2.jpg

I love the Hotshot livery you got on it! :P

A Dremel, blue tack and a lot of hope :D

No chance :P

Ok ok. Just thinking out loud. Pritty sure with alittle bit of work you could get it in. However i dont think percymon was thinking that way anyway.

8.5t and 2s-3s is the best option.

2S and a 8.5T with the timing turned up should be enough for the next 12 months ! Famous last words lol!